The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

Be interesting to see how he approaches games from now on. Bar a miracle we are down now. We have to win games. Playing for draws or to contain teams is a waste of time.
For me we have been way too cautious in games under him and started way too slowly and gone out with the attitude of standing off teams, containing them and not pressing teams. Today we never had a go until the game was lost, we started on the back foot against Everton and were 3-0 down by half time and lets be honest we could have been 3 down in the first half against Southampton.

The least you expect under a new manager is an increased desire and players breaking their balls to impress him and giving their all but for me we haven't seen that. In fact as I said earlier I am struggling to see any improvement in any aspect of our play. We are still poor defensively despite playing more cautiously, we still create very little, we don't score many goals, and we struggle to retain possession. Which perhaps all just re emphasis how poor a squad this is and that regardless of who is manager that will remain the case.

The very least I want to see now though is us have a go. Set up to attack teams and go out with high intensity and really go out teams from the first whistle. We have nothing to lose.

I don't think we were cautious against Watford. We took the game to them and were undone by defensive errors and bad luck, and also against a team that have shown they are very solid away from home (something we are striving for). I expect us to go for it in the next few games, but we will struggle if we continue with Sanchez, Veretout and Gana as a midfield 3, as there isn't enough creativity there. Only one of Sanchez and Gana can play.

Our main problem on an individual game basis is that our confidence is so fragile that we must score first to have a chance on winning. We could never do what Newcastle did today and come out in the second half and turn a game around.

But, it only takes a couple of results to build confidence. We desperately need a scrappy win or a smash-and-grab win to build from - that could easily have been City, Southampton or Watford. Against Everton and Arsenal we were very poor.

11 minutes ago, GeordieVillan said:

we will struggle if we continue with Sanchez, Veretout and Gana as a midfield 3, as there isn't enough creativity there. Only one of Sanchez and Gana can play.

I agree. Today I was was disappointed that at 2-0 down with half hour to go we bring on Grealish but take off Gestede putting Ayew up front and keeping exactly the same formation. That wasn't a positive change as we didn't change to a more attacking formation. In fact it stifled us as Ayew was totally ineffective as the focal point having had some influence when he was out wide. Bringing Traore on with five minutes to go was pointless. Give the lad at least half an hour and get him to really go at them and put them on the back foot. At 2-0 down we had nothing to lose. In fact we have nothing to lose full stop now.

Edited by markavfc40

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Awful today and am losing faith in him, 2nd half Arsenal were daydreaming and didnt bother put on Traore until last 4 minutes

Worse than Tim so far and he better get it together or he be gone by Christmas

Ridiculous. What possible good can come of spending what, north of £5m on sacking a manager who has been in place for half a dozen games, after being given a 3.5 year contract?

We'll see how things are at the end of the year. If we're still not picking up points then you have to start worrying about him. We've got as winnable of games as we're ever going to have this season. If we can't win some of these, I'm worried about this guy trying to bring us back up.

Utter nonsense to judge him until next season IMO (or to be honest at any point where Lerner is still around).

I can't see that he is doing anything wrong. I don't particularly disagree with any of his lineups or selections or what he says or does. The players are just completely dreadful and the club is destroyed.

• Like 3

Utter nonsense to judge him until next season IMO (or to be honest at any point where Lerner is still around).

I can't see that he is doing anything wrong. I don't particularly disagree with any of his lineups or selections or what he says or does. The players are just completely dreadful and the club is destroyed.

Personally I'm not "judging" him. Certainly not with any finality. Only that I'm disappointed that that whatever he is doing is not transferring into results or even performances on the pitch. If anything, we're getting worse. The only difference being at least he has shown *some* semblance of a plan A.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

We'll see how things are at the end of the year. If we're still not picking up points then you have to start worrying about him.

That's just under three weeks away.  You can start to worry, and rightly, but surely you're not implying that he might be in danger of being ditched after about two months in charge?

1 minute ago, deck said:

That's just under three weeks away.  You can start to worry, and rightly, but surely you're not implying that he might be in danger of being ditched after about two months in charge?

I didn't really imply anything. I said that I'd be worried about him as in I personally will have formed the opinion that he's just not very good. I think there's pretty much 0% chance he loses his job this season, no matter what happens.

I don't think Garde knows how to get us in shape to fight against relegation.

I was watching the Newcastle game today and was impressed at how McLaren managed to get a team who had been playing quite woefully in the first half to start playing progressive, accurate, attacking football that led to them winning.

Garde clearly tried to get us to turn things round in the second half but for all the extra effort, he never really got  playing them effectively in front of goal and we continued to look a bit like a powder puff team.

I just don't think he has the experience and battle-hardened approach needed to get us out of this, whereas it looks as if McLaren does. 

5 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I didn't really imply anything. I said that I'd be worried about him as in I personally will have formed the opinion that he's just not very good.

Fair enough. I think Zatman's reply quoted just above yours about being "gone by Christmas" if he doesn't start turning it around made me conflate.

I'd probably have Jack in for Gabby there, but otherwise I agree. I fully expect to see the same lineup for the next few weeks though with the exception of Richards in for Lescott. Because why would you change what isn't working?

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I don't think Garde knows how to get us in shape to fight against relegation.

I'll always caveat at this stage with "its too early to say"

But if he can't inspire any fight out of relegation with this team, then we'll bomb in the championship.  Our choice of players will be even worse than now, and the whole season will be like a relegation battle.  Gutless displays will get smashed down there

My only major concern at this point is that I expected him to give us some defensive structure, but we've looked just as hopeless. In some games, and during some periods of games, we look OK, but one mistake and then it is heads down and we become a shambles. That could be down to individual error and bad character among the squad, but it should be the job of the coach to limit the possibility of those mistakes costing games because every player makes mistakes, but not all teams lose games because of them, especially week after week.

16 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd probably have Jack in for Gabby there, but otherwise I agree. I fully expect to see the same lineup for the next few weeks though with the exception of Richards in for Lescott. Because why would you change what isn't working?

Gabby is definitely better than Gestede at this point ffs.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â