The Good The Bad And The Ugly

Rugeley Villa

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

All I am saying, you post The Fall you are guaranteed likes by @Designer1, me, @bickster and @blandy will be along soon. Its like fishing for a Kenneth. 

And if there was a 'visceral hatred'/'total incomprehension' emoji I'd be right in there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Best Fall cover version…

have a 2 for the price of 1

Not even the best cover version on that album for me... and no, it's probably not the one you're  thinking

6 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

And if there was a 'visceral hatred'/'total incomprehension' emoji I'd be right in there. 

As expected Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Not even the best cover version on that album for me... and no, it's probably not the one you're  thinking

Do you know the story it’s telling?

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Seat68 said:

All I am saying, you post The Fall you are guaranteed likes by @Designer1, me, @bickster and @blandy will be along soon. Its like fishing for a Kenneth. 

You gotta remember I have only been here two months. I have little idea who likes what- hell, I’m having a hard enough time with names and where people live- so while I now get your point you shouldn’t give me even that much credit. I had no idea this would be liked by the folks you mentioned, I just posted because I’ve been listening to the 1968 Zappa Whisky A Go Go live release the past two days and I discovered that when looking for a live video of the Mothers doing it. Sorry to disappoint but in time you’ll get used to me doing just 🤣

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

No, do tell though

Well it combines the lyrics of two of the very early reggae singles. Lee Perry used to record for the Joe Gibbs stable and him and Gibbs had a big falling out over… shock … money. Perry left and founded the Upsetter label. His first “solo” single away from Gibbs was People Funny Boy which was generally regarded as the first dis record in reggae and it was also regarded as taking a huge swipe at Gibbs, it was a huge Jamaican hit which supposedly pissed Gibbs off even more, so Gibbs released the answer record in response called People Grudgeful. So the Falls cover takes in the lyrics of both songs tell the story. If you look at the album credits, MES only credited Perry so it is assumed he was taking Perry’s side.

So not only does it tell of the way the big sound system owners used to exploit people, it also references the very early reggae records and indeed tells the story of the birth of the legendary Upsetter label

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

You gotta remember I have only been here two months. I have little idea who likes what- he’ll, I’m having a hard enough time with names and where people live- so while I now get your point you shouldn’t give me even that much credit. I had no idea this would be liked by the folks you mentioned, I just posted because I’ve been listening to the 1968 Zappa Whisky A Go Go live release the past two days and I discovered that when looking for a live video of the Mothers doing it. Sorry to disappoint but in time you’ll get used to me doing just 🤣

Ah don’t take it seriously. The Fall and to a degree Nick Cave are guaranteed a few likes. No harm, no drama. You may also see references to Bonnie Raitt. Thats worth a search on VT. But its only been a few months but you are definitely fitting in. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Ah don’t take it seriously. The Fall and to a degree Nick Cave are guaranteed a few likes. No harm, no drama. You may also see references to Bonnie Raitt. Thats worth a search on VT. But its only been a few months but you are definitely fitting in. 

I didn’t 🍻 😉

I’ve picked up on a few of the inside jokes but will take a long time (if ever) for me to become fluent. 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well it combines the lyrics of two of the very early reggae singles. Lee Perry used to record for the Joe Gibbs stable and him and Gibbs had a big falling out over… shock … money. Perry left and founded the Upsetter label. His first “solo” single away from Gibbs was People Funny Boy which was generally regarded as the first dis record in reggae and it was also regarded as taking a huge swipe at Gibbs, it was a huge Jamaican hit which supposedly pissed Gibbs off even more, so Gibbs released the answer record in response called People Grudgeful. So the Falls cover takes in the lyrics of both songs tell the story. If you look at the album credits, MES only credited Perry so it is assumed he was taking Perry’s side.

So not only does it tell of the way the big sound system owners used to exploit people, it also references the very early reggae records and indeed tells the story of the birth of the legendary Upsetter label

Thanks, that is a good story - will look into the originals

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Best Fall cover version…

In the top 3. I’d maybe go with Victoria, or Lost in Music as the others.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

One of Gene Clark’s finest songs. 

I don't know many Gene Clark songs, but I do know these two GK titled bangers

and 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't know many Gene Clark songs, but I do know these two GK titled bangers

and 

His most well-known song, though I imagine, unfortunately, most know it via the Eagles cover

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

One of Gene Clark’s finest songs. 

(Whisper it...) better than GC's original for me. That Greg Leisz pedal steel just lifts it into the stratosphere. 

• Like 1

one of Prince’s finest songs. Love her a capella version of The Who Sell Out. Very impressive body of work, she’s worked with Bill Frissell, Mike Watt, The Decemberists, Beck, et al. Daughter of the great Charlie Haden, sister-in-law of Jack Black

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â