The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Garde took on a very hard job, he inherited an unbalanced team lacking in quality and who were at the time in an absolute mess. 

Although I'm disappointment he didn't deliver the necessary immediate impact to turn our fortunes around (it's a lot to ask and maybe unrealistic to ask). I do think he's now doing a pretty decent job here, he has made us much more solid, is now making the right decisions in terms of selection and there's a little bit more confidence in our play (just not enough quality in the final third). 

However, his very hard job has been made even harder by this utterly disgraceful board, the worst board we've had in modern history. I do feel very sorry for him, there's absolutely no way he'll have gone into this window not wanting several players to be signed. There's only one logical explanation for what we've had to endure this month and that is simply that Lerner has turned the taps off, has accepted our fate and simply wants to accelerate it rather than giving us a fighting chance. 

The 1 point gained from games with Norwich, Sunderland and Newcastle have not helped his cause. Ideally we should have had 5 or 6 points from those 3 games then we would have only been 4/5 points adrift. The fact we are so far adrift means we are basically down, we can't take risks with paying big money and also nobody wants to play for us this season either. The position of recruitment this January has been made almost impossible

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

Even if we had gained points from those games I'm still not convinced we would take the risk the other clubs are taking currently in trying to stay up. Even low level risks such as loans seem to be out the question.

We would be 4 points from Norwich, 3 from Newcastle and 1 point ahead of Sunderland and not bottom. That's a massive difference

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I'm not saying it's not a big difference i'm stating I'm not convinced the board would still take the risk that the other clubs are doing even if we were in the better position.

I disagree, but what do I know :D

Our league position doesn't have a baring on what we would spend right now, given that in the last 3 years we haven't achieved more that 38 points and in dire need of investment. Remember the summer of 2014? A poultry 11million spent on a squad that had just got to safety again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I'm not saying it's not a big difference i'm stating I'm not convinced the board would still take the risk that the other clubs are doing even if we were in the better position.

them extra points is the difference between a Grant Holt, Simon Dawkins  or nothing at all ;) 

5 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

That would probably be an excuse for them to not spend. "See, we're pretty close to safety with this squad, so we don't need to sign anyone else to stay up."

13 hours ago, KHV said:

You can't force people to sign for a football club, we are better off waiting until the summer before doing any recruitment, we have nothing to offer at all in January to any potential players

I know we cant force players to sign BUT considering our situation surely we could have offered decent wages and a 4 year contract and most important.We could have added a clause where if we get relegated the player is able to leave for what we payed for him.That way the player is not trapped into relegation also as a club of our standing fights to survive surley all eyes would be on us,so the players are actually putting themselves in the shop window.

The bottom line is.Instead of spending to stay up, we are going to cut costs by going down.

4 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

The bottom line is.Instead of spending to stay up, we are going to cut costs by going down.

Of course we are. We have been down for weeks. There is no point at all spending in this window.

• Like 1

We could have added a clause where if we get relegated the player is able to leave for what we payed for him.

Why would ANY club pay the same price 6 months later for a player at a relegated club that wants to leave. Have you not been paying attention over the last 5 years?

On 11/01/2016 at 10:08, Richard said:

I think he is a poor manager. I do not think he is the main to rebuild us or bring back our former glories such that they were, however it would be a huge embarrassment for all at the club if he should walk now

22 hours ago, Richard said:

I like Garde.  Not convinced as a manager he is right for us in terms of being able to build a squad to compete in the championship but I like him as a person.  He speaks very well, articulate ,  thoughtful and very intelligent.  Nice bloke.  

He has been shit on from a great height.

Sorry Richard but have to challenge you on these two seemingly opposing views. 

Do you like him as a man but still think he is a poor manager?

If he quit i would not hold it against him! He can't do anymore with this squad. The board have made their mind up and think spending won't help us as we are going down anyway! Total defeatist attitude to have and if i was a manager i think i would walk whats the point!? If the board have given up then what hope do you have!?

• Like 1

I can't work out if I feel sorry for him or not.

Sure he's not been backed at all, and I'm sure the board would have back tracked on any conversation with him when begging to take over as he wouldn't have taken it without a promise of money.

But it's days like this that makes me think he's not very good. He was beginning to win me over - but that team today. I expect to lose, we aren't very good and Man City are. But that team was a Richardson missing from being ridiculous. Guzan? Really? Sinclair? Really? Not one proper centre forward. 

If there is a chance that he's going to be got rid of at the end of the year - and for that we need signs he can get us back up - then theres no point in spending any money on players he wants.

3 hours ago, VillaCas said:

Sorry Richard but have to challenge you on these two seemingly opposing views. 

Do you like him as a man but still think he is a poor manager?

I'd say that's exactly what he thinks.

I'd say it's similar to my views on him, nice bloke, may be a decent manager but this is the wrong job for him IMO.

I think the the Villa job is more suited to somebody like Nigel Pearson

I honestly believe today's team selection was with one eye on the more important fixture against West Ham on Tuesday night.

Also, it was another way of confirming to the board that we need more players (not that they listen or give a damn)

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

I'd say that's exactly what he thinks.

I'd say it's similar to my views on him, nice bloke, may be a decent manager but this is the wrong job for him IMO.

I think the the Villa job is more suited to somebody like Nigel Pearson

Why would Pearson be more suited? Because he's English?

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â