The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

On the subject of crap, I see that Osborne has been released from his cell and has told us that, even though he doesn't 'resile' from anything he said in the campaign, it's all going to be okay and he doesn't seem to have mentioned anything about the need to have an emergency budget, raise taxes and slash spending as a result of the vote result.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

If, as seems likely, it's going to mean short-term (5 to 10 years) pain, followed by a better long-term future, then it's the younger generation that's better off. At least they'll get there; us old codgers will just get all the shit and then die! 

I think the thing that annoys me most is that the whole of my adult life (from 20 onwards), has been spent in a recession. We are finally getting out of it and things are starting to look up, i'm now able to go buy a property, car, stable job etc etc...   and for some stupid idiotic reason the old people of this country have completely decided to gamble my whole future on.... what appears to be no plan whatsoever?!?  

I don't want more short term pain of 5-10 years in hope things get better, things are getting better as it is, jut let it be. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think the thing that annoys me most is that the whole of my adult life (from 20 onwards), has been spent in a recession. We are finally getting out of it and things are starting to look up, i'm now able to go buy a property, car, stable job etc etc...   and for some stupid idiotic reason the old people of this country have completely decided to gamble my whole future on.... what appears to be no plan whatsoever?!?  

I don't want more short term pain of 5-10 years in hope things get better, things are getting better as it is, jut let it be. 

Yea, I graduated in 2008 :lol: that sucked.

As a result, I had to take a job in the Energy Sector, I got my degree in Environmental Management/Science - The Environmental sector (at the time) took a huge hit in jobs on the market.  The recession of 2007 completely took the feet out from under it. Shame as I'd have loved to have had a career in it.

So 2 years ago, I got a decent job (pay wise, I don't "enjoy" it though) as an Energy Analyst.  Not bad, then this has happened and management has already sent emails out saying things will be staying as they are for the foreseeable. So in my (to date) 10 year career, I've had 1 pay rise, which is the result of me changing companies.

BUT THANKS TO EVERYONE DOE.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Recession for most of your life?

The numbers tell a different story.

Numbers on the left = recession

Numbers on the right = not

Recession_1923_39.jpgLast_20_Years_GDP.jpg 

37 minutes ago, snowychap said:

On the subject of crap, I see that Osborne has been released from his cell.....

He wasn't locked in a cell. He was busy negotiating with Boris for the role of Foreign Secretary (or so I've heard).

14 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Recession for most of your life?

The numbers tell a different story.

Numbers on the left = recession

Numbers on the right = not

Recession_1923_39.jpgLast_20_Years_GDP.jpg 

Not too sure what your point is? Are you trying to deny that the country went into a recession in 2007? To which, it took about 6 or 7 years to get out of? 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

So many people went for it on the basis of pumping hundreds of millions into the NHS.

If these people experienced an NHS locally that clearly didn't need money pumped into it as they received the care they needed when they needed it,  then maybe they would have voted to remain ?  Cameron's mistake was to try and make out that everything is great now,  it will be worse if we leave.  What if someone told him that the majority think it's shit now ?

19 minutes ago, choffer said:

He wasn't locked in a cell. He was busy negotiating with Boris for the role of Foreign Secretary (or so I've heard).

I thought the rumour was that he was checking with everyone whether he still had a shot at being PM?

Either way, you can bet he's spent the last few days trying to sort out his own future rather than anyone else's. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Just now, snowychap said:

I thought the rumour was that he was checking with everyone whether he still had a shot at being PM?

Either way, you can bet he's spent the last few days trying to sort out his own future rather than anyone else's. :)

Maybe he's hedging his bets in having a backup plan. I know* he's been making a lot of calls to and about the foreign office this weekend though. 

* Obviously I don't "know" but I have a relatively good source.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Not too sure what your point is? Are you trying to deny that the country went into a recession in 2007? To which, it took about 6 or 7 years to get out of? 

The economy was just pining for the fjords.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Don't ask me just look at the numbers.

2009 is the only year in which the GDP shrank but it was greater than it was in 2008 by 2010.

I don't wish to rob you of your miserable narrative, far from it, I'm just pointing out that the numbers don't bear that narrative out. :)

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Voter apathy in the young. Yet they are the group that will probably be affected the most by our decision to leave. If they had got their arses to the polling station the vote may have been different (I did see a stat saying that nearly 70% of the young who voted, voted to remain, so its not unrealistic to think the result would have changed if the youth turnout had been the same as the older groups)

Perhaps if they could vote via an app on their smartphones it might be different! 

I know you're joking, but given the already farcical nature of the entire future of this nation being decided via a single vote on a pissing wet Thursday, the Government should be using every single resource available to ensure maximum turnout.

Why not have an app? Why not allow people to both register and to vote online on the day itself? It's 2016.

he whole pencil on paper thing is so ridiculously antiquated. The transport system in London was **** on that Thursday too because of the weather, a friend of a friend had to walk home from Central London to Wimbledon and missed the opportunity to vote remain as a result. Who is supposed to have that kind of foresight?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Oh here we go....it's all the 'old people' who are stupid & idiotic today not just the 'poor people'

Can 'all you childish, selfish remainers' not comprehend someone having a different opinion & outlook on things?

What happens if this decision results in you having a better job/lifestyle in 10 years time?

Or is that absolutely, categorically beyond the realms of possibilty?

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I know you're joking, but given the already farcical nature of the entire future of this nation being decided via a single vote on a pissing wet Thursday, the Government should be using every single resource available to ensure maximum turnout.

Why not have an app? Why not allow people to both register and to vote online on the day itself? It's 2016.

he whole pencil on paper thing is so ridiculously antiquated. The transport system in London was **** on that Thursday too because of the weather, a friend of a friend had to walk home from Central London to Wimbledon and missed the opportunity to vote remain as a result. Who is supposed to have that kind of foresight?

How about the millions of votes remain got from the apathetic comfortable lot who just settled for the status quo?

Young people need an app to vote? If they can't get off they're lazy arses and workout how to put an 'x' in a box then thank god they didn't vote....just imagine 'that lot' running the show in years to come?!!

This just gets more pathetic by the day

8 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Oh here we go....it's all the 'old people' who are stupid & idiotic today not just the 'poor people'

Can 'all you childish, selfish remainers' not comprehend someone having a different opinion & outlook on things?

What happens if this decision results in you having a better job/lifestyle in 10 years time?

Or is that absolutely, categorically beyond the realms of possibilty?

If you're part of the baby boomers then you've had the best opportunities given to you since forever.

It's a shame you couldn't have afforded the same (or better) opportunities to your own kids' generation because you want some weird preconceived ideas of "power" back.

No one over the age of 70 should have been allowed to vote, even if they "fought" for the right to vote or whatever today's rhetoric is.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â