Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

People suggesting that not going is better need to realise that everyone already agrees with that.

What I do not agree with as being a better option is staying after the game and protesting. Nobody in the media will take notice of that and it'll be easy for the club to just sweep it under the rug quietly.

Walking out at a time symbolic to the club is the best option we have available to us.

• Like 2

Just now, pacbuddies said:

Yea there are quite a few knob heads on there by the look of it.

I said a few...after a quick scan of the posts it looks nearer 90% not in favour. Only a lot of them can't differentiate "lose" and "loose".

1. @richardajkeys #AVFC protest definitely gathering pace & very professionally organised. Website in place, now this https://youtu.be/wk6RSkHwBKc 

View media
    0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity

More

@bobchuwah Good luck to you all. It's a travesty what's been happening at your place

1 minute ago, StanBalaban said:
  1. @richardajkeys #AVFC protest definitely gathering pace & very professionally organised. Website in place, now this https://youtu.be/wk6RSkHwBKc 

View media
    0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

View Tweet activity

More

@bobchuwah Good luck to you all. It's a travesty what's been happening at your place

Blimey, does he think we have a female owner?

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

People suggesting that not going is better need to realise that everyone already agrees with that.

people need to realise there are thousands of people already doing that and its hardly been mentioned, our average attendance has dipped by around 6-8k in the last 5 years, the club has no doubt ran the data to see how that splits between ST holders etc but they'll never release data to the press that says 2k people who have had season tickets for say 5 years + have walked away

• Like 2

I think the 'better fans' are good examples of how strange (and appealing) a business football must be. As an owner it must be great to know that no matter what you do there will always be a steady match-day revenue due to the connection between the fans and the players. What I fail to understand is why the playing and to some degree coaching staff are seen as distinct from the board and ownership, when they are in fact all one organisation. In my slightly hungover state I've come to the (unoriginal!) conclusion that the fan sees the player/board relationship as analogous to their own worker/management relationship, and so see themselves in the players or at least have a solidarity with them: this is maybe more true among older fans.

This is perhaps why we see the recurring 'stay and support the lads' messages, or 'fight like lions' refraining throughout threads on social media. Though not directly said, it seems that turning the back on the players becomes turning the back on the fans, and as breaking the fan/player union in which we are all in this together. Yet, because football (at least at the elite level) has become so wealthy, the player/board relationship is no longer the same as it was when a lot of fans started supporting the club. The players are at a considerable remove from the fans primarily because of the money involved and the power that comes with it: power both in and out of the 'workplace'. To search for a solidarity with them is looking in the wrong place: the solidarity is with the other fans.

The protest in turn, to my mind at least, has become symbolic of the broken relationship between fan, player, and board that has been caused, in part, by the sheer wealth involved.

Yep.

Note: this is not really a comment on the specific campaign and its goals and objectives, just a reflection on some of what I've read in recent days.

• Like 2

those fans are just pure goldmine for owners, be a total clocksocket and still be rewarded with "loyal" customers who unquestioningly pay the premium ticket week after week. It's a business like  any other, and this mythos of the "uniqueness of football" only really serves the media and the clubs themselves.

I know for many fans who go regularly regardless of results it can be more about the social element with friends etc, and that's all fair enough, but the particular fans who reject any idea of not going on the logic of "don't abandon yer team" etc is all bit mental to my eyes.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

A couple of comments that can/should be dismissed

1. Why more than one game? Surely one is enough as momentum might peter out after the Everton game.

2. Any plans to have people hand out flyers prior to the Everton game? Alot of fans on the night might not have heard of the protest and if they recieve a flyer explaining it and what's planned they might join in with the protest and leave on '74.

44 minutes ago, Chewie said:

Hey guys,

Can we get retweets the following, please...

Thanks guys and gals.

Excellent work, suprised Collymores buried his head in the sand after all his fierce critism of the board. If he doesnt acknowldge this protest will lose all respect for him

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

suprised Collymores buried his head in the sand after all his fierce critism of the board. If he doesnt acknowldge this protest will lose all respect for him

If he's kept your respect through all the woman beating, Fire extinguisher setting off, dogging and self publicising, then you're a kinder man than I am.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

If he's kept your respect through all the woman beating, Fire extinguisher setting off, dogging and self publicising, then you're a kinder man than I am.

There was one instance of him hitting a woman, and it was a long time ago as well. Everyone deserves a second chance. 

And honestly, letting off a fire extinguisher? Big deal. You really think that's something worth holding a grudge over?

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

#BeatThatWhoreOn74? :/

There was one instance of him hitting a woman, and it was a long time ago as well. Everyone deserves a second chance. 

And honestly, letting off a fire extinguisher? Big deal. You really think that's something worth holding a grudge over?

One instance of woman beating that hit the headlines. I haven't forgiven him for being a complete bellend when he was at VP. Stressed my arse!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â