The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

16 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Ah, thanks, some interesting points there. It's true it might not be what the Tory party is after - they're famous for wanting to win, but then they did pick Michael Howard and IDS for leaders back in the day so maybe that doesn't always hold.

Indeed; and given the lack of turnover in Tory party membership, the same selectorate that chose IDS is still there, still the majority of the membership, somehow even older than they already were but no wiser. They may not be that interested in a hindu billionaire who doesn't really engage much in culture war fighting.

19 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Regarding the Chancellors, I'd say Sunak is in an unusually strong position because he's not particularly close to the PM and the PM he's serving has got himself into trouble relatively quickly but the upcoming election is still relatively winnable . . . Sunak may well go the same way but I think he's been dealt a good hand that means he might be able to defy gravity on this occasion.

Maybe. I agree with the first part of this analysis, but I personally don't expect him to win if and when there is a leadership contest. Even if he does, it will have been a fight - a truly strong candidate, like Brown, clears the field and there is no way Sunak will run unopposed.

Douglas Ross becomes one of the first Tory MPs to call for Johnson to resign:

The logic of this presumably is that Johnson is deeply unpopular in Scotland, so calling for Johnson to resign helps create some useful distance between Ross and Westminster. But in practice, all this is going to do surely is allow Sturgeon to keep answering his questions with lines about 'Boris Johnson, who we both believe should resign' for the foreseeable, because he ain't resigning any time soon.

Edited by HanoiVillan

14 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I would also suggest the "lets see what comes out of the investigation" line being said by some seniors MPs confirms it will be found to be a work meeting. 

There are two judgements being made here though - if some sort of fudge is announced to say that there is just enough grey area to mean he wasn't breaking the law, that doesn't mean the public will just shrug their shoulders and think that everything is fine again.

17 minutes ago, bickster said:

No, I don't think there is. That's what the Culture War is about, attacking the institutions they don't want to fund and attacking the supporters of those institutions

It really does boil down to the same thing.

I think you define it a bit wider than me then, and I think also probably wider than is generally accepted (although I'd be interested to hear what other users think about that).

The definition is always a bit blurred because everything is at least adjacent to the culture wars these days, but something like the privatisation of the NHS to me is not a culture war issue - it just a question of policy. It's about differing views on how  country should be run and who should benefit and how (which is the heart of politics and always has been).

Something like the whole debate about the removal of statues to me is prime culture war territory - it's nothing more than political theatre, purely about culture and how woke your political views are. It's about driving people into one of two opposing camps and ensuring they stay there. It's politics-lite, designed to distract from considerations of actual policy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

Just saw a lady interviewed (short clip) saying the media are conducting a witch-hunt on Boris. 🤦‍♂️

Opposition playing politics and it happened over a year ago lets move on is where my dad is at.

• Shocked 1

There was a bit on the news earlier interviewing 3 elderly people in Solihull after showing them the clip of PMQ’s. They were all disgusted about the events, then asked if they would vote for him again initially they hmmm’d I’m not sure, then 1 guy said he’d vote conservative again if they had a different leader.

The initial reaction said it all tbh, they’ll vote for him again because they’ll convince themselves he’ll learn from it and it won’t happen again.

• Like 2

I feel like the problem with a lot of Tory voters is where to go next

Labour - Their pride will stop then admitting that they're actually better than Tories

UKIP - Brexit and Farage have killed the party, and they're now stuck throwing random looneys into leadership

Britain First (or whatever Farage's new scheme is) - completely small fry

So they'll vote for the conservatives again, and tell themselves that this party is completely different to Boris' government

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Wait for the inquiry findings

wait for the inquiry findings

wait for the inquiry findings

lessons have been learnt

Time to draw a line under it

“I accept that they looked a lot like parties and for that I apologise. They were work events and in future we will make extra sure such work events don’t look like parties to the untrained eyes of the general public. I understand why the public were upset because these work events looked like parties and apologise for any offence caused”.

The MET also have nothing to answer as no breaches occurred.

Everybodies happy.

Now, how about our vaccine roll out and historical deal with Australia.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

I feel like the problem with a lot of Tory voters is where to go next

Labour - Their pride will stop then admitting that they're actually better than Tories

UKIP - Brexit and Farage have killed the party, and they're now stuck throwing random looneys into leadership

Britain First (or whatever Farage's new scheme is) - completely small fry

So they'll vote for the conservatives again, and tell themselves that this party is completely different to Boris' government

Maybe there just needs to be more focus on convincing people to abstain altogether in that event.

Even if the investigation into the parties comes back and finds Boris and co have acted unlawfully, can anyone see Boris resigning? The man has no integrity, self awareness, or shame. He'll only go if he's pushed. He'd (hopefully) destroy the party before falling on his sword.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â