The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Why is Tim Sherwood even being discussed, he is only a short termist manager, someone who can come in and inject some enthusiasm into an ailing squad and get a short burst of decent performances. Beyond that He has nothing of substance in terms of tactical and managerial ability to back up that enthusiasm on a long term basis, which is why we are in this mess now. We basically gave a manager with no experience of building a squad, the proceeds of one of our biggest transfer receipts in history to piss up the wall on a mish-mash of a squad.

Sherwood is like a elastoplast plaster, ok to patch up for the short term, however we are in need of some serious surgery here, and an elastoplast is not going to help us. Whether Remi is the man to perform the surgery I do not know. I had hoped we would see better results than we have achieved when he came in, but I do understand that his hands are tied by having to pick up a broken squad left behind by the previous two managers, and with no backing from the board when he needed it in January. My gut feeling is that he is trying to instil a solid foundation to move forward. but without knowing the inner workings of the training ground it is just guess work. If the players he has been left with are simply not here for the team, or not good enough then his job is twice as tough.

We have just taken a whooping, so our frustrations and pain are still very close to the surface, I think what makes matters worse is that a little bit of hope had crept back in after beating Norwich last week and having had a run of unbeaten games in the PL. A lot will become clearer in the coming weeks, if Remi can get a positive reaction from this lot then maybe he can take us forward, if this is the start of a total capitulation then I guess we will be going seperate ways in the summer, and Randy and Co have claimed another managerial victim.

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Not exactly. We were bottom and 4 points adrift and now we're bottom and 8 points adrift. 

In Garde's 16 premier league matches with Villa he has lost ground against all our rivals - none of whom are anything to write home about - and Villa have the worst record over that period of any club in the premier league.

Here's how he has done compared with other bottom 6 clubs since he joined:

Bnmth W5 D5 L6 18F-A22 Pts20
Ncstle W5 D3 L8 15F-A27 Pts18
Sland W5 D2 L9 21F-A31 Pts17
Nrwch W4 D3 L9 16F-A31 Pts15
Swsea W3 D5 L8 12F-A22 Pts14
A Villa W2 D6 L8 11F-A29 Pts12

You can perhaps understand why some people are not over the moon about his regime so far and wonder if we are really any better off than we would have been had Sherwood stayed.

12 points spending zero 

How many of the points Newcastle / Sunderland and Bournemouth have are as a direct result of purchasing in Jan. Off top of my head Sunderland got 3 points at the weekend from goals and assist from 2 players they spent £13mil on.Bournemouth have gotten points thanks to Afobe's goals.

1 hour ago, sexbelowsound said:

Expectations? No, It was just insulting to teachers and showed you know nothing about the profession.

Why is it insulting? A different skill set is required to teach at different levels of education. If you don't have that skill set you are going to struggle at that level.

I didn't insinuate secondary school teachers are superior to primary school teachers. 

I think you're being overly critical.

The problem I foresee now, is with Garde's future less than certain, it will spread uncertainty around the squad.

I think the likes of Veretout, Traore, Gil and Amavi will stay next year if Remi does.

I suspect most of the seasoned internationals in the squad will leave, unfortunately that includes Ayew, Gana, Okore etc. Who could be useful to us but are expensive.

Lyden and Grealish will stay regardless I think.

But my point is, there is a basis for a good young team here. And I think it partly lies in whether Garde stays at the end of the season.

If he goes, can you imagine another manager or similar calibre or repute? I don't want an experienced Championship clogger and I don't think we need one. I think we need to build something fresh and I feel Garde can help us do that.

Its just down to the board to convince him they will back his judgement in the transfer market I guess and not leave him high and dry in the summer.

On 15. Februar 2016 at 11:56, Demitri_C said:

If thats the case then if Remi walks he should be our number one priority. Look at what he has done for blose and they were probabaly as bad as us

That would really confuse RL.

"Hey customers, you didnt want the last BCFC manager I appointed, why do you want this one?"

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I can't believe people are legit trying to argue for Sherwood. The man was an absolute farce; a charlatan. No twisting of stats or facts can prove otherwise. 

I dont think anybody has argued that he would be better its just that Garde is not an improvement so far

17 hours ago, penguin said:

Just because it's an opinion you don't agree with doesn't mean it's only being said "for effect". You're right there is nothing wrong with building up possession for attack, but aimlessly keeping the ball coupled with a snails pace tempo so the opponent always has loads of time to get players back is negative. As is the fact we never get players in the box which is on-going problem, suggesting a tactical instruction, and is picked up by commentators in almost every game. There is obviously more to a play style than just a formation.

Sure it's being said for effect.

The narrative goes that Sherwood plays "positively" whilst Garde plays "negatively".  The media bang on about it and a large proportion of our fans do too.  However, unless Garde is actively telling Gil/Veretout et all not to get in the box (as I said before), there's just nothing to suggest he's negative at all.

I'm fairly sure under Sherwood this season, we didn't see one goal from inside the box by anyone other than a striker.  So positive.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think anybody has argued that he would be better its just that Garde is not an improvement so far

Well that is no surprise considering there has been no improvement to the squad under Garde. 

I think any manger coming in with the circumstances we were in and then not being backed in the transfer window was going to be on a hiding to nothing. 

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes he is.

the game on sunday was the most gutless and idiotic display by any Villa team ever including the Southampton, cup final or even 0-8 at Chelsea

he should have been sacked straight after the game like MON and Lambert should have been after Chelsea debacles

Just now, Zatman said:

the game on sunday was the most gutless and idiotic display by any Villa team ever including the Southampton, cup final or even 0-8 at Chelsea

he should have been sacked straight after the game like MON and Lambert should have been after Chelsea debacles

So the manager told them "go out there and be gutless", right?

Ridiculous post and, thankfully, not the route the club took.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Baby and bathwater come to mind.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

So the manager told them "go out there and be gutless", right?

Ridiculous post and, thankfully, not the route the club took.

well he didnt **** inspire the players to not be gutless which is his job

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Don't know how you can say he 'is not an improvement so far' when the stats prove otherwise. The Liverpool result was humiliating but most of us did not expect a win. Up till that point we were clawing our way back, albeit very slowly and were 11th in the form guide. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â