Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

19 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

So we should all pull together and respect each other's opinions, until they want to do something different to the walkout at which point they're being ridiculous?

Got it.

Many, many different options are allowed in this world and thankfully you don't have to stick to just one.

Is a boycott better? Of course, an empty Villa Park on live TV would send an incredible message but as many have pointed out, its not going to happen.

The next best option is OTDO74 so if you believe that a change needs to happen I implore you to get involved with it, put to one side your support of a full boycott, and remember that there are other ways of showing our disgust through unity and solidarity.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Many, many different options are allowed in this world and thankfully you don't have to stick to just one.

Is a boycott better? Of course, an empty Villa Park on live TV would send an incredible message but as many have pointed out, its not going to happen.

The next best option is OTDO74 so if you believe that a change needs to happen I implore you to get involved with it, put to one side your support of a full boycott, and remember that there are other ways of showing our disgust through unity and solidarity.

I don't support a "full boycott". I support people's right to do whatever they want to do without being told that they are being ridiculous. Whether that is walking out after 74 minutes, staying until the end of the match or not bothering to go at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

I don't support a "full boycott". I support people's right to do whatever they want to do without being told that they are being ridiculous. Whether that is walking out after 74 minutes, staying until the end of the match or not bothering to go at all.

Well in regards to that, what @Stevo985 says answers that point.

What i'm asking you is, will you support THIS movement that has been organised?

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

As above, if people were ACTUALLY boycotting, then I'm positive Mike wouldn't be calling it ridiculous. In fact I imagine he'd be more than happy to join in.

What's ridiculous is shooting down the protest that is being organised because you'd prefer a different protest that is never going to happen.

8 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Well in regards to that, what @Stevo985 says answers that point.

What i'm asking you is, will you support THIS movement that has been organised?

Support in what sense? I won't be at the match so I won't be walking anywhere.

Support their aims? Absolutely, best of luck to them. And I also support those people who would rather stick around and watch the last 16 minutes of their team playing football as well. Who have the right to do that without being called apathetic.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Support their aims? Absolutely, best of luck to them. And I also support those people who would rather stick around and watch the last 16 minutes of their team playing football as well. Who have the right to do that without being called apathetic.

The only people who are apathetic are the ones who want change but are resistant against a well organised movement that hopes to encourage this because they want it done another way.

If people want to go to the game and watch the full 90 minutes and cheer the team on, win or lose, for the full game then more power to them, they're a better person than me. 

18 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I think this is a good point. I will be at every game home and away for the rest of the season but I'm clearly apathetic because I won't be walking out on 74 minutes. I simply don't think this is the best course of action at the current time and don't see what this is going to achieve. The board know we're angry/disappointed/upset at the way the cub is being run without a 16 minute walk out and loud anti Lerner chants etc. would have the same effect.

My real worry is the effect that this protest is going to have on fan unity. I have seen fans moaned at for leaving early even at 4-0 down against Liverpool and can see angry fans both in favour and not in favour of this protest having plenty to say on Tuesday. The attitude of many on here who are accusing people who will stay until the end of not caring makes me wonder what kind of atmosphere there will be in the ground as the fan base is divided on this.

Not trying to criticise those who do walk out just fearful of trouble amongst ourselves (which hasn't been far from the surface all season) and slightly pissed off at the 'apathy' comments from many.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tom_avfc said:

I think this is a good point. I will be at every game home and away for the rest of the season but I'm clearly apathetic because I won't be walking out on 74 minutes.

Nobody has said that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Without going back through 30 pages of jibber jabber, this has been intimated a number of times.

Then I'd distance myself from those comments.

The only stuff I've seen from the guys organising this is very clear that people are free to do whatever they want.

General reminder, but this thread is to discuss this single protest. Discussions about other protests or comparing this protest to others does not go in this thread. Warning points will be issued if you don't follow this.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Then I'd distance myself from those comments.

The only stuff I've seen from the guys organising this is very clear that people are free to do whatever they want.

This is fair enough - the people organising have been reasonable and as I said I'm not trying to criticise the walkout as a whole. I just think we need to be careful in the way this is managed so as not to create an "us against them" mentality between those who participate and those who choose not to which could lead to trouble on 74 minutes on Tuesday.

Some comments aimed at people who have simply stated that they don't intend to walk out are completely unnecessary and people need to remember that we are all Villa fans however we choose to show our emotions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

So we should all pull together and respect each other's opinions, until they want to do something different to the walkout at which point they're being ridiculous?

Got it.

Sorry I should have said highly improbable idea of a boycott. Don't agree with boycott but 'ridiculous' was wrong word - it was late'

4 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Sorry I should have said highly improbable idea of a boycott. Don't agree with boycott but 'ridiculous' was wrong word - it was late'

No worries Mike, thanks for clarifying the point.

8 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

This is fair enough - the people organising have been reasonable and as I said I'm not trying to criticise the walkout as a whole. I just think we need to be careful in the way this is managed so as not to create an "us against them" mentality between those who participate and those who choose not to which could lead to trouble on 74 minutes on Tuesday.

Some comments aimed at people who have simply stated that they don't intend to walk out are completely unnecessary and people need to remember that we are all Villa fans however we choose to show our emotions. 

I can assure you that there is absolutely no intention on the side of the people behind the planned protest to create an us against them mentality between fans and I also don't think that this has even been close to suggested in any post that I've read.

I promise you this is not in any way, shape or form the aim. We want unity and respect everyone's right to voice their opinions how they see fit.

@Chewie of course, the dude is teetering on the edge of full scale revolution. :P

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Butterfingers said:

Dave "holier than thou" Woodhall staying till the end "because I support Aston Villa." Funny how its never stopped him missing no end of kick offs in the past because he's more concerned with selling his fanzine.

Get your head out of your backside Dave-This is bigger than internet forum rivalries.

He's spent the last 6 years defending Lerner so he isn't gonna change now. So much for Villa's only "independent" fanzine. 

As I've said all along, I'm not against this protest, I just wish the message was clearer.

For example, if the message said something like the below, then I just feel that more people would agree with it and subsequently join in:

'The walkout is firstly a show of hands, secondly to show the owner the type of remaining crowds that will be seen if the club continues to be run this way, and thirdly and lastly, a demand that the club shows more ambition, with a long-term vision. No longer should we be letting promising youth prospects leave for cheap, when a long-term vision would be more beneficial (ie: Gary Cahill (sold for £5m) & Marc Albrighton (released for free)). No longer should we bring in players on the cheap, when a 'speculate to accumulate' method is beneficial to the long-term over the short-term (Ie: We turned down the chance to buy Aaron Cresswell for £6m under Lambert, and subsequently spent roughly £15m on left backs until we found a suitable player (Bennett, Luna, Bertrand, Cissokho then Amavi).'

(I've literally typed that, off the top of my head - and obviously it includes guesswork around Cresswell, but my point stands, that I feel the message all along could have been clearer. Unfortunately, the answer given to me has just been 'the message now is a show of hands... What happens next, we don't know').

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â