Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Didn't the club change it's mind about hiring Steve McClaren because it was badly received by the fans?

Supposedly. That had the advantage of happening at 'season ticket renewal time' which is the one time of the year when fans do have some sway. 

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Its funny but a few seasons back Lowton delph and Benteke (few quid more but relative peanuts) would have been on some other fans similar lists.  It happens to us too.

It does and as some point out, there are always the perfect examples....yes there are ,but they are tangible.

My point is.......its the ratio's of good v bad  signings is what is disturbing.....It has to change we have to find a way of getting more hits than misses.....If its sackings so be it.

We have simply signed too many duds (and in some cases for decent money) and let go of players we should have kept.

That has drained everyone including the owner.

Its been incompetence boxed up with a bow ribbon around it.

The Recruitment of players needs an overhaul.

One single format will not get us back to decency.....It has to be gems/Academy/ and trophy signings etc a broad church of activities.

The academy needs to be reassessed, the scouting network needs to have some strategy and success and the board ( despite the setbacks with so many duds) need to realise that money is still required to progress.....They cannot say due to the amount of duds and subsequently financial drain....we are not doing that....its a must.

In my view this is the area of priority for our future.....so many other problems will dissipate when the success on the field surfaces again.

from the board.......ACTION not words.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Supposedly. That had the advantage of happening at 'season ticket renewal time' which is the one time of the year when fans do have some sway. 

I still wouldn't fancy him in the role.

Just to add to the Benteke topic. I live in Liverpool and I heard some of the lecturers talking (one is a Villa fan and the other does some work for Liverpool FC) and apparently Benteke would like a loan move to Villa to help build some form before the Euros and also help Villa out too. Only problem is Liverpool would need a replacement as they are very short up front.

Edited by guyavfc

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Its funny but a few seasons back Lowton delph and Benteke (few quid more but relative peanuts) would have been on some other fans similar lists.  It happens to us too.

but not nearly enough.

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Didn't the club change it's mind about hiring Steve McClaren because it was badly received by the fans?

Ha! I wonder where we'd be if the club had stuck to their guns. I don't mind Schteve at all. I'd have taken him over McLeish any day of the year.

Just now, lexicon said:

Benteke back, even for a short time, would be awesome. 

------------Gana---------------Westwood------------

Ayew---------------Veretout------------------------Gil

----------------------Tekkers----------------------------

Fine with me.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

It does and as some point out, there are always the perfect examples....yes there are ,but they are tangible.

My point is.......its the ratio's of good v bad  signings is what is disturbing.....It has to change we have to find a way of getting more hits than misses.....If its sackings so be it.

We have simply signed too many duds (and in some cases for decent money) and let go of players we should have kept.

That has drained everyone including the owner.

Its been incompetence boxed up with a bow ribbon around it.

The Recruitment of players needs an overhaul.

One single format will not get us back to decency.....It has to be gems/Academy/ and trophy signings etc a broad church of activities.

The academy needs to be reassessed, the scouting network needs to have some strategy and success and the board ( despite the setbacks with so many duds) need to realise that money is still required to progress.....They cannot say due to the amount of duds and subsequently financial drain....we are not doing that....its a must.

In my view this is the area of priority for our future.....so many other problems will dissipate when the success on the field surfaces again.

from the board.......ACTION not words.

In general you get what you pay for! When Lambert spent decent money money he got decent players. This summer when we've spent good money we've got mainly good players. There's only Gestede who cost a bit who's crap IMO and that was a Sherwood pick! I'm still baffled as to what scout watched him for a few games and never listed his weaknesses!! A lot of your points were addressed at that AGM but got sidelined as people jumped on the negatives but as you sat actions speak louder than words!! It's hard to bring academy players into a relegation threatened side and that has hurt us for the last 5 years when we did have a decent crop coming through from the next gen win. 

12 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Pity we didn't have someone on our board like Darragh McAnthony (Peterborough owner) who can identify good up and coming talent.

A massive football fan and watches non-league games to identify up and coming talent that has possibly been released by bigger clubs and over the years has spotted likes of: Dwight Gayle (signed for 500k sold for £6million around 6 months later) Conor Washington (bought for 500k and just sold to QPR for £3million) Britt Assombalonga (bought for £1.5million from Watford sold for around £6million to Forest a year later) plus many other players such as Craig Mackail-Smith.

Good article here:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/revealed-the-secrets-of-the-posh-scouting-system-1-6373242

Listened to him on Talk Sport....very impressed, very articulate and confident speaker.

• Like 2

I would love the beast back on loan. I'm not that optimistic though.

I think it would be a firm fan favourite though. After a disappointing window so far, Benteke back on loan would bring some optimism.

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

Ha! I wonder where we'd be if the club had stuck to their guns. I don't mind Schteve at all. I'd have taken him over McLeish any day of the year.

I think if the fanbase had realised McLeish would have been the next choice, everyone would have kept their mouths shut :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Absolutely this.

I've no idea if he can cut it at this level, but that in itself is worth the gamble to us. He's proven at the level we are likely to playing at next season.

I would happily give them say £10m and Gestede. Over the odds of course, but it's January. It is what it is.

We may even get a better deal than that. Aren't they still under embargo and can't spend money?? I've not watched him so I've no idea what he's like but his record is very good. 

2 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

We may even get a better deal than that. Aren't they still under embargo and can't spend money?? I've not watched him so I've no idea what he's like but his record is very good. 

Could also mean they'll not let anyone go if they can't replace them. We'd probably have to pay well over the odds to make them sell.

Just to add to the Benteke topic. I live in Liverpool and I heard some of the lecturers talking (one is a Villa fan and the other does some work for Liverpool FC) and apparently Benteke would like a loan move to Villa to help build some form before the Euros and also help Villa out too. Only problem is Liverpool would need a replacement as they are very short up front.

Benteke would = safety. For that reason it won't happen, the football gods hate me.