Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

Gestede's not good enough for us to building our team and style of play around. If we go down, I think we have to start as mean to go on, by which I mean implement a style of play that will get us out of the division and once ingrained into the players, help us stay in the Premier, once back there. And that style of play would be one where we actually play football rather than just hoofing it Gestede.

I completely agree. There is absolutely no way that Garde will or should change his philosophy, nor does he need to. Most Championship pitches are up to Premier League standard, like playing on carpet. Most good Championship teams play "decent" football.

That isn't to say there isn't a place for a player like Gestede, but in truth we don't really know what kind of striker Garde would prefer, he hasn't signed a single player yet.

I suspect he would like a 2 up top it would certainly suit our style of play. Where Ayew and Gil would both fit into that I'm not sure, because he clearly likes Gil a lot. Gil and Veretout either side of a diamond is a bit powderpuff, we wouldn't be seeing much overlapping from the full backs.

As I alluded to I think we still know more when he is allowed to sign his own players.

Still think Jordan Rhodes is the answer. Excellent Championship record. 21 goals in 45 games last season and 8 goals in 12 games so far this season. In fact he's scored more than 20 league goals a season since he's been at Blackburn.

In terms of total league goals he has 73 in 124 for Huddersfield and 81 in 146 for Blackburn.

Obviously it will mean spending money but I don't see how we wouldn't be in a good starting position for next season if we signed him now. Maybe give Blackburn Gestede back in part-exchange.

Absolutely this.

I've no idea if he can cut it at this level, but that in itself is worth the gamble to us. He's proven at the level we are likely to playing at next season.

I would happily give them say £10m and Gestede. Over the odds of course, but it's January. It is what it is.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

To be honest it's a good tactic by the club to target players with no chance of getting a work permit. That way they can say "we tried".

Just the cynic in me at work.

I never understand these posts. What benefit is it to the club to say 'we tried'? What purpose does it serve? 

11 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Absolutely this.

I've no idea if he can cut it at this level, but that in itself is worth the gamble to us. He's proven at the level we are likely to playing at next season.

I would happily give them say £10m and Gestede. Over the odds of course, but it's January. It is what it is.

I think offering rudy plus 5m would be a great deal for us. rudy has been a massive disappointment for me. I still think he can cut in the championship though

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I never understand these posts. What benefit is it to the club to say 'we tried'? What purpose does it serve? 

Some people build their lives around finding reasons/excuses for why they fail.

17 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Still think Jordan Rhodes is the answer. Excellent Championship record. 21 goals in 45 games last season and 8 goals in 12 games so far this season. In fact he's scored more than 20 league goals a season since he's been at Blackburn.

In terms of total league goals he has 73 in 124 for Huddersfield and 81 in 146 for Blackburn.

Obviously it will mean spending money but I don't see how we wouldn't be in a good starting position for next season if we signed him now. Maybe give Blackburn Gestede back in part-exchange.

I spot a little flaw in your plan ;)

Agree with the post though. 

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think offering rudy plus 5m would be a great deal for us. rudy has been a massive disappointment for me. I still think he can cut in the championship though

Not a great deal for them though. They wouldn't accept that imo. They'd want at least 8m.

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's purpose would be to make it seem like we did all we could but due to reasons out of our control it didn't work out.

Bidding for a player that is not interested or can't get a permit makes look like we worked hard, but since it will never happen it means we won't have to spend money. But can still save face.

A cynics way of looking at things. I for one firmly believe that the Clint Dempsey story a few years back falls into this category 

To be honest it's a good tactic by the club to target players with no chance of getting a work permit. That way they can say "we tried".

Just the cynic in me at work.

Not that I think it's the case in this instance but it's the old Doug tactic to try and placate the fans.

2 minutes ago, gharperr said:

Ask the west ham owners. Dont they do that type of thing every window?

I was just about to post this. Sullivan is renowned for it. 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Didn't Rudy score a bagfull along side Rhodes last season. Surely it would be better to offer them Kozak given that it was Lambert who brought him here? Clearly he sees something in him.

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Didn't Rudy score a bagfull along side Rhodes last season. Surely it would be better to offer them Kozak given that it was Lambert who brought him here? Clearly he sees something in him.

I think you have a point Rudy and Rhodes would be a real handful for most championship sides.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I think you have a point Rudy and Rhodes would be a real handful for most championship sides.

41 goals between them last season. Rhodes would be a great signing here and would surely fit the way the team is currently set up. With Gil and Ayew vying for the spot just behind them. 

15 minutes ago, sne said:

It's purpose would be to make it seem like we did all we could but due to reasons out of our control it didn't work out.

Bidding for a player that is not interested or can't get a permit makes look like we worked hard, but since it will never happen it means we won't have to spend money. But can still save face.

A cynics way of looking at things. I for one firmly believe that the Clint Dempsey story a few years back falls into this category 

I still don't understand why 'seeming like we did all we could' is so important. It didn't 'seem like we did all we could' when we signed Sylla and Dawkins in a transfer window. The club didn't suffer, nobody ripped up their season tickets, everyone got over it. 

I just don't think the club could give a shit about 'seeming like they did all they could' for the benefit of the fans. 

• Like 1

Remy still desperate for a loan move apparently, So hope we can get him.

In other news it looks like Gervinho is going to China. Would not mind him on loan for the rest of the season.

If nothing else for his epic high hairline, although he did have one really good short spell of form at Roma. Not consistent thou

If we have the sort of money required for Rhodes (which I doubt) I'd rather go all out for Andre Gray. We were linked with him a couple of months ago. 

Mirror story from November

Burnley hotshot Andre Gray is a wanted man again – after just three months at Turf Moor.

Everton and Aston Villa are monitoring striker Gray following his blistering start to his Clarets career.

Meanwhile West Ham are also continuing to keep tabs on the 24 year-old, having considered a move for Gray before he joined Burnley from Brentford.

Gray has scored nine times in just 12 starts for Sean Dyche’s side this season

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

I still don't understand why 'seeming like we did all we could' is so important. It didn't 'seem like we did all we could' when we signed Sylla and Dawkins in a transfer window. The club didn't suffer, nobody ripped up their season tickets, everyone got over it. 

I just don't think the club could give a shit about 'seeming like they did all they could' for the benefit of the fans. 

The McLeish appointment also surely illustrated that there's no attempt to dupe the supporters or pull the wool over our eyes. The club will do what they do and not be swayed by supporter reaction.

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

The McLeish appointment also surely illustrated that there's no attempt to dupe the supporters or pull the wool over our eyes. The club will do what they do and not be swayed by supporter reaction.

Yes, exactly. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand - sort of - the advantage that 'pretending to sign players' has over 'actually signing players' (it's cheaper) but I don't understand what the advantage of 'pretending to sign players' is supposed to be over 'saying we're not going to sign players'. 

4 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Didn't the club change it's mind about hiring Steve McClaren because it was badly received by the fans?

• Like 1