Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

This isn’t about us simply reacting to suddenly being shit. We have been shit for six years and as a fan base done absolutely nothing aside from chanting for numerous managers to be sacked and made to be another scapegoat.

This organised mass walk out isn't some knee jerk reaction. It is the culmination of years and years of mismanagement. It isn't simply us the supporters having a tantrum and screaming spend more it is around why the club failed to have any kind of clear vision and why that still appears to be the case. On the managerial side we went from O’Neill to Houllier to McLeish. In terms of styles we went from chalk to cheese twice. We gave Lambert a 4 year contract and 4 months later sacked him. We gave an inexperienced Sherwood a 3 year deal then sacked him 10 games after allowing him to have a huge input into spending 50 odd million. In 2014 we replaced an inexperienced CEO with a guy who had never before held such a position. Just 2 months ago we bring in a chairman who has never been involved with a football club let alone run one. We found out just recently that the club increased non tv revenue by a single figure percentage since 2006. I have just touched on the tip of the iceberg here and could go way deeper without even touching money spent on players and poor on pitch results.

To see this as fans simply kicking up a stink due to a period of poor results is missing the point completely. This goes way deeper than that. To have a founder member of the Premier League and the advantage of all the money that has brought into the club sitting cut adrift at the foot of the table takes an unbelievable amount of incompetence. During this sustained period of struggle the fans for me have shown admirable levels of patience. That patience for me and many others has now cracked and I am hoping that by what will now be the hard core, the shit or shine merchants that will now attend the home games making a stand it will also make the media take notice of the plight of this great club and get us some positive action from those running the club or at the very least some communication and honesty around what they intend to do to put things right.

You appear to have missed my point as well Mark. I didn't say that this protest looks like a reaction to us being shit, I said that's how I feel at the moment. That's the main thing that I'M unhappy with.

The point of my post was that I don't see what the demand is from this walk-out. Some people have said its that we want 'clear direction', others have said this is simply a 'call to arms'. If the people who are in at the ground level can't decide what it's for, right now, then I just don't feel like it'll be understood and subsequently resonate with enough people to make an impact.

"Dear Randy, shit or get off the pot" is the simplest way of putting it I'd say.  The fact we're up for sale means he has probably already chosen to get off the pot.  With that in mind, this is hopefully step one in helping him vacate the cubicle, given that we're already in the process of being flushed down to the Championship.  OK I think that's just about enough poo analogies for one post :)

• Like 1

Not being in the UK, I don't know when Stan Collymore's Talk Sport show is next on. 

Considering he urged the fans to protest but has since remained quiet, is someone willing to call the phone-in? Preferably @MikeMcKenna as Villa fans normally get poorly represented over the airwaves, but we seem in very capable hands with Mike.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, useless said:

If we beat Stoke (I know such an event feels unlikely) then any enthusiasm for this will Decline vreatly, we,pogentiy king in to Everton game with the chance to cut the gap to safety to 2 points. 

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Dem, is that you?

No it is I useless. Although I'm sure I can't be the only to hold the same viewpoint.

I've added a little bit more to the timeline......

Spoiler

2006 Ellis Sells - Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner buys the club and Martin O'Neill replaces David O'Leary as manager. Randy Lerner declares himself ..."what you call the custodian. There have been plenty of custodians of Aston Villa since 1874 and if I can’t make it work I will do what the others did, move on and let someone else try. People like me come and go. The fans will always own Villa because they never leave."

2007 A New Era - Under the banner of "Proud History, Bright Future" The Aston Villa logo is updated by the owner to further emphasise the start of a new era.

2009 Big Spenders – In the summer of 2009 the club are amongst the biggest spenders in Europe but once again narrowly missed out on a Champions League spot.

2010 Summer Sales - Following the sale of Gareth Barry in 2009, O'Neill was once again faced with selling one of his prize assets. James Milner is sold to Manchester City with Stephen Ireland coming in the opposite direction.

2010 O'Neill Departs - Following three back-to-back 6th place finishes O'Neill leaves 5 days before the start of the new season. Lerner states that the two "No longer share a common view as to how to move the club forward". Enter Gerard Houllier.

2011 Troubling Times - With the club battling against relegation and struggling to adapt to the backroom changes, Randy Lerner breaks the club transfer record by bringing in Darren Bent from Sunderland for close to £24 million.

2011 Shackled - Following years of overspending and mismanagement of contracts. Randy Lerner begins a series of cutbacks that hasten the decline of the club from European challengers to relegation battlers.

2011 McLeish Arrives - Houllier leaves due to ill health and amidst protests from the fans Alex McLeish is appointed following a relegation season with Birmingham City. (INSERT QUOTE)

2011 Cut Backs Continue – During McLeish’s first transfer window the club were again selling its star assets. McLeish was now tasked with cutting the wage bill and working to a tight budget whilst keeping the club in the Premier League. Despite these cut backs numerous players were purchased and placed on large contracts.

2012 Relegation Battle - After a 16th place finish and only 4 home wins Alex McLeish is replaced by Norwich manager Paul Lambert. Lambert is given the same remit as McLeish but pressed even further to drastically cut costs.

2012 New Approach - The club's transfer policy is changed with a focus now placed on purchasing cheap potential with the view to sell them for profit at a later date.

2014 - Up For Sale - After years of cost cutting owner Randy Lerner announces that he has put the club up for sale stating that he owes it to Aston Villa to put the club first, to move on and to look for fresh invigorating leadership.

2014 - New Deal - After a positive start to the 2014/15 campaign Paul Lambert is rewarded with a new 4 year deal only to be replaced 4 months later following 3 back-to-back relegation battles.

2015 - Brighter Times? - Tim Sherwood takes charge and is handed a 3 year contract and proceeds to guide the club to survival and an FA Cup final.

2015  - Overhaul – With the club now facing one of its most vital squad overhauls in recent memory the final decision was left in the hands of Tim Sherwood who was embarking on his first pre-season as a manager.

2015  - Garde Arrives – Following one win in eleven games Tim Sherwood is relieved of his duties, 10 months into a 3 year contract. French manager Remi Garde takes over with Lerner stating "Nobody at Villa can deny that we are way behind. We recruited aggressively this past summer and it is our responsibility to now harvest this talent rather than buckle under pressure and criticism - we are better than that”

2016  - White Flag – With the club still rooted to the bottom of the Premier League no signings are sanctioned to help strengthen the club's fight against relegation.

2016  - Stepping Aside  – During January Lerner does make one addition to the club in the form of replacement Chairman Steven Hollis who he states “has a proven track record for getting into the thick of troubled organisations, working with embattled executives and getting results”.

He also announces that “Aston Villa can and should operate in a far more stable and on a far more successful level, both in terms of football as well as commercially, is plainly clear. It is similarly clear that this great club has not been on a stable footing for at least five years.”

• Like 1

Just a small thing, but the mission statement (as quoted in the Mail at least), doesn't mention why it's '74.  Given the numerical closeness to Liverpool's 77 it's probably worth making the distinction so it doesn't get confused with a pricing issue.

Good work all involved though.

Maybe you should mention the lack of control and direction in Lerner's early years which put us in the cost-cutting position we endured for a number of years? Ie: MON spent xxxMillion, buying players like Habib Beye, Nicky Shorey, NRC and Harewood (who barely featured) for xxxAmount, whilst letting promising youngsters like Gary Cahill leave. Etc etc.

5 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Maybe you should mention the lack of control and direction in Lerner's early years which put us in the cost-cutting position we endured for a number of years? Ie: MON spent xxxMillion, buying players like Habib Beye, Nicky Shorey, NRC and Harewood (who barely featured) for xxxAmount, whilst letting promising youngsters like Gary Cahill leave. Etc etc.

Do we have accurate reliable data?

Ideally that would be well presented in a bar graph. There could be one that shows the drop in transfer fees and wages over time. I'd like to do one on the turnover over of the club as well but I don't have the information or the time to dissect it.

We could also put out a list of players signed, fees and wages etc alongside players who we've let go.

Edited by sexbelowsound

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â