Aston Villa Protest Group

MikeMcKenna

As I say for all its positives, and there are many, I think we miss a massive trick if, as Mike suggested, we are all on the Motorway by the time the whistle goes.

I want Hollis/Fox on the phone to Lerner at 11 PM saying " we can't go through that again"......then put them through it again at the next game.

I think if I've just gone home their phone call to Lerner is that much less dramatic.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Is there a plan for what we do having walked out ?

I've stopped going but will go inorder to walk out, but then what ? If we all just go home it's a missed opportunity surely ? And I know personally if I'm spending over £50 to protest I'd like to protest as much as possible.

In addition, in the short term, a few thousand of the most vocal and active fans leaving makes it easier for the Board and players come home time.

We ought to mass in an area that prevents players, the Board, and any followers, leaving. A picket in fact.

Terry it is hard enough getting people to walk out in the first place - which will be a great achievement and a start. One step at a time. If the Everton walk out has even a modest impact it will give us greater momentum for Chelsea game and give time to others who want to organize anything else. We have to be focused on the Walk Out. Lots of people suggesting stuff but not enough actually taking a proactive role. 

18 minutes ago, sne said:

If you believe Top Gear ;) West Midlands were famous for their strikes, at least in the 70's and 80's.

Must be some Villa fans out there from that time who know what to do and how to cause a ruckus?

Well I know a fair bit, my Dad was a Senior Steward at Leyland.....ah the tales I could tell.....and I have been similar at times.

Unfortunately we don't have the key weapon, unanimity. The reason for the closed shop was to address the fact that there are always four groups. The ' power' guy ( Lerner/ Hollis/ Fox). The activists (us, now). The  antis ( those who disagree with the protest/issue) , and crucially, the biggest group by far, the apathetic. Closed shop meant the apathetic were engaged.

And when you think people can be apathetic about their livelihood, it should come as no surprise that getting them engaged over a hobby is impossible !

We can't do that, and it's a huge loss. So the activists have to absolutely maximise their shots. As Thatcher realised, even a very small number, properly targeted can acheive almost as much as unanimity. But you HAVE to make the Power as uncomfortable as possible. It doesn't matter if the first go falls a bit flat, just keep going. They genuinely will not care about us walking out, but they will care about the PR, and they will care if the Police start on about Street protests, traffic intrusion etc, and they will care when the missus gets upset at having to hide in the Boardroom.

If we aren't ready to do those things, then this will be a gesture. A worthy one for sure,butthe Club will need more.

As a definitive proposal I would go for a gathering at the statue, then round to the vehicle exits. Then stay there until ....?

For the next game add to the 74 walkout a what, a march on the way in down the 74 bus route, not far from the ground ? How about leaving on 74 then coming back in on 90 ? Etc etc.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Terry it is hard enough getting people to walk out in the first place - which will be a great achievement and a start. One step at a time. If the Everton walk out has even a modest impact it will give us greater momentum for Chelsea game and give time to others who want to organize anything else. We have to be focused on the Walk Out. Lots of people suggesting stuff but not enough actually taking a proactive role. 

I agree how hard it is.

But would it be that much more difficult to add on  a congregation area, as a minimum ? Fans will leave from 4 sides of the ground, surely we can manage reassembling at the statue ? I think I'd be rather pi**d off going especially to protest and people combining it with an excuse to beat the traffic. I mean there are a fair number leave early anyway !

We want people to see it's worth joining in next time too.

5 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I agree how hard it is.

But would it be that much more difficult to add on  a congregation area, as a minimum ? Fans will leave from 4 sides of the ground, surely we can manage reassembling at the statue ? I think I'd be rather pi**d off going especially to protest and people combining it with an excuse to beat the traffic. I mean there are a fair number leave early anyway !

We want people to see it's worth joining in next time too.

Terry, We will do what we set out to do. If you or any others want to to organize a meet up outside fine.

Our objective for now is to organize the walk outs. The protest is the walk out. 

No disrespect but too many talk and not enough do, 

2 hours ago, DK82 said:

If anybody else can help manage social media let me know. I can add you to the tweetdeck list, or once you like the facebook page, send me your email and i'll add you to contribute there - as long as Mike is cool with that. We need to make sure hashtags are used at all times and we tag media in things we do. 

I have sent you a message via the facebook page Den. Great work mate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think the message should be "we want our Villa Back"

.....and then go in to explanation, in the right circumstances.

Thanks TRO but I don't know what 'Our Villa' should be anymore. Obviously if ever we are invited to talk to the club we will be able to better articulate our complaints and question their strategy. But I doubt we will get the time of day!

2 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Thanks TRO but I don't know what 'Our Villa' should be anymore. Obviously if ever we are invited to talk to the club we will be able to better articulate our complaints and question their strategy. But I doubt we will get the time of day!

Any chants need to be Loud and concise and to the point.

6 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Mike.....What I mean is we need an attention grabbing message that can be chanted and also mention in the media

That can then be supported by structured dialogue.....like you did.

Its transparency from them that is required and some assurance .....They do know what they are doing .........ON THE FOOTBALL SIDE.

ps Our Villa is ......Proud History/Bright Future......Which we thought was being worked to.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Your probably right....It won't leave to runway.....but,

we have to be " Prepared"

Is transparency such a big ask from them?

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

Terry, We will do what we set out to do. If you or any others want to to organize a meet up outside fine.

Our objective for now is to organize the walk outs. The protest is the walk out. 

No disrespect but too many talk and not enough do, 

OK.  No need for that last sentence though.  You have no idea how much I, or others who suggest things, may or may not be doing.

This thread is in respect of this idea, my suggestion was inrespect of this idea, that's it.

I actually think the LAST thing you need would be twenty other people doing slight variations on this Idea and trying to get those message across too..  It would waste energy, and water down your own, clear plan.  That's why I suggested it as an add on, and one I considered easy to do, it just puts an ending on the walking out.

FWIW I think this has a danger of looking like (to non-participants, the Board, the Police, the Media) an easy (to partake in, not to organise) way for people like Season Ticket holders, who have paid anyway, to leave just a bit earlier than usual (the ground is usually practically deserted by the time the final whistle goes) and miss the traffic.  And I thought my suggestion could avoid that at little cost.

Never mind.  Good Luck.

I think between us we should sort out a message.

Broad strokes first. Is this a Randy out protest? A spend more money protest? A sack the manager protest?

We can get specifics later, then maybe a mission statement of sorts

• Like 1

Surely everything we do should be geared towards Lerner out. Anything else and the club can get away with it. Want the club run better? Well that's the plan, let Fox and Hollis do their job. Want more money spent? A couple of parachute money signings in the summer and job done. 

We should make being owner of this club an uncomfortable position to be in. We should make being CEO or chairman an uncomfortable position to be in. 

This is a great start to build on. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think between us we should sort out a message.

Broad strokes first. Is this a Randy out protest? A spend more money protest? A sack the manager protest?

We can get specifics later, then maybe a mission statement of sorts

It should be a "mismanagement protest"

that has got us where we are......They can decide who the problem lies with, if it's more than one.

The problem for us is........when you are a billionaire owner you can pay people to be conformative/ compliant or just plain obstinate in the face of a footballing solution.

......and when they leave like Fitzgerald, Cunnah and Faulkner, you can pay them to keep quiet.

Right now this club is run like a secret organisation that can keep incompetence as quiet as they like, to suit the book.

We want a transparent club that is answerable to incompetence or error. Despite all the written complaints of how this club is run.....not once have I heard from anyone responsible an acknowledgment to the fact.

The arrogance is like a nuclear explosion.

That, would be a start......some downright honesty.....then maybe we could move forward.

This club needs togetherness.....the arrogance/dismissive approach is killing the unity of the club.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

Big thanks and praise to Mike, DK82 and sexbelowsound for getting this off the ground. The rest of us owe it to them now to do all we can in support of this.

Some are much more capable than others Mark.....that's why it's important for us to support them.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, useless said:

What happens if we beat Stoke and am still in the game on 74 minutes against everton, either drawing going for the win or trying to hang on to a lead. As well intentioned and worthwhile this may all be. 

7 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

The issues at this club run way deeper than beginning to be solved by us getting a result prior to the Everton game. Barring a miracle we are down and even if that miracle happened we would be in a similar position next season with the incompetent fools we have running this club.

What I'm saying is  if the turn of events come about that I describe then I doubt most will be of mind to just abandon the game at the time specified, no matter how strongly they feel against those running the club. 

I agree that the club is in a bad place regardless of a few hypothetical good results and hail anyone who's trying to do something to try and improve things. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â