Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

Does anyone know

1. how many players we have signed from Lambert onwards 

2. how many of these had Premier League experience

3. How many of these players have played this season

4. Any other interesting facts about ins/outs

7 minutes ago, TB said:

2012... "Lambert is given the same remit as McLeish but pressed even further to drastically cut costs."

Ok, English isn't my first language. But to me, that states that Lambert pressed on even further to cut costs - on his own volition. I'd prefer "Lambert is given the same remit as McLeish, but is asked to cut costs even more drastically."

I agree. It doesn't read very well. I'll make that amendment. 

A lot of other villa pages on fb are talking about it, everyone I see I post the link to the website to spread the word more..

only one I haven't seen mention it yet is MOMS.. Anyone had any feedback off them as they normally have a big say and impact.

Edited by mikeyp102

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Cheers mate. I think I mopped those up on the latest version but who knows.....

Can you see anything else on the most recent one I've posted a few posts above?

Gah! Typical me, commenting on an old post!

New one looks good mate.  Really nice work.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chewie said:

@HanoiVillan
 Would you mind answering this type of question for the FAQ?

What if we are 1-0 up in the 74th minute and the team needs our support to see the result over the line?

what have the team done with the fans support for the previous 25 games already

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

A lot of other villa pages on fb are talking about it, everyone I see I post the link to the website to spread the word more..

only one I haven't seen mention it yet is MOMS.. Anyone had any feedback off them as they normally have a big say and impact.

Have discussed with MOMS but I believe he may want  to do something different. However he did post a statement I made. I was hoping he would support us, but don't know yet.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

2 hours ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Does anyone know

Hi Mike,

Great job so far from you and everyone working on this. Keep up the good work!!

Researching our signings online, I've got this below, (hidden due to the length).

Apologies in advance for any inaccuracy, hopefully some of the more knowledgable on here will be able to correct any errors (there may be the odd youth player we signed that I've missed).

Hopefully at the least, it's a decent base from which you can gain some useful information from once it's been corrected and verified.

If it's no use, then hey, at least it killed an hour! ;)

Spoiler

I've put a * to denote if I think the player had previous premier league experience prior to signing for us.

I've put a ! to denote if I think the player has played for us this season.

By my count it is 34 signings, 21 of which played this season (no surprises that 11 of those are from last summer's window).

Of these 34 signings, I think that 9 had previous premier league experience (e.g. they played in the premier league at all).

At first glance, what stands out was that our transfers with Premier League experience were mainly free transfers (Cole, Senderos, Richardson, Richards and Bunn).

As far as I can tell, since 2012/13 we've spent around £12.5m on transfers for players who have played in the Premier League (Cissokho, Sinclair, Gestede and Lescott). 

And that's if you include Rudy Gestede's 3 games he played for Cardiff during their 2013/14 campaign. If not, then you are looking at around £6.5m spent on Premier League experienced transfers. Or to put it another way, across 4 seasons, £1.625 a season or £0.8125m for every transfer window.

12/13

El Ahmadi, Holman, Lowton, Vlaar, Bennett (!), Benteke, Bowery, Westwood (!), Sylla

13/14
Tonev, Bacuna (!), Okore (!), Helenius, Luna, Steer, Kozak (!)

14/15 
Cole (*!), Senderos (*), Richardson (*!), Cissokho (*!), Sanchez (!), Gil (!)

15/16
Sinclair (*!), Richards (*!), Bunn (*!), Gana (!), Amavi (!), Ayew (!), Crespo (!), Gestede (*!), Veretout (!), Traore (!), Sarkic, Lescott (*!)

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Hi Mike,

Great job so far from you and everyone working on this. Keep up the good work!!

Researching our signings online, I've got this below, (hidden due to the length).

Apologies in advance for any inaccuracy, hopefully some of the more knowledgable on here will be able to correct any errors (there may be the odd youth player we signed that I've missed).

Hopefully at the least, it's a decent base from which you can gain some useful information from once it's been corrected and verified.

If it's no use, then hey, at least it killed an hour! ;)

Hide contents

I've put a * to denote if I think the player had previous premier league experience prior to signing for us.

I've put a ! to denote if I think the player has played for us this season.

By my count it is 34 signings, 21 of which played this season (no surprises that 11 of those are from last summer's window).

Of these 34 signings, I think that 9 had previous premier league experience (e.g. they played in the premier league at all).

At first glance, what stands out was that our transfers with Premier League experience were mainly free transfers (Cole, Senderos, Richardson, Richards and Bunn).

As far as I can tell, since 2012/13 we've spent around £12.5m on transfers for players who have played in the Premier League (Cissokho, Sinclair, Gestede and Lescott). 

And that's if you include Rudy Gestede's 3 games he played for Cardiff during their 2013/14 campaign. If not, then you are looking at around £6.5m spent on Premier League experienced transfers. Or to put it another way, across 4 seasons, £1.625 a season or £0.8125m for every transfer window.

12/13

El Ahmadi, Holman, Lowton, Vlaar, Bennett (!), Benteke, Bowery, Westwood (!), Sylla

13/14
Tonev, Bacuna (!), Okore (!), Helenius, Luna, Steer, Kozak (!)

14/15 
Cole (*!), Senderos (*), Richardson (*!), Cissokho (*!), Sanchez (!), Gil (!)

15/16
Sinclair (*!), Richards (*!), Bunn (*!), Gana (!), Amavi (!), Ayew (!), Crespo (!), Gestede (*!), Veretout (!), Traore (!), Sarkic, Lescott (*!)

Thanks at lot mate. That we have used 21 of this lot this season illustrates our problem. I am trying to put together another angle on our decline but haven't quite worked it yet. Based on the above I am not certain I can make argument. Based on your data from when Lambert started he didn't sign any Premier League experienced players in 12/13 or 13/14. Is that correct - not one? Of these 16 players, only 5 are still at the club one of which Bennett is on loan. Need to think - thanks again mate

15 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Thanks at lot mate. That we have used 21 of this lot this season illustrates our problem. I am trying to put together another angle on our decline but haven't quite worked it yet. Based on the above I am not certain I can make argument. Based on your data from when Lambert started he didn't sign any Premier League experienced players in 12/13 or 13/14. Is that correct - not one? Of these 16 players, only 5 are still at the club one of which Bennett is on loan. Need to think - thanks again mate

Not a problem mate, happy to help, even if it just leads to a dead end which you can then discount. Better to have the information and not use it than to not have it all I reckon!

As for Lambert's first two seasons, as far as I can tell, the only signings we made that had previous Premier League experience were Bertrand and Holt who were both on loan deals. Like I say, I could be wrong, but I'm really struggling to see/recall any Premier League experience who we bought outright! Really racking my brain!!

Whether or not there is an argument to be had about Premier League experience as part of all this is for you to decide. But seeing that it appears 3 game Gestede is our most expensive "Premier League" player since N'Zogbia, did raise my eyebrow!!

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

This is really well done, Gentleman. A video is pretty much the last part of the puzzle in terms of what we need for the site, but i can't quite tell if the text being read out is dictated from a computer or by a Welsh person?

Does anyone know

Mike, I don't think the Premier League experience issue is a good enough angle to attack. Lots of teams have bought non-Premier league players for varying amounts that have proven to be good signings.

The amount we've been willing to spend, however, is something you could look at. It goes hand-in-hand with the aggressive cost-cutting we've seen in recent years.

A great example is that in Lambert's first window it was widely rumoured that Aaron Cresswell was his first choice left back, however we were put off by their asking price (which IIRC was £6m), so we ended up going for our 2nd/3rd choice in Joe Bennett for a couple of million. As Bennett didn't work out in his first season, we then went for Luna the next summer (another £1m+). We then decided to loan Luna out and loan in Bertrand. Then the next summer we signed Aly Cissokho for ANOTHER couple of million. Then we brought in Richardson as a make-shift left back/winger. Then finally we bought Amavi as our final solution, although he cost around £9m.

All of this because we wouldn't pay a reasonable asking price for a young, English player with potential - who is now an established part of a West Ham defence in the top half of the table.

I would hazard a guess that we've spent roughly £15m in fees and loan fees on our left-back position since signing Joe Bennett (excluding signing-on fees). Which we could have reduced to £6m, had we just signed Cresswell in the first place.

It's all because our owner would prefer the cheaper, higher-risk solution, showing a clear lack of long-term vision and that he's still uncomfortable providing significant funds for managers to spend. However, he should be uncomfortable because he's the one that got us in this position in the first place by letting O'Neill spunk away his initial investment of transfer funds, without anyone in place above him to steer him away from the pointless signings of players like Marlon Harewood, Nicky Shorey, Habib Beye, Zat Knight etc.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â