Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

Seats On 7 is intended to signify the same thing, without the added complication of it appearing as though we are turning our backs on the team. As much as many would like to do that, most of those people have stopped going. That much is clear. 31,000 at Villa Park yesterday my arse! 

Fans stay inside the concourse, able to watch the game, to sing chant, to finish their beer! Either that or physically outside the ground, say on the Holte End steps in front of the media.

The hope is that those scenes would go viral. There's more scope for that than turning our backs unless EVERYONE did it and we have to be realistic. We've still only 1,500 followers on twitter, for example. The intention of these protests has always been to sharpen the focus on Randy Lerner, to get him to commit to answering the requests stated in our Open Letter. We've got three more games in which to achieve that. 

• Like 1

Why not do both and step it up.

Failing that, Do a poll with the most popular 3/4 suggestions and go with the clear winner.

Edited by Kingman

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yep, me and Mark. We're all the way through the video actually. It's a nice feature, except I kept talking over Mark! Sorry bud... :blush::blush::blush:

I didn't realise quite how much like Simon Pegg you look . . .

• Like 1

Just now, Kingman said:

Why not do both and step it up.

Failing that, Do a poll with the top 3/4 suggestions and go with the clear winner.

Trouble is mate we have a few days until the game. We need to get something out there tomorrow and it needs to be something simple and straight forward as at present we don't have the resources or time for something overly creative.

Can I be honest? We definitely won't be doing the turn your backs on 74 protest vs Bournemouth. We have had the debate and we don't feel we can promote it correctly in such a short time frame.

We are keeping these ideas in the bank though. We're looking to go big for Newcastle, if we can. Some of this stuff can be bought back in to play I'm sure.  

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

#Turnyourbackon74

Cards on the table from me mate I am just not comfortable turning my back literally on my team. It just doesn't sit right with me. Also our protest group is not really about the players on the pitch who we would be turning our back on. They are bit part players in our demise although I totally acknowledge they have been shameful this season. AVPG though is about asking questions of the owner putting the focus fully on him and that is where we feel we need to keep focused.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Cards on the table from me mate I am just not comfortable turning my back literally on my team. It just doesn't sit right with me. Also our protest group is not really about the players on the pitch who we would be turning our back on. They are bit part players in our demise although I totally acknowledge they have been shameful this season. AVPG though is about asking questions of the owner putting the focus fully on him and that is where we feel we need to keep focused.

Those players want stoning let alone turning backs on.

7 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Those players want stoning let alone turning backs on.

Fine mate but that is not what AVPG is focused on though. The players have been shameful but our focus is as it has been from the start of all this fully on Lerner. He is the man who is ultimately responsible for where we are and for our future fate. This squad of players is crap and he is ultimately responsible for that. We as a group and as a fanbase can't take our eye off that ball as we almost offer up another group of scapegoats in the players and start to let him off the hook.

All of the above is not to say fans can't show their disgust towards the players. We as a group though can't compromise our focus and message which is all about pointing the finger firmly at Lerner and getting him to action certain requests to ensure this club faces a much healthier future.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Fine mate but that is not what AVPG is focused on though. The players have been shameful but our focus is as it has been from the start of all this fully on Lerner. He is the man who is ultimately responsible for where we are and for our future fate. This squad of players is crap and he is ultimately responsible for that. We as a group and as a fanbase can't take our eye off that ball as we almost offer up another group of scapegoat in the players and start to let him off the hook.

All of the above is not to say fans can't show their disgust towards the players. We as a group though can't compromise our focus and message which is all about pointing the finger firmly at Lerner and getting him to action certain requests to ensure this club faces a much healthier future.

Dude, I wasn't expecting folk to turn up with a pack of bricks. 

The turning backs on 74 was to signify Lerner turning his back on the club and not aimed at the players. 

Not to worry anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Dude, I wasn't expecting folk to turn up with a pack of bricks. 

The turning backs on 74 was to signify Lerner turning his back on the club and not aimed at the players. 

Not to worry anyway.

Our taking your seats 7 minutes after kick off is all about Lerner mate. He never takes his seat for kick off and beyond that in fact. It can have a double message that we can acknowledge our proud top flight history, which may temporarily end on Saturday, by staying away until 7 minutes which signifies our 7 top flight league titles.

This is tough mate as obviously we can't please everyone. We needed an idea this week that was simple and resources light due to the limited time we have before the game. We also have to ensure it is an idea that keeps us fully focused on Lerner. We have thrashed a number of ideas about today and decided to go with this one.

We can't be all things to all supporters unfortunately. I think if fans want to protest against the players other than giving it  'you're not fit to wear the shirt' etc or holding up banners then that needs to be organised under another group as we can't do it as by doing so it waters down and compromises our message. The reason we formed was to make requests to be actioned by the owner. We haven't achieved that yet so can't allow ourselves to be sidetracked and morph into something else.

3 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think it is actually called a lap of appreciation where they show their appreciation to the fans for our support. Really they should still do it but I just can't see it as they will get dogs abuse. They should front up though but any challenging situation they have faced this season they have bottled and I can't see that changing immediately following the last home game.

I dont see them doing it but any player that shows their face will get a bit of sympathy for me for showing some balls

3 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

We're intrigued to hear what you guys think about the 7 minute stay away and how that might work in the wild. Help us flesh it out a bit more. Or if you have major doubts about it, explain. You can be fairly confident we can make it work!

I think it's a great idea, and IF you could get that to work it would be powerful.

But I honestly can't see you being able to organise that. Fair play if you can, but I think that's a huge ask.

• Like 1

I get the sentiment, really do. But in truth, does anybody think these protests are achieving anything apart from making things worse? Just don't go! You will reduce the negativity in the ground and also not pay Lerner money. Maybe players will perform better with a bit of respite from verbal abuse.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

everyone come dressed as clowns for newcastle game in appreciation of the current players at the club

#dressasclowns74

That is actually a fantastic idea. 

Red noses at the very least. 

4 hours ago, Kingman said:

Turning your back on the 74th minute signifying Lerner turning his back on the club.

Dropping your pants and taking a shit on the 74th minute signifying Lerner shitting on the club.

Then we could kidnap the General and force him into mop up duty. 

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I get the sentiment, really do. But in truth, does anybody think these protests are achieving anything apart from making things worse? Just don't go! You will reduce the negativity in the ground and also not pay Lerner money. Maybe players will perform better with a bit of respite from verbal abuse.

I think for some, it's cathartic. We've been spinning around the drain for years, and now we know we are truly down. If I had already bought a ticket, I'd go down and give them an earful too. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â