Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

I was actually thinking of a similar analogy [emoji3]

Mine goes something like this.

The union rallies the workers at the factory to strike for fair wages and better working conditions, but cancels the whole thing in the last minute because the board decides to put in fresh urinal cakes in the toilets

Lmao

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Tom Fox seducing dont_do_it_doug by parading around in frilly knickers whispering sweet nothings about boardroom restructuring

Just on the off chance this happened, I think I'm fair in saying pics or GTFO. ;)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Randy Lerner owns Aston Villa.  Randy Lerner doesn't want to own Aston Villa. 

If you think it's not essential for him to go then I think you're kidding yourself. 

I've said why I think there is a scenario where he could stay.  Why is that kidding myself ?

IMO if you think that it is  essential for him to go,(i.e. it is impossible to turn this around until he goes) you are misguided. What about the scenario I have outlined ?  Forget for a moment how likely you think it is, as none of us know that, but IF that is what we are doing doesn't that remove the 'essential-ness' ?

More to the point, as you think it is essential that he goes, (i.e. we cannot turn around unless he does) what do you think should happen until he does ?  Presumably all give up all hope, if its essential.

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

I've said why I think there is a scenario where he could stay.  Why is that kidding myself ?

IMO if you think that it is  essential for him to go,(i.e. it is impossible to turn this around until he goes) you are misguided. What about the scenario I have outlined ?  Forget for a moment how likely you think it is, as none of us know that, but IF that is what we are doing doesn't that remove the 'essential-ness' ?

More to the point, as you think it is essential that he goes, (i.e. we cannot turn around unless he does) what do you think should happen until he does ?  Presumably all give up all hope, if its essential.

Your scenario is a disney film fantasy. For the last 5 years people have defended the owner, that he had a plan, that we'd spend again and yet here we are relegated as one of the worst premier league teams in history. 

Lerner doesn't want anything to do with us, if you believe a club can succeed with an owner like that then you're in dream world. There's nothing we can do but protest against him and hope he lowers his price at some point. Trying to kid yourself that board members will turn us into a success might make you feel better but its just blind hope. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

Can't believe people are buying into a very weak olive branch from the club!

I can't believe some people assume multi millionaires care about offering us olive branches.

You really think Bernstein was offered, and accepted, a job with us because it might make some fans feel better ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Your scenario is a disney film fantasy. For the last 5 years people have defended the owner, that he had a plan, that we'd spend again and yet here we are relegated as one of the worst premier league teams in history. 

Lerner doesn't want anything to do with us, if you believe a club can succeed with an owner like that then you're in dream world. There's nothing we can do but protest against him and hope he lowers his price at some point. Trying to kid yourself that board members will turn us into a success might make you feel better but its just blind hope. 

It really isn't any such thing.

It is very, very common in failing businesses the world over and whilst it may or may not happen in this case, or work, it remains a common way to turn around failing organisations.

Why use derogatory phrasesclike " trying to kid yourself" just because a person has a view you don't agree with. It is a poor way to debate and doesn' tvmake you any more right.

• Like 1

In doing this, the organisers have become the perceived opinion leaders and mouthpieces for the club. And perhaps unintentionally became the external facing representatives of the fans, when all they really wanted to do was do something positive and the media was a means to an end.

In taking on something like this, you take it on as a someone who represents the fans, but not someone who directs them.

As such, the fans own this, not the organisers and it's arguably not their decision to make.

I think the folk that are annoyed are annoyed because they think their views have been misrepresented.

Personally I'm ambivalent now but I was glad someone was doing something. I'm not sure stopping now will have the required effect.

To start with, a big thank you to the team who are behind the campaign, I can't imagine the effort and determination involved. My hat status in respect to you chaps-doffed. 

For the record, I'm speaking as someone who supports the protest, but isn't actually taking part for various, mundane reasons.

I understand the reasons to postpone the walkout and can sympathise with the idea of acknowledging that there has been some change at senior level (hopefully for the better, time will tell). I do share similar worries with others that the postponement and subsequent delay in the next planned walkout will undo a lot of the momentum and great work achieved by the organisers and those who took part during the Everton game. 

I think that by and large the protest has been measured and organised in it's approach and has achieved more than we initially thought it would. I think it's fair to say a lot of people are mainly concerned that the most productive supporter action in living memory may have taken a bit of a hit. 

As mentioned before, the team running this are not professionals at this, there's going to be disagreements or potential missteps along the way. Hopefully this is a bump in the road which can be overcome.

I don't know what personal abuse has been levelled at the organisers, but whatever it is, that's simply uncalled for. Agree with the protest or don't, either way, we're all ultimately on the same side.

I'm hopeful this movement can continue in a similar fashion and we don't reach the point where the only course of action left is for sexbelowsound to do "an Emily Davison" and throw himself in the way at a not-quite-stampeding Gabby to get the point across to the club.

I think that should be plan b and we can do another thread should it be required.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

13-03-2016%2000-31-22_zpskner7fgi.jpg

You've no right to declare that.

Where were you when we were handing out flyers, putting 24 hours a day into building something that might actually make a **** difference?

Nowhere mate. Nowhere. That's where. 

10 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

To start with, a big thank you to the team who are behind the campaign, I can't imagine the effort and determination involved. My hat status in respect to you chaps-doffed. 

For the record, I'm speaking as someone who supports the protest, but isn't actually taking part for various, mundane reasons.

I understand the reasons to postpone the walkout and can sympathise with the idea of acknowledging that there has been some change at senior level (hopefully for the better, time will tell). I do share similar worries with others that the postponement and subsequent delay in the next planned walkout will undo a lot of the momentum and great work achieved by the organisers and those who took part during the Everton game. 

I think that by and large the protest has been measured and organised in it's approach and has achieved more than we initially thought it would. I think it's fair to say a lot of people are mainly concerned that the most productive supporter action in living memory may have taken a bit of a hit. 

As mentioned before, the team running this are not professionals at this, there's going to be disagreements or potential missteps along the way. Hopefully this is a bump in the road which can be overcome.

I don't know what personal abuse has been levelled at the organisers, but whatever it is, that's simply uncalled for. Agree with the protest or don't, either way, we're all ultimately on the same side.

I'm hopeful this movement can continue in a similar fashion and we don't reach the point where the only course of action left is for sexbelowsound to do "an Emily Davison" and throw himself in the way at a not-quite-stampeding Gabby to get the point across to the club.

I think that should be plan b and we can do another thread should it be required.

Cheers bud. I would like to add, give it time before throwing it under a bus. Though the thought of @sexbelowsound doing such a thing is appealing ;)

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â