The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I like many of us wish Remi well and really want him to be a success, someone said that he's probably a better manager when things are going well and i kind of understand these sentiments, however do i think that Remi can lead us straight back up again? no is the honest answer in my opinion. The championship is a horrible hurly burly marathon of a division and i just don't see Remi being able to make his mark in it, so yes  with some regret for Remi, i think Pearson should come in for next season.

I cant agree mate. I think Pearson is an utterly horrible character, he is possible the last  person i would want in a situation such as ours.

I there is a good reason he is still out of work.

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I still have faith in Garde, I think he will sort us out in the long term whatever happens this season. It would be absolute bonkers to ditch him for Pearson or Mick McCarthy, but Lerner has made similar decisions in the past (e.g. Ged for McLeish). Keep the faith.

I really understand what you say and  i'm not into sacking people for the sake of it, however as much as i really don't like saying this i am just nor certain Remi is the man to bring us straight back up, however i would love to be proved wrong by him and i will support him, if he is around next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

It matters not who the manager is to be honest 

I get what you're saying - whoever takes on the poison chalice, be it Barry Fry or Jose Mourinho would still be hamstrung by the absent, inept and clueless board installed by Lerner.

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

I cant agree mate. I think Pearson is an utterly horrible character, he is possible the last  person i would want in a situation such as ours.

I there is a good reason he is still out of work.

Do you know what; i actually agree with you about his character and you make a valid point, however purely going  on a footballing basis i would back him to bring us straight back up. Would i want his autograph or share a beer with him? hell no. 

2 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Do you know what; i actually agree with you about his character and you make a valid point, however purely going  on a footballing basis i would back him to bring us straight back up. Would i want his autograph or share a beer with him? hell no. 

To be perfectly honest mate i have not seen enough of his teams to form an opinion of him as a football manager, rightly or wrongly i am basing my opinion purely on his unsavoury character, which is one reason some would probably like to see him here. I just think that the club at the moment need a very specific personality at the helm, we are such a shambles that a hot headed manager like Pearson could prove problematic, relegation will mean big changes, and  i think a cool composed figure is much better suited to the current role.

Its so difficult to judge Garde as a manager at the moment that i am probably basing much of my opinion of him on the grounds that i like the bloke, now football is all about winning and next year he may prove to not be a very good manager, but at the moment i think he is a good choice.

I still do t understand those who would give Garde a free pass until next season. Still say he has to earn it, and still say he hasn't yet.

He's done OK, and sorted some things, while others have improved a little?e.

But then today for example, he takes a wrecking ball to the ( relatively speaking) more solid back 5 it looks weeks to settle on, and look at the result.

I know its just the Cup, and a game onTuesday, but, nah, for me. Big error . And really, the rest of the performance wasn't so different to the last few games. So I'd rather have had a tired Lescott and Okore, and Bunn, who must be worn out after, what, 5 games ?

Secondly, he did nothing, that I could see, to try and influence the game. Westy off, presumably injured, but another defender on. Their keeper clearly weak, yet less pressure on him second half than first.

So a minus for him today, hopefully fully justified by a win in a couple of days.

I think it is going to depend on if the board will back him at all over the summer, or more likely hack at the wage bill and sell any player who attracts interest. If that occurs, I could see Garde walking, or running, to the nearest exit before his management career gets ruined by us.

The mess we are in is about 60% due to the board, 30% due to Sherwood, and about 10% due to Garde.

I was a critic of Garde until very recently but I've shut up in recent times as the last three league games have been what I've wanted to see from us since September.

Yes we're still going down but he has at least got us defensively organized and we have a bit of spirt and composure. It's not going to be enough but it's a start.

And he must be the only manager in our history who hasn't been backed with at least some degree of cash in the weeks after being installed. 

I can't quite believe how the club expect him to keep us up when we don't spend anything. O.k they probably don't but to not even try, deary me.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I was a critic of Garde until very recently but I've shut up in recent times as the last three league games have been what I've wanted to see from us since September.

Yes we're still going down but he has at least got us defensively organized and we have a bit of spirt and composure. It's not going to be enough but it's a start.

And he must be the only manager in our history who hasn't been backed with at least some degree of cash in the weeks after being installed. 

I can't quite believe how the club expect him to keep us up when we don't spend anything. O.k they probably don't but to not even try, deary me.

I don't think we have a mission statement that makes any reference to staying up, or coming back up.

If the reality of what I suspect Lerner has appointed Hollis for was ever made clear I'm not sure anyone would continue to go to the games.  We can assume Garde knows that.  In fact we do know for certain Hollis is happy for Garde to stay when we get relegated, so we must assume his targets, as set by Hollis, are not performance related (not football performance anyway).

21 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

You know this for a fact do you?

You think remi is not even trying to sign anyone?

We're not dealing with tim sherwood here, this guy is slightly more intelligent.

I would guess, like you are guessing, that he only wants players he knows will improve us, not bodies in shirts.

Sherwood was a mile wide but an inch deep...like his squad, i'll 'guess' remi ain't 

Just now, RimmyJimmer said:

You know this for a fact do you?

You think remi is not even trying to sign anyone?

We're not dealing with tim sherwood here, this guy is slightly more intelligent.

I would guess, like you are guessing, that he only wants players he knows will improve us, not bodies in shirts.

Sherwood was a mile wide but an inch deep...like his squad, i'll 'guess' remi ain't 

It's 30th January - do you really believe that we are just waiting for the right players to come up ?  Has nobody bought players you think might have helped us ?

I don't think the OP was saying Remi isn't trying, I think he was saying Remi is not being backed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I don't think we have a mission statement that makes any reference to staying up, or coming back up.

If the reality of what I suspect Lerner has appointed Hollis for was ever made clear I'm not sure anyone would continue to go to the games.  We can assume Garde knows that.  In fact we do know for certain Hollis is happy for Garde to stay when we get relegated, so we must assume his targets, as set by Hollis, are not performance related (not football performance anyway).

Ha ha do you pluck this stuff out of thin air?? 

:D

1 minute ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Ha ha do you pluck this stuff out of thin air?? 

:D

Sorry I have no idea what part of my Post you think was plucked out of thin air ? I think Hollis is here to cut costs, whilst you might not agree it surely isn't the most whacky possibility you've ever heard ?

And Hollis has said Garde stays, so you can't mean that bit. And if he is staying, regardless of results, then the targets given to him by Hollis can't be results based can they ?

So really don't get your bafflement, but I'm certain Lerner hopes you aren't the only one ..

1 minute ago, terrytini said:

Sorry I have no idea what part of my Post you think was plucked out of thin air ? I think Hollis is here to cut costs, whilst you might not agree it surely isn't the most whacky possibility you've ever heard ?

And Hollis has said Garde stays, so you can't mean that bit. And if he is staying, regardless of results, then the targets given to him by Hollis can't be results based can they ?

So really don't get your bafflement, but I'm certain Lerner hopes you aren't the only one ..

Anyone employed in this position is hired to control costs, in any business in any country.

Targets given to remi can't be results based??....how do you know the targets being given to him, if any?

You're assuming an awful lot on very little fact.

Mission statement???...ha ha I'm oot!!

19 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Anyone employed in this position is hired to control costs, in any business in any country.

Targets given to remi can't be results based??....how do you know the targets being given to him, if any?

You're assuming an awful lot on very little fact.

Mission statement???...ha ha I'm oot!!

One thing is for sure. Hollis has no idea how to control costs and make this football club successful in the short term. He would be great cutting costs and running a retail business. But yet again Lerner has employed someone who has no idea of running a football club. He should listen to Remi.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

One thing is for sure. Hollis has no idea how to control costs and make this football club successful in the short term. He would be great cutting costs and running a retail business. But yet again Lerner has employed someone who has no idea of running a football club. He should listen to Remi.

Oh i agree, this hollis bloke looks like another poor appointment in a long list by RL.

It just depends how much say/control he has over football matters. I just hope that remi is the type of bloke who stands up for what he wants and who he wants. I think he will

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Of course costs will be cut. The club has lived off tv money for years whilst only being able to increase other revenues by 14% in 11 years. The club still runs at a loss and the TV money decreases by £55m next season. Can't think why anybody would be planning cuts........

When Garde arrived at the club he said that he would be signing the players he wants. Fox said at the AGM that the manager was struggling to find players with the value needed to help us.

I don't know if that means he can pick his own players or not. Maybe he can but with a specified budget which is too low for him to get the value (quality?) he feels we need. Who knows? 

I would not be surprised if Garde walks out on the club before the start of next season. His career is young in management and surely he would want to protect himself from damaging it before it's really even got going?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â