The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

Racists were always there yes but they were suppressed. Now the likes of Theresa May, Botis Johnson, Nigel Farage and the RWM have positively encouraged them to crawl from under the rocks where they hid

They were suppressed for a very short period.  Racism was openly expressed in the 70s and 80s, became unfashionable and disapproved of in the 80s and 90s, was not very evident in the 00s, at least compared with previous decades, and has become more evident and brazen in the last couple of years.

(Time periods may contain rounding errors).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Social media is their new megaphone. 

Yes.  Though many use anonymity to express their racism, which suggests they are wary of being open about their views,  which is something to hold on to.

24 minutes ago, peterms said:

They were suppressed for a very short period.  Racism was openly expressed in the 70s and 80s, became unfashionable and disapproved of in the 80s and 90s, was not very evident in the 00s, at least compared with previous decades, and has become more evident and brazen in the last couple of years.

I think the fact it’s becomes more evident and brazen (mainly due to social media) has shown me personally just how much people despise it and are not going to tolerate it. That’s what I’m seeing now.

I actually used to think the country was a lot more racist than it is.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Confused 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the fact it’s becomes more evident and brazen has shown just how much people despise it and are not going to tolerate it. That’s what I’m seeing now. 

Eh? 

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Eh? 

I probably didn’t write that correctly. What I mean is for example when I see racism on social media I see an overwhelming amount of hatred towards it. The racist is well and truly shunned and probably regrets their actions. 

If these people kept it suppressed. I never would have known how much people are against it. The response to racism in the country by the vast majority of people makes me feel proud.

Does that make sense? 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

11 hours ago, peterms said:

We’ve kinda done this discussion  before but I still think a lot of the rise in racism is down to the economy 

We had a long period where the  economy was kinda booming , we were cool Britannia the people were happy , immigration was far from peoples mind , nobody really cared about the bloke who didn’t speak English who cleaned your car   ... then  Browns recession hit :D ( don’t waste ink , I know ) and the perception was that immigrants get it better , Positive discrimination , PC gone mad etc and even when it was them Bears we all knew it was really those pesky immigrants ,

Resentment started to build up then people that were previously shunned as racist nut jobs suddenly found a platform and instead of being chased away by a mob brandishing pitchforks they started getting likes and followers and then people started sharing stuff on a public forum that previously they only whispered with their mates down the pub , people weren’t racist they were on first name terms with their local Indian waiter , and they chatted about the weather and cricket with the muslim dad they met at the school gates , the rest want to force us to live under Sharia law but he’s alright cause he’s one of us he drinks beer and knows the offside rules  ...the  people were fed a boogyman and were happy to accept it.

Edited by tonyh29
spelling
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

I think I need to leave this country... I cannot believe that political organisations are using Nazi imagery against the Germans and that people are actually applauding it. Utterly disgusting.

12 hours ago, blandy said:

It's gross, isn't it?. Absolute throbbers.

Somehow there's another one that's even worse:

It's hard to be hopeful about much when this sort of shit is being posted. If I try, though, it seems to me that they are over-extending themselves here. Most people know the sort of person who calls people 'krauts' and sings 'No Surrender' and those people already loved everything about Brexit. I think and hope that it's very off-putting to marginal voters in the Brexit vote.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's hard to be hopeful about much when this sort of shit is being posted. If I try, though, it seems to me that they are over-extending themselves here. Most people know the sort of person who calls people 'krauts' and sings 'No Surrender' and those people already loved everything about Brexit. I think and hope that it's very off-putting to marginal voters in the Brexit vote.

It's who it's posted by as well, Wigmore and Banks have both apologised for "going too far", when they should be apologising for xenophobic hate speech. The No Surrender post is basically sectarian which in the current climate is worse than the kraut one really if you live in NI. There was also the Churchill two fingers post which repeated the two world wars bullshit. We are part of the EU still, so this language of being at war with the EU is ridiculous but just look at the comments on Wigmore and Banks' apologies, lots of very dodgy stuff in there with people egging them on. They push this EU Reich, German Empire line very hard and people swallow it, it's amazing, if there is anyone in line with the politics of the Reich it's Farage, Wigmore and Banks. Millions died fighting that kind of politics, not EU centrist social capitalism. I'm not the biggest fan of the EU being abotu business first and people second but that's a fight for another day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Looks like they are going for the bad publicity is better than no publicity approach. 

It’s not going to helps their cause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Their hero was the bloke on the other side.

I get the sentiment but aren't you as guilty as the people you've been ridiculing with statements like that ?

Clearly those tweets are trying to appeal to a certain kind of person , dare i say ones with low intelligence , but I'm not aware of any Brexiter who is advocating mass genocide nor do i suspect they have posters of der Führer on their bedroom walls

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

but I'm not aware of any Brexiter who is advocating mass genocide nor do i suspect they have posters of der Führer on their bedroom walls

I guarantee you every Neo-Nazi dickhead in the country voted to leave. I've even been on protests in opposition to pro-Brexit marches organised by groups like the NW Infidels etc

So you being unaware doesn't make your statement correct

• Like 2

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

It's who it's posted by as well, Wigmore and Banks have both apologised for "going too far", when they should be apologising for xenophobic hate speech. The No Surrender post is basically sectarian which in the current climate is worse than the kraut one really if you live in NI. There was also the Churchill two fingers post which repeated the two world wars bullshit. We are part of the EU still, so this language of being at war with the EU is ridiculous but just look at the comments on Wigmore and Banks' apologies, lots of very dodgy stuff in there with people egging them on. They push this EU Reich, German Empire line very hard and people swallow it, it's amazing, if there is anyone in line with the politics of the Reich it's Farage, Wigmore and Banks. Millions died fighting that kind of politics, not EU centrist social capitalism. I'm not the biggest fan of the EU being abotu business first and people second but that's a fight for another day.

The main thing I don't get with the poster is yes we won two World Wars, but since then has been the longest period of peace in Western Europe in history because the major nations have gone for an idea of cooperation, with the EU the main example, rather than allowing resentment and hate fester with the possible result in a WWIII.  These people need a basic history lesson but I fear they just live in the echo chamber of social media getting fed this sort of shite and are incapable of analysing it properly.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I get the sentiment but aren't you as guilty as the people you've been ridiculing with statements like that ?

Clearly those tweets are trying to appeal to a certain kind of person , dare i say ones with low intelligence , but I'm not aware of any Brexiter who is advocating mass genocide nor do i suspect they have posters of der Führer on their bedroom walls

It's designed to appeal to the crowd that are constantly evoking the language of war and still go to football matches and sing "no surrender to the IRA". The kind of nasty right-wing racists we're constantly told didn't all vote to leave because "we can't possibly know that, because we weren't in the voting booths when they placed their cross".

I feel vindicated that I've constantly maintained that there's a real undercurrent of racism and xenophobia in the leave side. A fear of all things foreign and a harking back to the days where Britainnia ruled the waves and faces were white.

It's not the only reason people voted to leave...but surely after seeing this, that disgusting "breaking point" poster and the constant cries of "we want our country back", even you can't deny it's a pretty major one.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â