Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

I think it's a terrible decision to "pause" the walkout.

Sorry chaps. You've dropped a clanger here.

Actually liked this and your other post as they are both bang on.

Its a massive mistake to stop the protest just because they've appointed 2 board members.

Disappointed

All credit to the guys who organised the protest, and I hate to be critical, but I cannot see what has changed. The two appointments are a step in the right direction, especially the Bernstein appointment, but it is a very small step considering the problems the club faces.

It would possibly be best just to abandon the protest now entirely, rather than postpone it, as it has probably lost all credibility.

If things do not improve, I am sure that there will be other protests.

• Like 4

All credit to the guys who organised the protest, and I hate to be critical, but I cannot see what has changed. The two appointments are a step in the right direction, especially the Bernstein appointment, but it is a very small step considering the problems the club faces.

It would possibly be best just to abandon the protest now entirely, rather than postpone it, as it has probably lost all credibility.

If things do not improve, I am sure that there will be other protests.

Thats the thing, pauseing the protest just makes the whole thing lose credibility which is damageing

• Like 1

If people feel strongly then just walk out on 74, I'm sure the organizers won't mind!  In fact this should be the general message IMO to side step this postponement issue. As has been said, it will be very difficult to try and turn this off and on again and I don't think the organizers can go back on what they've said in the media.  But a way out of this bind is to just hand the decision over to the masses. Every villa fan now knows about OTD74, thanks to the tremendous efforts of the organizers.  Just post a message inviting fans to make their own decision about whether to walk out on 74.  Then none can be criticized or blamed, it is a democratic choice where every fan gets to vote with their feet.   

• Like 2

Out the Door on 74 v Spurs postponed but Out the Door on 74 vs Chelsea will go ahead as planned.

It is pleasing to note that the club is taking positive steps by appointing individuals of the calibre of Brian Little as an adviser to the board and David Bernstein on to the board of directors. In light of this development we feel it is fit and proper to temporarily postpone the ‘Out the Door on 74’ protest for Tottenham on Sunday. This is in no small part due to the immense respect we have for Brian Little, a man who is truly woven into the very fabric of the club. He is rightly considered a club legend and we believe it is the correct decision that his first game back at the club is to be untainted by organised supporter protest.

We do not take this decision lightly and we know this will come as a disappointment to many. They have taken steps towards granting request number 3 contained within our letter to Randy Lerner, whether by design or accident. We believe it is only correct that we show those in charge of the club, including Brian, the same level of respect we feel as supporters we deserve.

However please be advised that we are merely pausing and that ‘Out the Door on 74’ vs Chelsea (April 2nd) is still to go ahead, as will other forms of mass protest through till the end of the season.

We are still angry, we are still disaffected and we remain extremely sceptical. As supporters all we want is what is best for this great club we all love with an unrivalled passion.

It is too early to know whether this is the beginning of a determined attempt by the club to fundamentally change direction or merely spin to appease the fans. In the interests of fairness to supporters the club needs to act with extreme haste in stating clearly and precisely what roles they will be undertaking within the boardroom.

We eagerly await word from within the club to confirm precisely what roles Brian Little and David Bernstein will fulfil. In addition we are calling on the club to now engage with supporters, publicly address the requests stated in our open letter and inform us as to what the next step will be towards providing us with a brighter future.

Up The Villa.

Aston Villa Protest Group.

9 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

If people feel strongly then just walk out on 74, I'm sure the organizers won't mind!  In fact this should be the general message IMO to side step this postponement issue. As has been said, it will be very difficult to try and turn this off and on again and I don't think the organizers can go back on what they've said in the media.  But a way out of this bind is to just hand the decision over to the masses. Every villa fan now knows about OTD74, thanks to the tremendous efforts of the organizers.  Just post a message inviting fans to make their own decision about whether to walk out on 74.  Then none can be criticized or blamed, it is a democratic choice where every fan gets to vote with their feet.   

But then, how half arsed will that look?

We either all go it under one banner, or none of us do it.

A great number walked out against Everton, due to the sheer hard work of the organisers, now you cancel this one and 500 walk out (for example)

How do you expect to get 3000+ to walk out again?

I'm scared it'll fizzle out now to be honest.

• Like 1

Please don't see this as criticism OTDO74 guys because I do believe that the previous and planned walk outs were the right thing to do.  You have spoken that the club saw the OTDO74 as a bit of a joke, momentum in the media as key and gathering momentum with the supporters.  However, the decision to postpone surely kills any momentum now!  Problem is as well if the decision to postpone is now reversed then it will make the OTDO74 look indecisive.  I don't even have a major problem with postponing if you'd have stated that it applies to the Chelsea game as well. I agree that the little steps made by the club this week is a step in the right direction but why then push a walk out for the Chelsea game?  Surely, it would be better to postpone all further walk outs, have some dialogue with the club and attempt to obtain certain assurances before the start of next season?  Should then these guarantees be broken, then ramp it up during the first 2/3 home games next season?  I just cannot see how this can carry on for the remainder of the season now?  If not already done so, please have a good think about the Chelsea game as well and perhaps have some communication with the club?

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

But then, how half arsed will that look?

We either all go it under one banner, or none of us do it.

A great number walked out against Everton, due to the sheer hard work of the organisers, now you cancel this one and 500 walk out (for example)

How do you expect to get 3000+ to walk out again?

I'm scared it'll fizzle out now to be honest.

I know. I can tell by how you are beating me up on Twitter!

We made a decision and we live or die by it. All we can do now is put the same MAXIMUM effort into OTDO74 vs Chelsea and our evolution into Aston Villa Protest Group as we have done getting OTDO74 vs Everton off the ground. I don't eat right, I sleep 4 hours a night. It is the same for others. That will continue until the bitter end. Even if you run us out of town. 

No one is trying to run you out of town.

I respect what you've done so far Dave, and all of you, I've said as much on multiple occasions.

I just think this could have been handled much better, For the sake of the movement.

The twitter has descended into farce.

Guys, surely it would have been a good idea to see what sort of a reaction you got from fans before calling off the protest?

It's a shame to see all your hard work come to nothing, which is exactly what will now happen. Nobody is going to commit to the next walkout now. I certainly wouldn't.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

No one is trying to run you out of town.

I respect what you've done so far Dave, and all of you, I've said as much on multiple occasions.

I just think this could have been handled much better, For the sake of the movement.

Probably yeah, I'll be straight up about that. But it's done now. Can you imagine the long term ramifications if we flip flop AGAIN? That won't wash. 

The poll was a bad decision granted. None of us claim to be perfect mate. Shit happens. We're Villa Talkers for christ sake! ;) 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Guys, surely it would have been a good idea to see what sort of a reaction you got from fans before calling off the protest?

This is it really. And what I've said over and over again on Twitter.

Because the overwhelming reaction is 'bad idea' and people have said as much in multiple media.

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

This is it really. And what I've said over and over again on Twitter.

Because the overwhelming reaction is 'bad idea' and people have said as much in multiple media.

The decision had already been made and then we decided that we had to stand by our own convictions. 

This won't kill us. That's my honest opinion. If it does then it won't be for the want of dedication. 

It appears to just be tweet after tweet defending your decision from the unanimous negative reaction you've got from it. I think you'd be better off ignoring the tweets as replying just highlights the amount of stick you're getting for the decision.

I really can't emphasise enough how much I think you've **** up here. It's a real shame.

Edited by Stevo985

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It appears to just be tweet after tweet defending your decision from the unanimous negative reaction you've got from it.

I really can't emphasise enough how much I think you've **** up here. It's a real shame.

Taking it on the chin. Sticking head above the parapet. Whatever you want to call it. 

Saying we've **** up though, that's a reaction to right now. An instant reaction. The response is undoubtedly going to be to put our balls back in the blender. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â