The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

The midfield is a major issue and has been for years. It's utter tripe. No wingers, nobody that imposes themselves on a game in the centre. Gana does that in patches then gives the ball away with a simple pass.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

It's not as black-and-white as just looking at the league table is it?

Confidence, atmosphere and belief are things not quantifiable and they have all deteriorated as the season has progressed. I don't think Garde can take more than a fraction of the blame for that being the case. Add into the mixer the lack of backing he received in the window (i.e. none-existent - Newcastle, Sunderland, Norwich, Bournemouth and Swansea all strengthened heavily) and the further impact that will have on confidence, atmosphere and belief, and it's very harsh to be saying that Garde is not doing a better job than Sherwood - especially given we have got more points!

Also, what's with comparing it to Sherwood last season? We weren't in the absolute mire when Sherwood took over and Sherwood also had this big lad up front called Benteke and this other lad in the middle called Delph who are better than all of our current squad put together (which Sherwood also helped build).

Garde is not blameless, but if you're not seeing as improvement on earlier in the season then I don't know what you've been watching.

I don't think it is helpful comparing.....everyone has their own opinion and won't change it.

however, I thought we were down when Sherwood took over, so we was well and truly in the mire, we did a similar job to Leicester albeit to a lesser degree.

When Benteke left...the team was totally exposed.....irrespective of which manager was in charge.

52 minutes ago, PaulC said:

No thats not right. You can't say theres improvement and the team wouldn't be in this predicament when the team suffer their worst home defeat since 1935

Of course you can.

By your logic if Garde had won every game, and then had Sunday's result, then we still couldn't say there'd been no improvement.

He, or any manager, shouldn't be judged on one game.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't like this using the first ten games under Sherwood this season as the yardstick and setting that as something to judge Gardes time here by. I mean you couldn't set the bar much lower could you.

Garde has had 15 league games, won two, taken 12 points. His record is crap. Better than Sherwoods 4 points in 10 but still crap. We have scored 10 goals in those 15 games and conceded 26 which again is absolutely diabolical. The only positive I can see is that in 15 games we have lost 8 so he has made us harder to beat but on three occasions we have been absolutely annihilated.

In terms of how we play we look at times tighter at the back but going forward we are a non entity. We don't play with any attacking intent and I am not sure what our game plan is in terms of attacking. There is way too much sideways and backwards passing and going absolutely nowhere. In terms of our attacking play I expected more and that he would try something a little out of the box and more radical. The only time I can remember that happening under under him was when we went with Kozak and Gestede up top against Leicester.

I acknowledge he inherited a shit situation but four points from safety with 27 games to go was not a hopeless situation. The change in manager was made in the belief that his predecessor wasn't getting anything like enough out of the squad. For me his first task was to keep us in touch with safety to have any hope of being given significant funds in January. He failed as we found ourselves 11 points from safety at the beginning of January having had a number of favourable fixtures in the run up to it.

I am not writing Garde off by the way. Far from it. I genuinely like the guy but I am just not prepared to give him a free hit over 27 games and judge him against his predecessors record this season, who many fans describe as not even being a manager. I will make my decision on Remi at the end of the season but for what it is worth I doubt very much he will be here come the start of next season either by his own choice or those above him.

For there most post I agree but I never said he deserved a free hit but owing to the situation he inherited and has not been able to tinker with then he deserves a bit more patience than what he is getting from some quarters.

I don't think anyone has ever said he is the second coming (not that you have said anyone has said that, just in general, not pinpointing that to anyone) and I said he has made very obvious mistakes. But he is new to it, been out the game a year or more etc... But I agree with your assessment as much as my own :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Of course you can.

By your logic if Garde had won every game, and then had Sunday's result, then we still couldn't say there'd been no improvement.

He, or any manager, shouldn't be judged on one game.

If he had of won every game, the reaction would be entirely different and we may be looking at realistically staying up.

Sherwood experienced that after the Southampton game, disappointment as opposed to a lynching party.

it is not helpful to go for the manager irrespective who he is while we have such an incomplete team that resemble a patch work quilt.

Managers may have the ultimate responsibility, but they are only as good as the players they have.

Edited by TRO

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

Judging on one game is completely unreasonable, just as judging that the previous 2-0 win absolved all crimes would have been too.  We're currently 13th in the form guide over 6 games, although ironically we're joint on points with Liverpool in 6th.  There's a huge spread of sides on 8 and 7pts (12 in fact).  We are currently competitive, all things being equal.  Sadly not all things are equal and we need to be a lot more than competitive.  We need to be Champions League at this point if we're to get 36pts from 38 games.  Are we staying up?  No.  Have we improved since the days of Sherwood.  Absolutely we have, and no single bad day at the office can change that.  A few more 6-0s and we'll talk, but right now it's an isolated incident after what was a fairly good run of results.

I basically agree with you, but it's more than a bad day at the office...This team is brittle and capable of anything as poor as the Liverpool result even on the back of a confidence boosting 2-0 win....The Sunderland result was poor too.

Confidence drains out of this team at a click of your fingers.

The improvement is marginal and for me , there is no indicator that we are on the road to recovery.

• Like 4

The team was fragile and susceptible to bad results before Garde arrived, it's not something that can be fixed just like that in mid season. As long as there is an overall improvement then that's what counts, the form over the last six games suggests that there has been.

39 minutes ago, BOF said:

Judging on one game is completely unreasonable, just as judging that the previous 2-0 win absolved all crimes would have been too.  We're currently 13th in the form guide over 6 games, although ironically we're joint on points with Liverpool in 6th.  There's a huge spread of sides on 8 and 7pts (12 in fact).  We are currently competitive, all things being equal.  Sadly not all things are equal and we need to be a lot more than competitive.  We need to be Champions League at this point if we're to get 36pts from 38 games.  Are we staying up?  No.  Have we improved since the days of Sherwood.  Absolutely we have, and no single bad day at the office can change that.  A few more 6-0s and we'll talk, but right now it's an isolated incident after what was a fairly good run of results.

Or was that little run of form the isolate incident and performances like sunday the norm, as their have been as many of them as there have been wins !!

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Managers may have the ultimate responsibility, but they are only as good as the players they have.

So how much do we think Garde should get for transfers,and how much do you realistically think Lerner will give him?

This team has a soft underbelly and at the first sign of adversity, capitulates, they haven't got an ounce of fight in them.

They are clearly uncomfortable with the physical side of the game and standing off is their natural tendency.

Much is said about their technical qualities, but they have the ability to stay up but not the will/ mindset/desire to grind out results....They are mentally weak.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

This team has a soft underbelly and at the first sign of adversity, capitulates, they haven't got an ounce of fight in them.

They are clearly uncomfortable with the physical side of the game and standing off is their natural tendency.

Much is said about their technical qualities, but they have the ability to stay up but not the will/ mindset/desire to grind out results....They are mentally weak.

Couldn't agree more. It all seems so obvious, too. But I think Garde should be given at least as much time as Sherwood -- and preferably a lot more -- to sort things out. Not because he's "not Sherwood," but because he's a good, wise manager, and building a team up takes time whilst ripping a team to shreds can happen quickly. If we'll not threatening to get back to the PL by this time next year, get someone else. 

• Like 1

It's far far too easy for some on here to call for blood at the first chance of a struggle. If Garde is given the boot we're heading into a deeper hole than were already in.

Ive said before we need stability and someone to take time to rectify all the problems caused by the last 3-4 appointments. 

He might not have come in and won every game, or gotten us amazing results, but Garde is doing as well as can be expected with a team bereft of confidence, not interested in being here and for the most part given up and focused on their summer transfer already. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

Well what was garde on course to get after 10/11 games?

28 if you extrapolate Garde's first 11 games over the course of a whole season.

At the moment his record is the equivalent of 30 points over the course of a whole season, including Sunday's result.

Edited by Stevo985

There is quite a coverage of Villa's plight in to nights Birmingham Mail.

no less than 7 pages of comments from fans and ex players

• Brian Little
  • Paul Mcgrath
  • Stan collymore
  • Denis Mortimer
  • Howard Hodgson (fan)
  • Ian Taylor

During Stans damning report he touches on the Policy of "FIFA like stats "that are attracting the club to players during recruitment and scoffs at the seeming like dismissive consideration to their character.

Denis Mortimer touches on "if you get the wrong manager, you get the wrong players"

perhaps some basic stuff, but it seems that the basics allude us.

25 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Couldn't agree more. It all seems so obvious, too. But I think Garde should be given at least as much time as Sherwood -- and preferably a lot more -- to sort things out. Not because he's "not Sherwood," but because he's a good, wise manager, and building a team up takes time whilst ripping a team to shreds can happen quickly. If we'll not threatening to get back to the PL by this time next year, get someone else. 

We are missing the very basics of English football.....all the "John Bull" stuff is no longer at our club.

For certain a sure footed striker that can create uncertainty in the opposition would be a massive help.....We cannot continue with forwards who just promise goals but don't deliver....it drains everyone.

We need a midfield who can mix it as well as create......and a back four who understand the meaning of synchronisation and work for each other to keep their shape.

A new commanding  keeper who is miserly, wouldn't go amiss too.

I just hope when we do go back to market.....we start getting it right.

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

During Stans damning report he touches on the Policy of "FIFA like stats "that are attracting the club to players during recruitment and scoffs at the seeming like dismissive consideration to their character.

I'm losing more and more respect for Collymore.

He's talking absolute shite these days.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is quite a coverage of Villa's plight in to nights Birmingham Mail.

no less than 7 pages of comments from fans and ex players

• Brian Little
  • Paul Mcgrath
  • Stan collymore
  • Denis Mortimer
  • Howard Hodgson (fan)
  • Ian Taylor

Denis Mortimer touches on "if you get the wrong manager, you get the wrong players"

perhaps some basic stuff, but it seems that the basics allude us.

Stans a prat! The signings have been our better players and are all looking better than what we had. The squad is majorly unbalanced. We bought players without filling the areas that needed looking at or buying the sufficient quality to get goals. Collymore will stick up for Lescott but hammer Okore and makes everything about him. He is anti the club cause he lost his column. The blame for our predicament is solely on the board though and their recruitment policy but it's not to do with quality it's the filling out of the squad. The positions Garde was trying to address in January are the same we needed dealing with in the summer. Whoever came in would have the same problem. Garde has been stuffed and so have us the fans. 

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â