Gun and Knife crime

leighavfc

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Read here for the stats

Its grim

It is grim, and a 50% increase over a decade (though falling now) is clearly indicative of some problems we need to address.

I do think we should take stock of where we are as a country on this though, especially when comparisons with gun crime come out, and you have yankee media talking about knife crime problems in the UK like we're in any way comparable to the shitshow over there.

Data from 2019 (which was our peak and conveniently the data that is easy to access) shows that our rate of stabbing deaths was 0.08 per 100,000 people.

That rate is half of Italy's, 40% of France's, half of Ireland, Switzerland, 20% of New Zealand's. The US had 7 times more knife deaths per capita.

It's higher than it should be, it's higher than it was a decade ago, but even when focussing the deaths to knife deaths which is supposedly our biggest problem, we're one of the safest countries in Europe and in the world, though I know it doesn't feel like it on days like today.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not sure if true but apparently he was an asylum seeker on the M16 watchlist and known to mental health services.  Arrived by boat last year. 

According to the BBC...

"A 17-year-old male, originally from Cardiff and living near Southport, has been arrested"

• Like 1

Just now, Designer1 said:

According to the BBC...

"A 17-year-old male, originally from Cardiff and living near Southport, has been arrested"

Yeah that’s why I said apparently. Suppose we’ll know soon enough 

36 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

This is truly terrible.

Let me guess.... another refugee 

He is Welsh. The Police have said the following.

"A 17-year-old male from Banks in Lancashire, who was born in Cardiff, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and attempted murder and has been taken to a police station where he will be interviewed by detectives

Merseyside Police Statement Following Incident in Southport

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It is grim, and a 50% increase over a decade (though falling now) is clearly indicative of some problems we need to address.

I do think we should take stock of where we are as a country on this though, especially when comparisons with gun crime come out, and you have yankee media talking about knife crime problems in the UK like we're in any way comparable to the shitshow over there.

Data from 2019 (which was our peak and conveniently the data that is easy to access) shows that our rate of stabbing deaths was 0.08 per 100,000 people.

That rate is half of Italy's, 40% of France's, half of Ireland, Switzerland, 20% of New Zealand's. The US had 7 times more knife deaths per capita.

It's higher than it should be, it's higher than it was a decade ago, but even when focussing the deaths to knife deaths which is supposedly our biggest problem, we're one of the safest countries in Europe and in the world, though I know it doesn't feel like it on days like today.

Im stunned that we are better than new Zealand and switzland tbh.  New Zealand i always deemed as one of the safest places.

You raise a lot of good points here. It just appears that eveey fay in news you hear of stabbings so you automatically think we are one of the worst

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not sure if true but apparently he was an asylum seeker on the M16 watchlist and known to mental health services.  Arrived by boat last year. 

Ignore this bollocks then 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Ignore this bollocks then 

Unfortunately what you've posted is all over social media. 

Its ridiculous how quickly people were desperate for this to be a certain type of person.

• Like 1

A truly horrific event. I cannot imagine what it must be like for a parent to receive a call or a visit from the emergency services to say that your child has been involved, either fatally or critically injured?

You can only protect your children so much as well and assume that places like schools and social clubs are completely safe havens.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Unfortunately what you've posted is all over social media. 

Its ridiculous how quickly people were desperate for this to be a certain type of person.

Yeah a lad I know sent it me . He’s ginger so we’ll forgive him. 

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah a lad I know sent it me . He’s ginger so we’ll forgive him. 

Maybe you could tell him he was spreading lies designed to stoke racial divisions, and he could think twice before shit stirring next time.

Lads will be lads eh :) 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Maybe you could tell him he was spreading lies designed to stoke racial divisions, and he could think twice before shit stirring next time.

Lads will be lads eh :) 

I’ve told him its lies and he said I dunno it’s all over social media . He’s not normally into all that . Lazy from him then from me . 

12 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Mental health should not be an excuse for this!!! 
This is pure evil. 

It's not an excuse. It's a reason. 

A truly evil horrific attack. Mentally stable people don't do that. 

• Like 1

Social media has even gone so far as naming the 17 year old. If it's true I'd be surprised if he's from Cardiff with Welsh heritage! I think the right are desperate to light the touch paper after the incident, reaction to, and follow up of the Manchester airport incident. Getting this bs all over social media only increases the chances of a "revenge" response.

• Like 1

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve told him its lies and he said I dunno it’s all over social media . He’s not normally into all that . Lazy from him then from me . 

That bit is just terrifying. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

It's not an excuse. It's a reason. 

A truly evil horrific attack. Mentally stable people don't do that. 

There’s mental health problems then there’s mental health problems you know what I’m getting at. It does sound that it’s a severe case of mental illness which makes people do evil things .

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Yep , it’s a common theme nowadays. 

Who uses it as an excuse? 

No one says "horrible but mental health so let them off with it."

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â