The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I’m watching all of you dancing with joy at Badenoch being the likely candidate but this is exactly what happened in Australia, just a few years ahead of you.

After losing power to a centrist Labour government Australia’s Tories swung further right and nominated their unelectable ‘Badenoch’ candidate as opposition leader, except he is now looking like he might become the next Prime Minister after a disappointing term from the centrist Labour government. 

As difficult as it seems (and it looked impossible in Australia a few years back) it could well be a case of be careful what you wish for. 

And we’ve just been through anyone but them in charge. A few scandals on Labours watch and it’ll be “vote blue to get rid of this lot” and then all bets are off.

32 minutes ago, T-Dog said:

Lads, I've got a brain like a brick right now. If anyone would be so kind to summarise who's in and out, and why they're all dangers to the human race, that'd be great 

Cheers. (Still **** around with printer, ain't I)

They're Tories, so they're predetermined to be dangers to the human race.

But in terms of being dangers to the future of the Tory party, they've managed to eliminate the one candidate most likely to win back swing voters. 

And seemingly, it looks like he screwed himself by lending votes to Jenrick to knock out Badenoch. And by doing so accidentally knocked himself into third place behind both of them.

Tories gonna Tory.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

The country likes Tories. It's not nice and obviously there's a decent chunk of the country that doesn't vote Tory, but when push comes to shove we get Tory governments with great regularity and even if you argue the game is rigged for them nobody ever seems to change the rules against them. Thus, on the whole, the UK **** loves a Tory.

I don't think this stands up. In my lifetime which is the last 50 years, the Tories percentage share of vote has been the below (every general election since 1974)

37%, 43%, 42%, 42%, 42%, 31%, 32%, 32%, 36%, 37%, 42%, 44%, 24%

Average of 36% over the 13 general elections since 1974. 

By contrast Labour had the below:

39%, 37%, 28%,31%,34%, 43%, 41%,35%, 29%, 30%,40%, 32%, 34%

Average of 35% over the 13 general elections since 1974. 

I suppose it all depends where on the political spectrum you put the Lib Dems in all this (under their various names) but I'd align them closer with Labour and their average share of the vote since 1974 has been 17%. That is therefore an average of 52% voting Labour or Lib Dem over the last 13 elections against 36% Tory.

Obviously more recently we have seen the rise of UKIP/Reform. They got 12% in 2015 then nothing significant (over a couple of %) until 2024 when they got 14%. You can counter some of that though with the Greens/SNP getting 9% between them in 2015 and the Greens getting 6% in 2024.

I think the overall picture shows that the country is around 55%+ Labour/Libs/Greens/SNP so certainly not majority right/far right, although I fully expect some will say the current incarnation of Labour is right wing.

Edited by markavfc40

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

... be careful what you wish for. 

There are a lot of interests inside and outside the country looking to push us to the right, by fair means or foul.

We're going to have to be more switched on than we've been to date.

Look how many planks failed to suss the Brexit PM, and they're still chatting shit.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

For a country that doesn't like Tories we are remarkably good at electing them.

SInce WW2 The Tories have won 2 more General Elections than Labour. 22 Elections. Tory 12, Labour 10.

In the 21st Century Its Tory 4, Labour 3

We're a country that bounces between the two main parties in pretty much equal measure, peoples perception of this depends on when they were born

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

SInce WW2 The Tories have won 2 more General Elections than Labour. 22 Elections. Tory 12, Labour 10.

In the 21st Century Its Tory 4, Labour 3

We're a country that bounces between the two main parties in pretty much equal measure, peoples perception of this depends on when they were born

You're missing his point. It's everyone-I-don't-like-is-a-Tory. 

In the 21st century it's "Tory 7", "my personal checklist of what should be considered Labour 0".

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â