Gun and Knife crime

leighavfc

I guess motive will  be revealed at some point but the account I heard on the news said  he took a cab there , stalked the place for a few minutes and then carried out the attack  , which suggests he seems to have deliberately targeted this event , that was mainly advertised on Facebook  ?

obviously speculation isn't a good thing and I'm not trying to do that , I'm just trying to understand  if he woke up this morning thinking I want to kill some people , he could have picked any number of random people or events , but to take a taxi to a children's yoga party that I doubt more than few hundred people knew about , is that how mental illness works ? 

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Claiming metal health gets them off real jail time. They were very unhappy with this, an so would you if they were yours.

I saw a documentary on this. I'll try and find a link.

It's very eye opening. If you think mental health facilities/institutions etc where they send people who are unfit to stand trial (for example) are better than real jail time, you'd be in for a shock.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Depends . An old mate of mine was given 15-20 years for butchering his girlfriend with a knife who was early pregnancy. He tried to play the mental health card but failed after medical reports stated it wasn’t a factor . 

Yeah this is the other thing about it. you can't just "claim" mental health or insanity etc. It has to be proved. And it's basically impossible to fake it.

If someone is declared unfit mentally to face trial or clinically insane etc, then it's almost certainly true

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah this is the other thing about it. you can't just "claim" mental health or insanity etc. It has to be proved. And it's basically impossible to fake it.

If someone is declared unfit mentally to face trial or clinically insane etc, then it's almost certainly true

Yeah they quickly dismissed his claims of diminished responsibility which was a cop out really . His sentence was lenient imo and although he got released two years ago he’s back inside now for breaching his conditions. I think he’s due for release again soon but he needs hanging . 

16 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I guess motive will  be revealed at some point but the account I heard on the news said  he took a cab there , stalked the place for a few minutes and then carried out the attack  , which suggests he seems to have deliberately targeted this event , that was mainly advertised on Facebook  ?

obviously speculation isn't a good thing and I'm not trying to do that , I'm just trying to understand  if he woke up this morning thinking I want to kill some people , he could have picked any number of random people or events , but to take a taxi to a children's yoga party that I doubt more than few hundred people knew about , is that how mental illness works ? 

That’s premeditated obviously but regarding if mental illness works that way , yes it does. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I saw a documentary on this. I'll try and find a link.

It's very eye opening. If you think mental health facilities/institutions etc where they send people who are unfit to stand trial (for example) are better than real jail time, you'd be in for a shock.

13 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Here you go @foreveryoung and @Rugeley Villa

Age restricted so you probably have to watch it on YouTube itself but really good video. 

Obviously it’s US focused but principles are the same

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Here you go @foreveryoung and @Rugeley Villa

Age restricted so you probably have to watch it on YouTube itself but really good video. 

Obviously it’s US focused but principles are the same

I’ll watch it shortly . I never said that mental institutions are better to be in than  prisons though. 

Edited by Rugeley Villa

35 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'd say so. 

It's so evil and deranged what he did. Mental illness doesn't just mean losing it in the moment. 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ll watch it shortly . I never said that mental institutions are better to be in than  prisons though. 

Oh yeah I know you didn't, sorry mate.

I just thought it might interest you as well given our other posts

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd say so. 

It's so evil and deranged what he did. Mental illness doesn't just mean losing it in the moment. 

Indeed. In fact it's probably the exact opposite.

Having a flaming row with your partner, possibly while drunk, losing your temper and lashing out is arguably a sign of a 'bad' personality, but it's likely not schizophrenia, so mental illness would not be any sort of legal defence. 

Buying weapons, fantasising about violence, combing social media to find potential victims, and meticulously planning an attack is pretty much the very definition of mentally ill. 

• Like 1

To me , this has horrible echoes of the attacks on kids in Bilston some years ago. I don't know if Horrett Campbell was known to Police/Social Services but he was certainly known in the West indian community as being "not right". Wonder if this bloke is the same and if so will we get the "lessons learned" remarks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd say so. 

Metnal illness is not linked to violence in my opinion.  

• Confused 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, Pongo Waring said:

Metnal illness is not linked to violence in my opinion.  

That is a quite bizarre take, if I may say so. 

• Like 4

Just the thought of those kids being traumatised, possibly for life, when all they were looking forward to was having a wonderful time at the dance class. One can only imagine the terror on those poor, young faces.

• Sad 3

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

You're entitled to to that opinion but its shit and demonstrably wrong. 

While perpetrating violence is relatively uncommon among those with serious mental illness, when it does occur, in many cases it is intertwined with other issues such as co-occurring substance use, adverse childhood experiences, and environmental factors, says Eric B. Elbogen, PhD, a psychologist and professor of psychiatry and behavioral science at the Duke University School of Medicine who studies violence and mental illness.

“If a person has a severe mental illness, [they] may have other risk factors for violent behavior,” he says. “So, it may not be mental illness that is driving the violence at all, but rather factors like having been abused as a child, being unemployed, or living in a high-crime neighborhood.”

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2021/04/ce-mental-illness

Not sure if this carries any weight on the subject 

• Like 2

Just now, Follyfoot said:

“So, it may not be mental illness that is driving the violence at all, but rather factors like having been abused as a child, being unemployed, or living in a high-crime neighborhood.”

Which are themselves known factors in triggering mental illness. 

Mental illness and violence

Violence is not a symptom of psychotic illness. The relationship between mental illness and violence is complex. Research suggests there is little relationship between mental illness and violence when substance use is not involved.

Psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia can sometimes be associated with aggressive or violent behavior. People living with schizophrenia are no more violent or dangerous than the rest of the population, if they are:

• receiving effective treatment
  • not misusing alcohol or drugs.

They are more likely to harm themselves than others.

https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/mental-illness-and-violence

more of the same

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â