Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

On 04/03/2016 at 09:51, MikeMcKenna said:

Your vociferous and continued opposition is strange and now amusing given your comment in v Everton pre match thread

"I will be watching on TV but I promise to walk into the kitchen on 74 !"

Thanks for your support assuming you actually made the arduous walk into the Kitchen. 

I will remind myself not to take your future posts seriously. 

You mean you took that seriously ? Really ?!!!!!

On 04/03/2016 at 11:29, markavfc40 said:

Your suggestion is to do nothing then? Just do what we have done for the last 6 years of decline and pretty much sit on our hands aside from aiding the owner/board in making another manager a scapegoat.

I feel like I am repeating myself here but even if there is only a 1% chance that by participating in these walkouts it will make a positive difference then for me it is worth doing. I posted this the other day but will again.

Genuine question ..... what are the specific "positive differences" you are hoping for or expecting ? If I could understand what they were then I might join in !!!

Edited by Paul33

Currently 4-0 against City.  This team is a total disgrace and this season is done. The players have clearly given up and most will be off very soon.  FFS, we have to stand up and fight now. If you have not already, please please join in with OTD74 against Totenham and Chelsea.  If we put aside our differences and join together we can put some serious bloody pressure on the idiots who are systematically destroying our club. There really is no logical reason not to do this now.  Lets force change.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

Fifteen goals conceded in four games any idiot can see this is unacceptable and the imposters don't give a flying ****. Let's make it as difficult as we can for them all to leave in summer I don't want any of these embarrassment of footballers near my club next season

outthedoor74

22 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Genuine question ..... what are the specific "positive differences" you are hoping for or expecting ? If I could understand what they were then I might join in !!!

OK Paul. Specifically the aim of the walkouts is to pressure the club to provide us with the so called ‘bright future’ that Randy Lerner promised. Ultimately that is almost certainly only going to come via him selling the club. We are therefore calling on him to be a more motivated seller and to reduce the price.

Failing that or in the meantime there needs to be a commitment to invest in the squad over the summer as this squad is certainly not good enough to get us promotion. In addition it will require people to be brought on to the board who have the knowledge and experience gained from working with in football and who will know what is required to provide the manager with the tools to put things right on the pitch. As we have seen over the last six years until we get those things in place above the manager then we will never employ a manager who is capable of getting relative success on the pitch or who will have the means to do so.

I have now been specific. So are you with us then?

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Isn't the first time he has tried to take the limelight either. Journalists (Colley mainly) are at the conference to interview the manager, they are a link for the fans and the manager nobody should get hassled and threatened by the media officer for doing their job. He reminds me of the referee that wants to take centre stage of a big game. No need.

My sense is that there has been a siege mentality at AVFC for years when questioned by the media. In recent times it has also felt like the fans are the enemy! It really is ironic thinking back to how Krulak tried to suck up to us. When he had a strop that was the turning point.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

How does he reconcile his declaration that he was a custodian who would move on, with the fact that despite declaring he was effectively done with the Club his asking Price - presumably -has prevented this ? Does he not agree that to be true to his word, and for the benefit of all, he should consider sale or part sale at a value that brings in real and genuine interest ?

Has he been willing, and would he be willing, to consider other 'part owners'.

Will he publish his investment/recovery strategy for the short and medium term so that supporters can make an informed choice before renewing Season Tickets or buying Matchday tickets ?

What steps have been/will be taken to put genuine football expertise, preferably though not essentially with Villa connections, in positions of Authority.

Good questions/points mate

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

I struggle to understand why anyone still goes to VP let alone stays until the end and derides anyone that leaves on 74. There is nothing to be gained by being a sheep.

i didnt even boher to look for a stream today, its just not worth it anymore

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

OK Paul. Specifically the aim of the walkouts is to pressure the club to provide us with the so called ‘bright future’ that Randy Lerner promised. Ultimately that is almost certainly only come via him selling the club. We are therefore calling on him to be a more motivated seller and to reduce the price.

Failing that or in the meantime there needs to be a commitment to invest in the squad over the summer as this squad is certainly not good enough to get us promotion. In addition it will require people to be brought on to the board who have the knowledge and experience gained from working with in football and who will know what is required to provide the manager with the tools to put things right on the pitch. As we have seen over the last six years until we get those things in place above the manager then we will never employ a manager who is capable of getting relative success on the pitch or who will have the means to do so.

I have now been specific. So are you with us then?

You are making assumptions there that these things are not happening. Not all matters in back room business are broadcast to the general public. My understanding from (limited) inside contacts is that a pretty severe "root & branch" analysis and purge is taking place and has been taking place for weeks ..... (big) heads are going to roll but the positive side of that will not become visible until this season is over. They are (rightly) not looking to make major changes while this season still has to be played out.

So broadly speaking I share the frustrations but no, I still see no link between these protests and achieving those goals. They are just being seen as "angry fan protests" rather than protests for a targeted purpose. I'm happy we WILL get there but I don't believe these protests will have had any part to play in achieving them and if you really believe they are then I think you are a little delusional. 

4 hours ago, Paul33 said:

......a pretty severe "root & branch" analysis and purge is taking place and has been taking place for weeks ..... (big) heads are going to roll but the positive side of that will not become visible until this season is over. They are (rightly) not looking to make major changes while this season still has to be played out.

So broadly speaking I share the frustrations but no, I still see no link between these protests and achieving those goals. They are just being seen as "angry fan protests" rather than protests for a targeted purpose. I'm happy we WILL get there but I don't believe these protests will have had any part to play in achieving them and if you really believe they are then I think you are a little delusional. 

The first paragraph - yes, agreed

The second - (disclaimer, I don't go any more) how the protests are seen by the club may be "as angry fan protests" and to an extent they are, and fans have every right and reason to be angry. But the club would do well to heed what for example terrytini has asked above. They'd do well to fundamentally alter their behaviours both towards supporters and in terms of the point about preparing properly to get back up again. We've seen over the past few years very little focus on being any good at having a competitive football team. That has to change. The protesters to me are bang on the money when they basically demand that the club starts behaving like a football club, the purpose of which should be to win football matches, to entertain supporters, to make people proud. Villa hasn't been doing that, other than fleetingly, for what? 5 and a half years. They are right to demand that Randy Lerner either GTFO or fully and wholeheartedly does everything he can, as is his duty as owner (custodian), to give the club the best possible chance to be competitive on the field.

I'm certain he didn't want this mess to happen, but I'm also certain that as the man who owns the club, he is responsible. Yes, Fox and Riley and Co.will be hoofed out for arseing things up, but fans want good grounds to believe that the cycle of poor appointments won't just continue. So behaviour by Randy needs to change. Whatever method he's been using to appoint people needs to be improved and made smarter. Consulting with people of integrity like Graham Taylor would be a good place to start.

Communicating with supporters, repairing trust, acknowledging errors has to happen. But most of all just let this club be a FOOTBALL club again, not a discarded toy, not a red entry on a balance sheet, not a home for the terminally ineffective and uncaring.

As I say I stopped going to games, so have no real place to critique the protests of people who do. But I think they're doing something out of their love for the club and despair at what it's been allowed to become. The aims may be hard to pin down into one easy phrase, but good luck to them.

I seriously doubt there are many/any fans who don't want what they want. I also think that there are a fair number who don't necessarily agree with the method, but that's fine. I think people might be advised to take the common thing - we all want the same outcome - and concentrate energy on that and those who don't want to walk out the door can stay, but still make their feelings known, or sing for the team, or abuse the ref, or whatever they wish.

So even people like you, Paul, who clearly are not in agreement with the OTDO74 "thing", if you want the same end outcome, then go about it, about supporting the club the way you wish, but maybe where there is a common ground, say so, as well as (as is your right) voicing opinion on the methods used.

Anyone who thinks the aims are good, but protests are being done wrong - hey, get your own idea going. There's plenty of room and there are many ways to pass a message. It doesn't have to be OTDO74 or nothing.

• Like 4

You are making assumptions there that these things are not happening. Not all matters in back room business are broadcast to the general public. My understanding from (limited) inside contacts is that a pretty severe "root & branch" analysis and purge is taking place and has been taking place for weeks ..... (big) heads are going to roll but the positive side of that will not become visible until this season is over. They are (rightly) not looking to make major changes while this season still has to be played out.

Them 'inside contacts' tho [emoji23]

Got to love forums and pretend ITK's

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â