The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

13 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Anyway, I meant she would hold EU nationals here to ransom. She has basically said their right to stay here would depend on the deal she could do with Brussels. I think it's possible to be more sinister but it's usually accompanied by goose-stepping.

Have you got a link to this as I haven't found one when I googled her just now ...

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

@Chindie - me too. and agreed. I asked because I was interested in your view.

I guess to elaborate, the fate of EU nationals is certainly a card that could be played in the negotiations, but it's the word removed card. It also would undoubtedly backfire.

'Hey Spain! Have your **** baristas back'.

'Hola Britain! Have your pensioners back too!'.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Have you got a link to this as I haven't found one when I googled her just now ...

Grauniad

Finally, she explicitly identified some cards that she may have in a tough negotiating hand. She said the rights of EU migrants to remain in the UK will be in play in the talks, implying that without a deal, tens of thousands of Europeans could be thrown out of the UK.

• Like 1

So the next PM is a man who doesn't believe in experts, or a woman who probably won't stop rolling out new surveillance gear until there are 5 cameras in every bedroom in the country.

May knows that if she kicks EU citizens out of the UK, then the EU will make all the expats come home. And that'll be young workers leaving, old retirees coming back. (Not exclusively, I know)

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

May knows that if she kicks EU citizens out of the UK

Of course, but it might appeal to that part of the people who get to vote in their leadership thing, who, y'know, aren't racist ;), they just have y'know "worries" about immigration.

She would never actually do it. That's not the point. It's not even a negotiating hand, as you say.

59 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Anyway, I meant she would hold EU nationals here to ransom. She has basically said their right to stay here would depend on the deal she could do with Brussels. I think it's possible to be more sinister but it's usually accompanied by goose-stepping.

45 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Perhaps she'll just get some of her old 'Go Home' vans back out of the garage

tory-van-620_2628143b.jpg

54 minutes ago, blandy said:

Of course, but it might appeal to that part of the people who get to vote in their leadership thing, who, y'know, aren't racist ;), they just have y'know "worries" about immigration.

She would never actually do it. That's not the point. It's not even a negotiating hand, as you say.

Are you implying that anyone who worries about immigration is a racist?

massive generalisation if you are!

7 minutes ago, hycus-flange said:

Are you implying that anyone who worries about immigration is a racist?

massive generalisation if you are!

No. Because that would, to an extent cover me. What I'm saying is that her words might appeal to racists. The "We won now **** off home" lot

Conservative grandee and former leadership contender Lord Heseltine has launched a scathing attack on Boris Johnson, accusing him of creating the "greatest constitutional crisis in modern times".

Lord Heseltine, a former deputy prime minister, told the BBC the former London mayor had "ripped the (Conservative) party apart."

Lord Heseltine described Mr Johnson as "like a general, that led his army to the sound of guns, and at the sight of the battlefield abandoned the field."

Full interview is here. It's interesting - BBC

Boris gets scapegoated, we get a new leader, an election with a promise of remain if we vote for him and if he wins they get to say "Voice of the people have spoken" etc and pretend they didn't start all this in the first place.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â