Gun and Knife crime

leighavfc

29 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Metnal illness is not linked to violence in my opinion.  

What are your qualifications in the field of mental health?

Overall, people with serious mental illness—which generally refers to those with major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and schizoaffective disorder—are somewhat more likely than members of the general public to commit acts of violence, research shows. A study by Richard A. Van Dorn, PhD, of RTI International, and colleagues, for example, found that in a nationally representative community sample of 34,653 people from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions, 2.9% of people with serious mental illness had committed violent acts between 2 and 4 years following the study’s baseline, compared with 0.8% of people with no serious mental illness or substance use disorder. However, 10% of people with both serious mental illness and substance use disorder committed such acts during that time (Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, Vol. 47, No. 3, 2012).

Such research may seem to support the notion that people with mental illness pose a danger to society. But a closer look reveals that the situation is more complex, says Elbogen. In the most general sense, “there is a link between mental health and violence,” he says, “but at the same time, most people with severe mental illness are not violent.”

American Psychological Association

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I have no side in this discussion  , but if you are asking one poster for their credentials , surely you then have to ask the poster who called their opinion shit and demonstrably wrong , for their credentials as well ? ( and to show  this demonstrable evidence) 

there are a lot of studies out there arguing that its inconclusive , i guess poster A could have used one study and poster B a different one :)  

• Like 3

Just now, tonyh29 said:

( and to show  this demonstrable evidence) 

reading before posting should be a requisite too :D 

This is anecdotal, via my wife  and her family of ne'er do wells, my brother in law is currently in prison for the brutal stabbing and killing of his girlfriend. Although he was schizophrenic and during one episode stabbed a dog, this time the judge ruled that he did not have diminished responsibility and this murder was down to a combination of heroin and diazepam. In all fairness we, the family think it was down to his schizophrenia, but I am merely a bystander and not a professional. He was however always a bit of a wrong un and should have been locked up for stabbing the dog, he was sectioned for that.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

reading before posting should be a requisite too :D 

adding some vague evidence to a new post 45 mins after your original post is cheating :P 

Just now, tonyh29 said:

adding some vague evidence to a new post 45 mins after your original post is cheating :P 

Some of us have work to do and eating new flavours of crisps and nuking coffee isn't my idea of work :P 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Do I need to show evidence of qualifications just because you don't agree with my opinion?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pongo Waring said:

Do I need to show evidence of qualifications just because you don't agree with my opinion?  

It just seems such a strong opinion to have if you have no expertise in the field. And given your early eagerness for the killer to be an immigrant I question your motives for sharing this opinion. 

Edited by DCJonah

Such a horrendous thing to happen. Honestly not sure if I’d be able to carry on with my life if I lost my daughter in such a horrific and sudden way.

Feels like our gun laws probably saved quite a few lives today too.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It just seems such a strong opinion to have if you have no expertise in the field. And given your early eagerness for the victim to be an immigrant I question your motives for sharing this opinion. 

Victim? Don't you mean the child murderer being an immigrants child. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Such a horrendous thing to happen. Honestly not sure if I’d be able to carry on with my life if I lost my daughter in such a horrific and sudden way.

Feels like our gun laws probably saved quite a few lives today too.

God yes, if he'd had access to a semi automatic gun... it doesn't bear thinking about...

52 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It just seems such a strong opinion to have if you have no expertise in the field. And given your early eagerness for the victim to be an immigrant I question your motives for sharing this opinion. 

Victim is a bold claim 👀

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I've only just heard that the murderers is the son of immigrants. It shouldn't matter but I don't dare go on Twitter.

It’s not even that it shouldn’t matter - it doesn’t matter.

(But yes, you shouldn’t go on Twitter. That’s just general advice, mind)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Just because my opinion stinks to you doesn't mean I have to show you my qualifications to you or any other people.  

No eagerness at all. Very judgemental of you.
This is a very and sad event that makes you angry and I jumped to conclusions and fell for the Social media/Telegraph rubbish at posted it here. I apologized for any offence caused. 

No the "victim" wasn't what you call an "Immigrant" it was a son of two refugees. But  why does it matter to you so much? It doesn't matter to me, my thoughts are with the children and the families right now😢

Seems those thinking they're morally higher are showing the same hypocritical thinking and actions of what their judgement is to others and seem rather happy that the victim wasn't what the papers first reported. Making you look very bad right now. Bully tactics in my opinion (Sorry no qualifications in this subject either your royal highness)

Edited by Pongo Waring

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â