Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

yep, all of that would whittle away the arguments as to why you need one in the first place

if you think you need one to protect your family then you still don't need a military grade assault rifle with armour piercing rounds and extended magazines etc 

if you think you need one because lets face it you just like guns - and that includes ARs or grenade launchers or gattling guns or whatever you want - its at a controlled location, its not under your bed

there's loads of things they can do, they just dont want to, there's loads of countries with gun owners, no country anywhere like the US

personally i still believe that the country operates a system of control by fear, they've just moved on from the commies to "america's enemies" guns are only a part of the problem over there, the whole mentality and culture needs to shift too, imagine going down tesco and thinking you need to carry a gun just in case one of the UK's enemies pops in and you need to protect your country or you lie in bed at night and think you need a gun close in case a murderer breaks in to your house and you need to protect your family....we simply dont live in that fear...mainly because we're not absolutely **** mental

and the elephant in the room is the surprisingly rare amount of hero’s that seem to be on hand with their guns to stop mass shootings. You never seem to read that a shooter was taken down by a member of the public being heroic and stopping a disaster before the police could get there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

and the elephant in the room is the surprisingly rare amount of hero’s that seem to be on hand with their guns to stop mass shootings. You never seem to read that a shooter was taken down by a member of the public being heroic and stopping a disaster before the police could get there.

The ever-elusive “good guy with a gun” 🙄

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Genie said:

Hero's what?

In most states, that's likely to be 3rd degree homicide charge unless you can prove that you or your property were at immediate risk of harm.

1 hour ago, limpid said:

Hero's what?

In most states, that's likely to be 3rd degree homicide charge unless you can prove that you or your property were at immediate risk of harm.

But then that again begs the question as to why people are happily walking round supermarkets with a gun on them 

To do what exactly?

Should a terrorist rock up you would be charged with murder if you shot him?

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

But then that again begs the question as to why people are happily walking round supermarkets with a gun on them 

To do what exactly?

No, because you would be at an immediate risk of harm. Although in the supermarket, I suspect that you would be charged if you shot first.

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To do what exactly?

While I wish it would never occur at all, I think there are far, far fewer people packing in public here than you imagine there are. I’ve only encountered it once, in 2019 when I last went back to Austin. Hell, I am fairly certain I never encountered it in any of our many visits to brother-in-law in Gainesville, FL. It’s not allowed in CA so it’s a non-issue 

4 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

While I wish it would never occur at all, I think there are far, far fewer people packing in public here than you imagine there are. I’ve only encountered it once, in 2019 when I last went back to Austin. Hell, I am fairly certain I never encountered it in any of our many visits to brother-in-law in Gainesville, FL. It’s not allowed in CA so it’s a non-issue 

On first read I thought you were saying you'd only encountered an "active shooter" once, which says enough really.

Hurt people hurt people. Simple-minded answers being handed out to the masses -- "an act of pure evil" -- only reinforce the problem of a society that doesn't know how to look at itself any more, which is actually the true evil.

Updated September 5, 2024 at 1:31 p.m. EDT|Published September 5, 2024 at 12:32 p.m. EDT

The 14-year-old arrested after a mass killing at Georgia’s Apalachee High School had been “begging for months” for mental health help before he allegedly carried out a deadly attack Wednesday, according to an aunt of the shooting suspect.

He “was begging for help from everybody around him,” Annie Brown, the aunt, told The Washington Post. “The adults around him failed him.”

Brown, who lives in Central Florida, declined to elaborate on the teen’s mental health challenges but said she tried from afar to get him help. She said his struggles were exacerbated by a difficult home life. He and his family had “previous contacts” with the local child services department, Chris Hosey, the director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, said at a news conference Wednesday night.

Brown said that in January she helped her nephew enroll at Haymon-Morris Middle School in Barrow County so he could finish eighth grade following a period of absenteeism. He had just started ninth grade at Apalachee High this school year, she said.

The fact that they have started charging the shooters' parents for the murders may be one small step in the right direction. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The fact that they have started charging the shooters' parents for the murders may be one small step in the right direction. 

That’s what I thought too, a small step but at least moving in the correct trajectory.

They should make it law that any shooter under the age of 18 will also have their parents charged. It might cause these parents to pay a bit more attention to what their kids are up to and make access to guns harder.

Edited by Genie

7 hours ago, Genie said:

That’s what I thought too, a small step but at least moving in the correct trajectory.

They should make it law that any shooter under the age of 18 will also have their parents charged. It might cause these parents to pay a bit more attention to what their kids are up to and make access to guns harder.

Definitely might stop parents given their children guns as a gift 🙄

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Life over as well. They’ll both be dying in prison. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â