Johan Cruyff diagnosed with lung cancer

dAVe80

Sad news. He famously smoked during his playing days, so maybe not unexpected.

From the BBC

Johan Cruyff: Netherlands great diagnosed with lung cancer

Netherlands great Johan Cruyff has been diagnosed with lung cancer, a spokeswoman has confirmed.
The 68-year-old former Ajax player was told of his illness this week after undergoing tests.
Cruyff, a three-time Ballon d'Or winner, helped his country reach the World Cup final in 1974, where they lost to West Germany.
He also won three consecutive European Cups with Ajax and went on to play and manage at Barcelona.
While in charge at the Spanish club, he led them to their first European Cup win in 1992 and the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1989.
They also won four consecutive La Liga titles from 1990-91 to 1993-94.
Widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, Cruyff had a double heart bypass surgery in 1991.
Having been a smoker, he gave up immediately after the operation and took to sucking lollipops in the dugout.
He featured in a Catalan health department advert, saying: "Football has given me everything in life, tobacco almost took it all away."
His last managerial appointment came at the Catalonia national team, where he was in charge from 2009 to 2013.

Any of the older members recall the standing ovation he received, when he was subbed off at Villa Park? I recall my Dad telling me about it. Anyone have any particular memories of that game?

Any of the older members recall the standing ovation he received, when he was subbed off at Villa Park? I recall my Dad telling me about it. Anyone have any particular memories of that game?

You mean the 2-2 draw with Barça in 1978? Yep, I was there, best atmosphere I've ever experienced at VP.

• Like 2

I've actually found a video of the goals, and the said standing ovation. Not the best quality, but you get the idea. Must have been special to see Cruyff and Barca at Villa Park? 

• Like 3

Over the years we have had some of the greatest players ever play at Villa Park. Pele in 74 in front of an estimated 54,000 for a friendly. I believe thousands were locked out. Cruyff in 78. Platini and Paulo Rossi in 82/83:  a Juventus side that had 9 of the Italy world cup winning team. I think the best team I've ever watched at Villa Park. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 3

Sad news, especially since he quit so long ago. Makes me fearful about my own 15 year habit which I kicked over 10 years ago.

It's a brutal way to die as well, I watched my father die from it.

Slight hope that maybe they caught it at a very early stage? 

Over the years we have had some of the greatest players ever play at Villa Park. Pele in 74 in front of an estimated 54,000 for a friendly. I believe thousands were locked out. Cruyff in 78. Platini and Paulo Rossi in 82/83:  a Juventus side that had 9 of the Italy world cup winning team. I think the best team I've ever watched at Villa Park. 

I always thought this performance by Ronaldo was one of the best vs Villa, think this was game Scholes got a wondergoal as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEFznuoJTVo

Sad news, especially since he quit so long ago. Makes me fearful about my own 15 year habit which I kicked over 10 years ago.

Sorry I brought that up. I'm glad you kicked the habit. . I've known a few people die from it. Its horrible. 

was going to say he was a famous chain smoker when he was younger though he hasnt smoked for 24 years so maybe not much of a connection to it. sad news to hear anyway

I don't think they've said whether or not it was primary lung cancer. Could have metastasized to lungs.

Like maqroll, I quit almost 15 years ago --  but I smoked like a chimney before then, for 18 years.

So ... I value every day as a gift.

Edited by Plastic Man

Sorry I brought that up. I'm glad you kicked the habit. . I've known a few people die from it. Its horrible. 

No worries, Paul, it's a good thing to talk about the dangers of smoking, even though it's a nasty topic.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

The only bit of skill every parks player has tried to imitate The Cruyff Turn! Before my time as a player but it's his philosophy that you see at Barca today simply put a Football Legend.  RIP

• Like 1

RIP.

When I was growing up it was always Cruyff and Puskas generally regarded as the players next in line behind Pele and Maradona as the greatest who ever lived.  I suppose Messi and C.Ronaldo have moved those goalposts now slightly, but it's poignant to think that Messi is now thriving in what is the closest modern interpretation of Cruyff's philosophy of football.  His legacy lives on.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â