Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

personally think we will wait until summer before signing another striker. honestly i think rudy and kozak can get a shed load of goals next season if amavi stays

i maintain we are down so probably pointless spending bucks on another striker at this stage. I would have tried obtain a loan striker for now but again I cant see any players coming in (maybe  a loan if we are lucky)

Have to disagree on this mate. Kozak and Gastede are both up there with the worst strikers in the clubs history, which is the main reason we never look like scoring. 

The idea that they get a "shed loads of goals" in the Championship is optimistic and does a disservice to the league, (I remember the claims on here the Wiemann would rip that league apart, its not neally as weak as people make out IMO) Gastedes one good season in the Championship following years of mediocrity doesn't fill me confidence he can do it again)

Besides which we have seen over the last couple of months that Remi is trying to implement a different style of play, I simply cannot see Remi playing any sort of system that plays to the strengths of 2 lumps upfront, and nor should he. Neither are good enough. 

In my dreams I still hope that given Klopp clearly does not rate Benteke and seems likely to off load him in the summer that he could do the decent thing and let us have him on loan for the rest of the season.

I know it's an utter pipe dream.:(

• Like 1

Gestede really only had one very good season in the Championship where he scored 20 goals, he also scored 12 in 21 the season before, which you could say qualifies as a good season. However he was awful for Cardiff in the same division.

It's hardly a certainty that he will deliver in that division for us. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Have to disagree on this mate. Kozak and Gastede are both up there with the worst strikers in the clubs history, which is the main reason we never look like scoring. 

The idea that they get a "shed loads of goals" in the Championship is optimistic and does a disservice to the league, (I remember the claims on here the Wiemann would rip that league apart, its not neally as weak as people make out IMO) Gastedes one good season in the Championship following years of mediocrity doesn't fill me confidence he can do it again)

Besides which we have seen over the last couple of months that Remi is trying to implement a different style of play, I simply cannot see Remi playing any sort of system that plays to the strengths of 2 lumps upfront, and nor should he. Neither are good enough. 

Whether Kozak or Gestede will score a lot in the Championship next year is hard to say, but 'it's not nearly as weak as people make out' is exactly wrong. People on this website massively over-estimate the quality of the Championship. 

Before the window...

Garde needs a window to get his own players in and mould the squad to his way and with his players

At the start of the window...

Glad to see he is getting rid of all the shit to clear the squad for his players

Six days to go....

It would be a waste anyway at this point to spend any money on players

Seen all of these comments,  admittedly not from the same people.  Interesting being a Villa fan as

1) He isnt getting his own players to a squad he wants

2) He hasnt cleared the shit out

3) Spending now helps next season and is most definately not a waste

Trouble is not one person in a senior management position at the club gives a shit about the "Core business driver of the organisation"

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bose said:

----------------------------Butland/Adrian

Clyne----------Dann/Stones-----------------Fonte-----------Cresswell

Arnautovic---------Besic-----------------Mahrez----------------Bolasie

--------------------Ighalo----------------Vardy

All these players were bought for 4m pounds or less and in most cases much less. The Clyne transfer is when he went to Southampton from Crystal Palace. 

Mahrez was 400k, Arnautovic 2m, Vardy 1m, Bolasie 1m, Cresswell 3m, Fonte 1m etc. There is so much possibility in finding good players if you have a very good scouting setup across Europe and in the lower leagues.

Of course there will be failures and these players are the success stories but if we had a competent set up we could make some really good buys. Instead we buy players that have no business in the Premier League (Bowery, Lowton, Bennett, Luna, Richardson) or pay big fees for sub-par players (Gestede, Ireland, N'Zogbia).

Our success stories for low fees in recent years have been Okore, Gil and Westwood (even he is very debatable on this board at least). Even they are nowhere near the players in that team.

Its funny but a few seasons back Lowton delph and Benteke (few quid more but relative peanuts) would have been on some other fans similar lists.  It happens to us too.

• Like 1

Never heard of him to be honest.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/striker-says-he-s-well-up-for-transfer-to-aston-villa-dream-move-

Roman Zozulya is a name not known to most outside of Ukraine. The Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk striker is an expereinced international, and at 26 years of age he's decided the time is right to test his talents on a bigger stage. 

Questioned over the weekend about interest from Aston Villa, Zozulya couldn't have sounded keener. Links to Aston Villa are news to us, but Zozulya was asked outright: 'Can you comment on the rumours about your possible move to Aston Villa?'

Quoted by Tribuna, and many other Ukrainian outlets, Zozulya replied: "Honestly, it's my dream - to play in England. I am very glad about such rumours - I really want to play there in the Premier League."

Zozulya went on to say that he's informed Dnipro chief Igor Kolomoisky about his wish for the transfer, but there are no specifics yet. The footballer conceded that whilst he may not be at the level of compatriots Andriy Yarmolenko and Yevhen Konoplyanka, he really wants the chance of a Premier League transfer and is happy to listen to any proposals, and wants his club to consider them too. 

I suppose the only way to attract players to an "undesirable" club like us is to go somewhere where it is even less desirable at the minute .  So the Ukranian link may have some legs

Gestede's not good enough for us to building our team and style of play around. If we go down, I think we have to start as mean to go on, by which I mean implement a style of play that will get us out of the division and once ingrained into the players, help us stay in the Premier, once back there. And that style of play would be one where we actually play football rather than just hoofing it Gestede.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

I may be wrong but he does not seem nailed on as a starter for them either. Just another bang average product from our overhyped Academy.

Back on topic having watched Gestede all season I totally fail to see how he scored the number of goals he did last season. I am a little more optimistic about Kozak as he did do the business for Lazio (?) and he is coming back from a serious injury. Given all that a loan for a striker is a must IMO.

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/striker-says-he-s-well-up-for-transfer-to-aston-villa-dream-move-

Roman Zozulya is a name not known to most outside of Ukraine. The Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk striker is an expereinced international, and at 26 years of age he's decided the time is right to test his talents on a bigger stage. 

Questioned over the weekend about interest from Aston Villa, Zozulya couldn't have sounded keener. Links to Aston Villa are news to us, but Zozulya was asked outright: 'Can you comment on the rumours about your possible move to Aston Villa?'

Quoted by Tribuna, and many other Ukrainian outlets, Zozulya replied: "Honestly, it's my dream - to play in England. I am very glad about such rumours - I really want to play there in the Premier League."

Zozulya went on to say that he's informed Dnipro chief Igor Kolomoisky about his wish for the transfer, but there are no specifics yet. The footballer conceded that whilst he may not be at the level of compatriots Andriy Yarmolenko and Yevhen Konoplyanka, he really wants the chance of a Premier League transfer and is happy to listen to any proposals, and wants his club to consider them too. 

Would he get a work permit considering Kalinic couldn't?

Might be able to pass him off as a war refuge thou...

Although on a more serious note his wiki page does have this on it...

"On 27 February 2014, in a Europa League match against Tottenham, Zozulya was sent off after he directed a head-butt towards Jan Vertonghen. Zozulya was sent off and had to restrained from attacking Vertonghen, who was accused of simulating the degree of contact. Tottenham went on to win the game 3–1, knocking Dnipro out of the Europa League."

Always disliked Vertonghen so I say "sign him up".

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Stats:

29 games, 3 goals this season and last.

Will fit in perfectly!

Edited by Sani
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Would he get a work permit considering Kalinic couldn't?

Might be able to pass him off as a war refuge thou...

He's played 22 times for Ukraine since 2010 so should be ok for a work permit but his strike rate is fairly mediocre, he has 35 goals in 167 games with 35 assists at club level and 3 goals in 22 games with 4 assists at international level. 

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Gestede really only had one very good season in the Championship where he scored 20 goals, he also scored 12 in 21 the season before, which you could say qualifies as a good season. However he was awful for Cardiff in the same division.

It's hardly a certainty that he will deliver in that division for us. 

I'm almost certain that Garde will not implement the hoof ball style that Blackburn employed, so I don't think it's unduly harsh to predict that his goal return for us would be closer to his record for Cardiff as opposed to his record for Blackburn. 

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

Before the window...

Garde needs a window to get his own players in and mould the squad to his way and with his players

At the start of the window...

Glad to see he is getting rid of all the shit to clear the squad for his players

Six days to go....

It would be a waste anyway at this point to spend any money on players

Seen all of these comments,  admittedly not from the same people.  Interesting being a Villa fan as

1) He isnt getting his own players to a squad he wants

2) He hasnt cleared the shit out

3) Spending now helps next season and is most definately not a waste

Trouble is not one person in a senior management position at the club gives a shit about the "Core business driver of the organisation"

1 & 2 are obviously factors out of remi's hands (and likely the clubs). Also probably 3

Still think Jordan Rhodes is the answer. Excellent Championship record. 21 goals in 45 games last season and 8 goals in 12 games so far this season. In fact he's scored more than 20 league goals a season since he's been at Blackburn.

In terms of total league goals he has 73 in 124 for Huddersfield and 81 in 146 for Blackburn.

Obviously it will mean spending money but I don't see how we wouldn't be in a good starting position for next season if we signed him now. Maybe give Blackburn Gestede back in part-exchange.

• Like 4