Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Gotta love people on Twitter saying the quiet part out loud:

This is in response to a prominent YouTuber admitting that he went to a protest with a gun just wishing someone would give him the excuse to shoot them. Liam Neeson would have been proud.

I'd say if that's what Bricky really thinks then he's a genuine danger to society.

I can honestly say I have no desire to ever kill anyone or anything. I'd like to think if it came down to a situation where I absolutely had to to save my own life or someone else's life that I'd be able to do it. But I definitely can't guarantee it.

One thing I can guarantee is I am in no way looking forward to that moment (if it were to ever happen). I imagine it would haunt me for the rest of my life.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That line about blowing the hypothetical burglar's head off strikes me as why a lot of people have guns. Seems like a fantasy to me. Just like that kid in Kenosha, it's just that the radius of the "home" he's protecting is quite a bit larger than his actual physical house. He just wanted to take out some "bad guys" in "self defence".

Yep absolutely.  But the point being if you met him you wouldnt think he had it in him.

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I doubt most people would have the bollocks to do it anyway. 

Ita impossible to say unless your in the situation. If i feel i am going to die or a loved one with me is regardless of whther i did what they said or not i think i would.

Hopefully ill never be in the position to know.

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Ita impossible to say unless your in the situation. If i feel i am going to die or a loved one with me is regardless of whther i did what they said or not i think i would.

Hopefully ill never be in the position to know.

I think I would too... but I can't guarantee it. But a lot of these people are talking about just murdering a burglar, whether their life was in danger or not.

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think I would too... but I can't guarantee it. But a lot of these people are talking about just murdering a burglar, whether their life was in danger or not.

Yeah its a hard one because for me i would just let them take whatever. Contents will cover you.

But then if they start continuing to threathen after they have the stuff then its tough as i think no matter what they are looking to murder me so i would have to try take them out if i was under that.

But its so hard to know 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I find it strange that people assume that a burglar would also be a potential murderer. I would think that quite a few if not most burglars steal to make money, taking a life is something else entirely.

not that I have any experience, but I think a burglar would run as soon as he/she heard someone coming down the stairs. Why are we entertaining the idea that your life would be in danger if there is someone in your house? (Some criminals wouldn’t care if they steal or kill, but I don’t think that is the majority)

• Like 1

Just now, AXD said:

I find it strange that people assume that a burglar would also be a potential murderer. I would think that quite a few if not most burglars steal to make money, taking a life is something else entirely.

not that I have any experience, but I think a burglar would run as soon as he/she heard someone coming down the stairs. Why are we entertaining the idea that your life would be in danger if there is someone in your house? (Some criminals wouldn’t care if they steal or kill, but I don’t think that is the majority)

Well exactly. People seem to be saying that as soon as a burglar entered your home then BANG, kill the word removed.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely no respect for people who rob other people's homes. It's disgusting.

But do I think a justifiable punishment is to blow their head off? No not for me. And like I said I doubt many people would have the bollocks to blow a burglar's head off anyway if he wasn't threatening their life.

1 minute ago, AXD said:

Yup, and as I alluded to a few posts ago, if you engage, you're just escalating it and putting yourself in more danger. Let them escape, or if they'get confrontational instead of fleeing, let them take what they want.

If you back them in to a corner and escalate it in to a violent conflict, you;'d better be damn sure you can win.

Leafy? 

Wow, I haven't heard that name for about 8 years when he got his followers to leave "HISSSS" on other youtubers comment sections and it was annoying as **** then.  The only reason I know his name was because I googled why sad, idiot kids were leaving "HISSSS" on all of youtube videos. 

He's really moved on and raised the bar hasn't he? 

53 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Yup, and as I alluded to a few posts ago, if you engage, you're just escalating it and putting yourself in more danger. Let them escape, or if they'get confrontational instead of fleeing, let them take what they want.

If you back them in to a corner and escalate it in to a violent conflict, you;'d better be damn sure you can win.

FWIW (as I know you're fairly close to me) - there was a pretty violent burglary a few months back; no confrontation or escalation at all.  Perpetrators had presumably decided they were going to burgle in that manner.

(Of course, no guns were involved so no-one died and all 3 burglars were apprehended and jailed.) 

I wonder whether things like Ring have reduced burglaries.  If everyone effectively had CCTV it would make it harder to not get caught, though I suppose criminals are always evolving and will find a way around it.  Anyway I'd feel a lot safer by spending money on good security equipment than having a gun in the house.  My Mum and Dad's house got burgled in the day time when she was having chemo, they just took the kitchen window off and piled everything into the car in the garage and drove off with it.  They got caught because the man over the road is a locksmith and had CCTV, having a gun would have been completely pointless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

My brother's partner's father confronted two youths in his backyard around March this year, got stabbed multiple times and nearly didn't pull through. This was about 24 hours after I'd had someone try and rob me at knife point as I walked home around midnight from a friends place. Honestly, when the blood starts rushing, or whatever it is, adrenaline, the intuition that something very serious that is potentially going to threaten your livelihood comes up, it can be hard to predict what comes next and adhering to a code of conduct that is tailor made to appropriately handle the predicament you find yourself in, unexpectedly, in the moment, can be a very difficult thing to do. 

When the second amendment was written, people were armed with flintlocks. Primarily because the States eschewed a large standing army ala Europe, preferring a militia. Given that the USA now has the most powerful standing army on earth, and powerful assault rifles are now freely available. It really does seem due a second look.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah its a hard one because for me i would just let them take whatever. Contents will cover you.

But then if they start continuing to threathen after they have the stuff then its tough as i think no matter what they are looking to murder me so i would have to try take them out if i was under that.

But its so hard to know 

In the end it would boil down to how you handle the massive adrenaline surge and the fight or flight   Reaction, the kicker is you will never know until it happens and pray to God it never does

On 27/08/2020 at 02:44, villa4europe said:

But its initial intention is so out of date its incredible, they arent forming a militia, it's utter bollocks, Jim Jeffries is still right the only defence for owning a gun is the admission that you like guns

Hunting.

Though I'd be quick to point out that 99% of hunters where I live (Canada) happily abide by laws that are much closer to Australia's than the US. In fact "a loaded weapon has no place within city limits" is a pretty common phrase, and they get very pissed when people caught with illegal firearms aren't jailed for multiple years.  From my limited exposure with the hunting community in the US I'd say it's somewhat true there too.

Whether or not you think hunting is necessary is another point of discussion - just keep in mind that while it's a sport for posh clearings in the woods in red coats in England, it's culturally very different in North America and has roots in a much more working class, "fill you freezer" mentality.  That said, I'm happy to engage in any good faith discussion on any of this - you won't hurt my feelings by disagreeing with me.

4 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

Hunting.

Though I'd be quick to point out that 99% of hunters where I live (Canada) happily abide by laws that are much closer to Australia's than the US. In fact "a loaded weapon has no place within city limits" is a pretty common phrase, and they get very pissed when people caught with illegal firearms aren't jailed for multiple years.  From my limited exposure with the hunting community in the US I'd say it's somewhat true there too.

Whether or not you think hunting is necessary is another point of discussion - just keep in mind that while it's a sport for posh clearings in the woods in red coats in England, it's culturally very different in North America and has roots in a much more working class, "fill you freezer" mentality.  That said, I'm happy to engage in any good faith discussion on any of this - you won't hurt my feelings by disagreeing with me.

Nah I've got 2 brother in laws who shoot pigs every minute of their spare time, one of them is like if I say I'm obsessed with football and the villa to say like home and away he puts the same energy in to shooting things 

I understand hunting 

I don't understand some bloke maybe comes in to my house tonight I need to own some military grade assualt rifle incase I get robbed 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Nah I've got 2 brother in laws who shoot pigs every minute of their spare time, one of them is like if I say I'm obsessed with football and the villa to say like home and away he puts the same energy in to shooting things 

I understand hunting 

I don't understand the desire to kill sentient beings.

I somewhat see how the challenge of tracking something could be exciting; chasing them in a 'hide and seek' sort of way. Especially as wild animals are creatures of which our understanding is far removed;

But very much like De Niro at the end of 'The Deer Hunter' (terrible example I know) why destroy what you've enjoyed tracking and observing? (probably terrifying it beyond belief in all honesty.)

For me the idea to destroy an animal is a sick perversion.  They can't fight back against a bullet. WooHoo big man, go human development. Love to see your brother in laws wrestle a bear or a tiger.

Tell me I'm soppy.

Edited by TheAuthority

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â