Gun and Knife crime

leighavfc

I think it’s important to remember there is far less crime where more people are put in prison, where prison is harsher, and where there is the potential of the death penalty. You only need to see the vanishingly low crime rates in places like the U.S. to appreciate this.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

@NurembergVillan Rob that post from your lived personal experience is a really important post on this subject. We can all speculate about how we'd feel if something happened to one of our children/close family member, and I've done it myself, but none of us really know until we are in that position. 

I actually think the death penalty is too lenient a punishment for those who have committed horrific crimes. It is an easy way out which is why you get a lot of those who have committed those crimes attempting to take their own lives. A lifetime of punishment and suffering would be a far tougher sentence than death.

I agree with this. Death is so final. They won't suffer when they are gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I think it’s important to remember there is far less crime where more people are put in prison, where prison is harsher, and where there is the potential of the death penalty. You only need to see the vanishingly low crime rates in places like the U.S. to appreciate this.

Playing devils advocate here, but I think it can work if you really commit to it. Crime rates are pretty low in Saudi, aren’t they?

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

Playing devils advocate here, but I think it can work if you really commit to it. Crime rates are pretty low in Saudi, aren’t they?

I think the same people that want brutal revenge sentencing are also scared because Bromsgrove and Droitwich are literally sharia law no go zones.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think the same people that want brutal revenge sentencing are also scared because Bromsgrove and Droitwich are literally sharia law no go zones.

Getting silly again.

• 1 month later...

A knife wholesaler whose weapons have been used in several killings has surrendered more than 35,000 "zombie" blades.

Police said the knives and machetes were designed to "kill and maim".

Under a government surrender scheme Luton-based Sporting Wholesale will receive £10 compensation for each knife.

The company said it would not comment.

I wonder how much they cost to make…

link

On 03/08/2024 at 08:31, PaulC said:

Great post. A friend mentioned the Rinder Program and I think the hangman was Albert Pierrepont.  Will have to give it a watch.

It's fair to point out that Pierrepoint himself later became at the very least conflicted about the role of capital punishment, if not entirely against it. He is quoted as having said that he did not think that the death penalty is in any way a deterrent, and that all of his executions 'did not prevent a single murder'. 

I am personally extremely against the death penalty. If being civilised is measured by how we treat prisoners, as Dostoyevsky believed, then it is the opposite of civility. And on top of that, it does not f***ing work as a deterrent. A study undertaken in America in 2004 found that the average murder rate for states with capital punishment was 5.71 per 100,000 people. For states without, it was 4.02 per 100, 000. In Canada, a study in 2008 found that 27 years after the abolition of the death penalty, murder rates had fallen by 44%. The decline in murder rate started in 1977 (1 year after abolition), and has continued to fall year on year (with the exception of 1981 which saw a slight rise) since. 

You can't preach to citizens about the sanctity of life, and expect them to hold this as a concept, and then institutionally take lives. It's as simple as that for me. It brutalises society. 

Honestly I find officially organised executions horrifying. As much so as the crimes themselves. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I wonder how much they cost to make…

link

I know they probably like to have these in order to show off, but will this really stop knife crime? If you want to carry a knife and are willing to use it I'm sure they'll just use kitchen knives instead. 

They need to solve the "willing to carry and use" issue really. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I know they probably like to have these in order to show off, but will this really stop knife crime? If you want to carry a knife and are willing to use it I'm sure they'll just use kitchen knives instead. 

They need to solve the "willing to carry and use" issue really. 

I agree, my post though was more a skeptical thought that maybe this wholesaler made/bought a shit load of cheap knives because they knew there was a scheme to buy them for £10 a piece. 

£350k in 1 sale, nice deal for them.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â