Transfer Speculation January 2016

Marka Ragnos

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Not really.

What if someone like, I dunno, Kolarov was available (I know he isn't, bear with me) and we were still going for Cole?

By your logic we'd just stick with Cole.

Whereas Hanoi is pointing out further up that some people would be saying "erm, Cole might be better than Richardson, but wouldn't Kolarov be a better signing?"

Nah we'd never get Kolarov.

:trollface:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

So far linked with Cole and Vidic, ridiculous. If the January plan is to sign players in their mid 30's who have been crap the last two years then I'm afraid we are not going anywhere fast.  What's Robert Pires up to these days?

what's the right solution then?

53 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Cole is better than Richardson at the moment, we havent seen him play since March and last game I saw him in was absolute torn to shreds granted Bayern were on fire but the old Cole wouldnt have allowed most of that

I'm more concerned about him being able to handle players like Adbi than I am Ribery and Robben.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

what's the right solution then?

I believe we can recall Cissokho and we can add Senderos to the 25 man squad so we are okay in defence, what we need to do in Jan is to replace the entire midfield unit and buy a striker who isn't shit. Those things are not going to happen so we may as well write this year off and plan for next summer. As long as the midfield unit consists of Sanchez, Gana, Veretout, Westwood and Gardner then any attempt at doing anything is futile as they are all utter shite.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vincenzo said:

Beggar can't be chosers and yes I'm afraid we're beggars

Hope he can do a job for us. At 75% of his ability he's still better than what we currently have

This idea that he's 70% or 75% the player he was. Such meaningless figures based on nothing. What if he's 2% the player he once was. Yeah if he's still a good prem quality left back then sign him up. I think the fear is that he really isn't, and for the cash he'd be asking you'd hope there would be better options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Not really.

What if someone like, I dunno, Kolarov was available (I know he isn't, bear with me) and we were still going for Cole?

By your logic we'd just stick with Cole.

Whereas Hanoi is pointing out further up that some people would be saying "erm, Cole might be better than Richardson, but wouldn't Kolarov be a better signing?"

I think you confused my logic with something else! We should be signing anybody that improves the team. We shouldn't be thinking longer than the end of this season. We have a squad that in the long run will be fine but we need a team to try to get us out of this crap. No where did I say we should sign Cole and no one else regardless. The club has had a policy of buying in the main under 27 that should be disregarded for the short term. I've no idea what your logic is but I hope I've cleared up mine!! 

50 minutes ago, YLN said:

This idea that he's 70% or 75% the player he was. Such meaningless figures based on nothing. What if he's 2% the player he once was. Yeah if he's still a good prem quality left back then sign him up. I think the fear is that he really isn't, and for the cash he'd be asking you'd hope there would be better options. 

Whether Cole is still good enough we'd have to wait and hope but as far as the financial side goes didn't he sign for 35k a week at Roma?? He took over 150k a week pay cut to play at a high level so it may not have worked out but at least he had a go. 

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I believe we can recall Cissokho and we can add Senderos to the 25 man squad so we are okay in defence, what we need to do in Jan is to replace the entire midfield unit and buy a striker who isn't shit. Those things are not going to happen so we may as well write this year off and plan for next summer. As long as the midfield unit consists of Sanchez, Gana, Veretout, Westwood and Gardner then any attempt at doing anything is futile as they are all utter shite.

I don't think Gana and Veretout are as bad as you say, they haven't done anything special, but I'd say they are capable of being average PL midfielders. We do lack some Premier League nous in the midfield though, along with leadership and organisation. Having 2 brand new midfielders to the league alongside Sanchez who has at least 1 panic attack per game isn't a recipe for success, someone like Darren Fletcher would have been a good signing. I'm concerned about the lack of a goalscorer, and a calm head at the back who can play (Richards is too much of a bull in a China shop for CB).

5 hours ago, dn1982 said:

I think you confused my logic with something else! We should be signing anybody that improves the team. We shouldn't be thinking longer than the end of this season. We have a squad that in the long run will be fine but we need a team to try to get us out of this crap. No where did I say we should sign Cole and no one else regardless. The club has had a policy of buying in the main under 27 that should be disregarded for the short term. I've no idea what your logic is but I hope I've cleared up mine!! 

No, my point was we shouldn't just be buying a player because he will improve us.

We should be buying a player because he will improve us the most out of everybody available.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

No, my point was we shouldn't just be buying a player because he will improve us.

We should be buying a player because he will improve us the most out of everybody available.

I don't think anybody ever has said don't buy the best player possible. Cole is available you named Kolarov who isn't so it's a mute point. If there's a better LB than Cole buy him just no matter what improve the team. 

6 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

I don't think anybody ever has said don't buy the best player possible. 

You did, actually:

7 hours ago, dn1982 said:

Spot on! The only question we should ask is are they an improvement on what we have. 

My point was that's not the ONLY question we should ask. We should also ask is that player the best one we could get?

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You did, actually:

My point was that's not the ONLY question we should ask. We should also ask is that player the best one we could get?

That was in a reply to people giving reasons why we SHOULDN'T sign Cole! You interpret it anyway you want as you've conviently left out all the other responses we've had. I clearly stated we should be looking to get players in who will improve us in the short term and not think further than next summer. That's why the only question when signing a player is will they improve the team. It's a given you try for the best player you can get. Feel free to misquote. 

1 hour ago, dn1982 said:

That was in a reply to people giving reasons why we SHOULDN'T sign Cole! You interpret it anyway you want as you've conviently left out all the other responses we've had. I clearly stated we should be looking to get players in who will improve us in the short term and not think further than next summer. That's why the only question when signing a player is will they improve the team. It's a given you try for the best player you can get. Feel free to misquote. 

Haha, I didn't misquote. I quoted exactly what you said :)

But fine, you've agreed now that we should be looking for the best available so we're on the same page.