Keinan Davis

a-k

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

They signed Lewis Grabban, at 30 years old, for 6 mill, in 2018 to be fair.

Personally, I don't think it's outlandish at all to want 10 mill plus for Keinan in 2022.

Defo agree with a sell on though.

Difference is I think Grabban scored about 50 goals in the previous 2 or 3 seasons (including for us!). 

But yeah, he'd be a sensible signing for us. His ability to hold the ball up front will be invaluable as a newly promoted team. They already know him, he's already settled. It just makes a lot of sense. Probably worth the premium.

3 hours ago, weedman said:

We bought Coutinho for £17m. If we already owned him would Barcelona have paid £17m to buy him from us? No, because they don't want or need him, so they would consider it a waste of money. Whether or not we would spend £15m on Davis is a nonsensical argument because if we would then we wouldn't be selling him.

Well… it isn’t nonsensical because it’s a method of valuation. I probably would spend £3m on him as I would think he could be developed and sold for more of that. I wouldn’t spend £15m. So somewhere between those is one way of calculating his value to Villa. Anyway it was a point someone else had made and I was just offering the info that in psychology it is called the Endowment Effect, so no need to go on debating it. We are falling into the trap of ‘single quote’ forum responses where this all runs away from the actual point which neither of us was the one making…

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Difference is I think Grabban scored about 50 goals in the previous 2 or 3 seasons (including for us!). 

But yeah, he'd be a sensible signing for us. His ability to hold the ball up front will be invaluable as a newly promoted team. They already know him, he's already settled. It just makes a lot of sense. Probably worth the premium.

Forest fans (unlike a lot of VT posters) appreciate that Davis may not score huge amounts of goals, but brings a truckload of other attributes to their attacking play making them a better team than one that has an eye catching poacher who scores goals but does **** all else for the team which is then weaker overall. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Forest fans (unlike a lot of VT posters) appreciate that Davis may not score huge amounts of goals, but brings a truckload of other attributes to their attacking play making them a better team than one that has an eye catching poacher who scores goals but does **** all else for the team which is then weaker overall. 

Agree completely! But...what have you started? 😂

15 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We should appreciate it too because we witnessed it first hand in 2017/18.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2022 at 20:52, Peter Griffin said:

I agree, but some people think we should hold onto him unless we get 15m/20m. 15m on our profit accounts make a huge difference to us. That gives us a potential 60m in FFP transfer fee allowance in the next 3 years. I would be madness not to keep him. 

Well I hope those that want to hang out for 15mil are prepared to see him go for a nominal fee in a year when he has 12 months left on his contract, Forest will find a better striker for 10 mil without a doubt.

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

Surely that depends on the rest of the team?  If you a team that are good at pressing, good at recovering the ball and good at retaining possession then a striker who *only* scores goals would be far more important than a striker who doesn't score many goals but is good at pressing, recovering the ball and retaining possession.  It is all about balance.

At the moment I would say that one of our problems is that we don't convert enough chances - so therefore a striker who has a high conversion rate would (potentially) address one of our areas of weakness.  I don't think that our team is set up whereby our attacking midfielders are going to be scoring 30 - 50 goals each season (like Liverpool and City).  Our players seem better suited to more of a playmaker type role whose main job is to provide the neat pass for the striker to run onto and stick the ball away.  So I would be perfectly happy with a striker who puts 90% of his effort into trying to link up with Emi2, Couts, etc to create chances for himself to score than someone who spends 90% of their effort pressing the opposition full-back in the middle of their half of the pitch and / or chasing balls aimed at the corner flag in order to create more space for Emi2, Couts, etc to be shooting.

It seems like a bigger change now to adapt to a new system in which a player like Davis may thrive (and to then find out whether he is or isn't good enough) than it would be to find a striker more aligned to the system we seem to be moving towards based on the other signings we have made in the last few months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

That's one hell of an assumption to make.

Mate, finding reliable PL-quality strikers who will slot straight into your team for less than £10m is easy. That’s why all our current strikers have been so cheap and absolutely none of them have any flaws in their game at all.

For context £10m is 1/3 of a Wes.

Edit: it’s actually also less than half of a 30-year old Chris Wood, who I consider the very definition of a competent but unremarkable PL striker.

Edited by Panto_Villan
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, sidcow said:

I think every person that has commented on Davis on here is completely aware of his strengths and how good he is at holding the ball up and moving the game further up the pitch

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Well I hope those that want to hang out for 15mil are prepared to see him go for a nominal fee in a year when he has 12 months left on his contract, Forest will find a better striker for 10 mil without a doubt.

Fortunately, those who would refuse 15m and want to hang out for 20m have no influence on our transfer negotiations and that is left to the sensible people at the club

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think every person that has commented on Davis on here is completely aware of his strengths and how good he is at holding the ball up and moving the game further up the pitch

But they underestimate the importance of it VS goals

Edited by Tom13

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

But they underestimate the importance of it VS goals

I don't believe so, I think they see what he can do but don't believe he can. have the same impact in the PL when playing against much better defenders. Are there any strikers in the PL that don't score goals and are played on the basis that they can hold the ball up well? I can't think of an example of a Davis type player in the PL

21 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I don't believe so, I think they see what he can do but don't believe he can. have the same impact in the PL when playing against much better defenders. Are there any strikers in the PL that don't score goals and are played on the basis that they can hold the ball up well? I can't think of an example of a Davis type player in the PL

Not only that but Davis won’t be as successful holding up the ball in the PL, the defenders are far better at anticipation, interception, quicker, stronger and also more football IQ that will nullify many situations that Davis was able to hold the ball up in the Championship.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not only that but Davis won’t be as successful holding up the ball in the PL, the defenders are far better at anticipation, interception, quicker, stronger and also more football IQ that will nullify many situations that Davis was able to hold the ball up in the Championship.

He was still pretty good in his limited appearances with us in the PL in that. He just has that gift.

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â