The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If we revert to the form we showed pre-Liverpool then we're on the right track.

I’d be pleasantly surprised if that happened mate. This squad is done for me now, they have given up and the season is over for many of them and too many of them will either already have decided they want out over the summer or will be aware that the club will want rid of them. I expect at least another two or three good hidings between now and the end of the season. We played a team on Sunday that were better than us ability wise but should never have been hungrier, had more commitment and wanted the points more than us. The fact that they did says it all.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is where we fundamentally disagree.

I don't agree one bit that we get worse.

Yes the Liverpool game was a very bad performance. But in general the trend under Garde has been one of definite improvement, and that's what I think he should be judged on rather than the odd awful performance.

If he turns in a string of these between now and the end of the season then the point is more valid, imo. If we revert to the form we showed pre-Liverpool then we're on the right track.

Garde got lucky with a couple of wins, one, against Norwich, which should probably have been a defeat if they had kept their heads in front of goal, and for a moment VT went bonkers over how much better things were under Garde.

I think Sunday was a return to the reality of our position. Things have improved a little since he arrived but it's hard to look at his record with Villa so far and call it "the right track".

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I’d be pleasantly surprised if that happened mate. This squad is done for me now, they have given up and the season is over for many of them and too many of them will either already have decided they want out over the summer or will be aware that the club will want rid of them. I expect at least another two or three good hidings between now and the end of the season. We played a team on Sunday that were better than us ability wise but should never have been hungrier, had more commitment and wanted the points more than us. The fact that they did says it all.

Can't argue the point . As a true Villa fan , and it kills me to say it , but hand on heart , this team  don't deserve to stay up .

This thread is absolutely mindblowing.  Deckchairs and the Titanic come to mind!!

I really don't understand what Garde is supposed to do

Bunn - nowhere near good enough

Richards - a liability

Okore - OK

Lescott - lacks ability, lacks heart

Cissoko - second best

Westwood - the definition of average

Gana - OK

Veretout - OK

Gil - lightweight

Bacuna - brainless

Gabby - three years too late, three stone too heavy

We're going to get a few more kickings yet

No idea if Garde is good enough - I'll start to make a judgement when he has a chance to mould his own team rather than the shower of shite he has been handed so far

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is where we fundamentally disagree.

I don't agree one bit that we get worse.

Yes the Liverpool game was a very bad performance. But in general the trend under Garde has been one of definite improvement, and that's what I think he should be judged on rather than the odd awful performance.

If he turns in a string of these between now and the end of the season then the point is more valid, imo. If we revert to the form we showed pre-Liverpool then we're on the right track.

No problem Steveo985.............. each to their own............... I happen to fundamentally disagree with the fact that weve seen definite improvement.  IMO we haven't - their have been far more Liverpools, Evertons, Wycombes and bad days than their have been Palace and Leicesters................ I don't feel weve improved at all....... Infact I don't really see what Garde has done or is trying to do since he took over................ again, I feel his hands have been tied in the January spending, but that aside, hes presided over complete and utter garbage in the main since hes took over........... if I really felt green shoot of recovery outside of the actual results then Id be a little more positive, but I just don't.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Garde got lucky with a couple of wins, one, against Norwich, which should probably have been a defeat if they had kept their heads in front of goal, and for a moment VT went bonkers over how much better things were under Garde.

I think Sunday was a return to the reality of our position. Things have improved a little since he arrived but it's hard to look at his record with Villa so far and call it "the right track".

That is cherry-picking. You cannot really use that as an argument, unless you would concede that if our defence had `kept their heads' in several matches, under Garde we would be fighting for 17th place.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

That is cherry-picking. You cannot really use that as an argument, unless you would concede that if our defence had `kept their heads' in several matches, under Garde we would be fighting for 17th place.

totally agree - imagine our position if we got those penalty decisions against West Brom, West Ham etc etc - we could all point to where our results might have changed for better or worse.

Remi is doing everything he can with a complete shower of shit at his disposal and couldn't strengthen it in the recent window.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Sean Dyche and Mark Warburton would both be good choices - both young English coaches in the mould of Graham Taylor MK1. But would they work under Hollis and Lerner? We need somebody who is familiar with the league/promotion but can get the fans excited about the future. 

It will be Micky Adams or Gary Megson (somebody desperate for a job but proven in the Championship ages ago). I have premonitions of Brian Little standing in the dug out while we are slogging in league 1. 

I think Warburton would be a great appointment. I think he could work at Villa, he is working at Rangers who are probaby about as shambolic as we are when it comes to being run.

Just being chewing the fat with quite a few Villa ST holders in the pub most of whom are much older than me. General feeling is that Garde needs to go, this is coming from guys that have been going down for 40+ years. They feel he isn't up to it and can't get the players to believe in him. Seems to be more pro Garde people on here than out and about.

I think I'm in the get rid of him camp now if I'm honest. I don't think he has improved us at all and I dont want him here next season. He doesn't do anything for me at all. Reminds me of when we appointed Venglos

14 minutes ago, drat01 said:

Modern day Dr Jo

You mean being ahead of his time, and the pioneer of foreign managers into the League?

His methods are commonplace now, but were completely alien to British players.

Although perhaps you did not mean it to be a compliment?

15 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

This thread is absolutely mindblowing.  Deckchairs and the Titanic come to mind!!

Speaking of nautical cliches, I like the thought of rats abandoning the sinking ship just about now.

9 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I don't think it's cherry picking!

Norwich possession of 52%, 13 shots, 5 on target, 11 corners was superior to our performance. We were outplayed by Norwich for a lot of the match and anyone watching with honest eyes would have to admit that. We really could have lost that match like the others you mention where the defence didn't "keep their heads".

But I'm not really expecting this delusional Garde love-in to stop whatever the results (if Sunday can't stop it, nothing will!). 

52 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

A lot of people, myself included, probably said similar stuff after the Everton game, or the Sunderland game, as two examples.
There were many predicting we wouldn't even make it to 10 points, that's how much we'd capitulated.

The trend has been upwards. If the Liverpool game causes the (very very small) wheels to fall off then so be it.

I personally don't believe that that defeat means we'll suddenly go on a run of similar performances, but I certainly acknowledge the possibility.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

I don't think it's cherry picking!

Norwich possession of 52%, 13 shots, 5 on target, 11 corners was superior to our performance. We were outplayed by Norwich for a lot of the match and anyone watching with honest eyes would have to admit that. We really could have lost that match like the others you mention where the defence didn't "keep their heads".

But I'm not really expecting this delusional Garde love-in to stop whatever the results (if Sunday can't stop it, nothing will!). 

Why can't you ever have a debate without resorting to name calling?

There's no love in. What does that even mean?

People are defending Garde, which is their right. Just because they don't share your view of him doesn't mean they're delusional.

• Like 3

Sky had a list of stats today .. is it any coincidence that our players cover the least amount of ground per game than any team  .. the implication being we aren't very fit  .. ( I mentioned previously in this thread I thought our players looked leggy and tired ) of course it could just be the style Remi wants us to play , running around like a headless chicken doesn't automatically equate to be results  (see Bournemouth) but one of the things Klopps teams Liverpool seem to have done is sacrifice flair and skill for playing high tempo and pressing the other team , and it worked quite effectively on Sunday

Using EA Sports Player Performance data, we've taken a look at a number of key running stats - as well as Premier League teams' goals for and against in the final minutes of matches.

While not a fool-proof method of determining which team is the fittest, the numbers show Tottenham are indeed one of the hardest-working sides in the division…

I like Garde however I think we need to plan for next season as I expect him to walk at the end of the season. Moyes would've been my first choice however I doubt he would take the job regardless of which division we are in due to the current structure in place.

And herein lies the problem, until the structure changes we will struggle to appoint a top drawer manager. Lerner has lost interest so I'd be amazed if the current regime of clowns will change.

Sky had a list of stats today .. is it any coincidence that our players cover the least amount of ground per game than any team  .. the implication being we aren't very fit  .. ( I mentioned previously in this thread I thought our players looked leggy and tired ) of course it could just be the style Remi wants us to play , running around like a headless chicken doesn't automatically equate to be results  (see Bournemouth) but one of the things Klopps teams Liverpool seem to have done is sacrifice flair and skill for playing high tempo and pressing the other team , and it worked quite effectively on Sunday

Using EA Sports Player Performance data, we've taken a look at a number of key running stats - as well as Premier League teams' goals for and against in the final minutes of matches.

While not a fool-proof method of determining which team is the fittest, the numbers show Tottenham are indeed one of the hardest-working sides in the division…

Not very fit or just going through the motions? I think the latter for most.

7 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

Moyes would've been my first choice however I doubt he would take the job regardless of which division we are in due to the current structure in place

I thought the rumour was he wanted the job  and we declined ?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â