The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I’m kind of going to miss the hilarious incompetence for something to talk about. Literally broken everything in the past 14 years and on an individual level provided 100s of individual personal, media and policy cock ups.

10 minutes ago, Nicho said:

I’m kind of going to miss the hilarious incompetence for something to talk about. Literally broken everything in the past 14 years and on an individual level provided 100s of individual personal, media and policy cock ups.

Oh there’s more to come 😂

On 04/03/2024 at 16:49, ml1dch said:

Most importantly, local elections. An Autumn election would be called in the immediate aftermath of the May locals. I reckon these will be some of the worst results that the Tories have ever seen. Consider last years. The Tories lost over a thousand councillors, from the previous election in those seats which saw Theresa May also lose over a thousand in 2019. The seats happening in May next year were last contested in the post-Covid / vaccine bounce - the Tories had a +550 swing on councillor numbers. So there are a lot more left to be lost, and if they go Autumn then they will calling a General Election and campaigning in the middle of "worst ever election for the Tories" headlines, and a party that is furious with the leadership for overseeing (what I think will be) the worst local elections for the Tories ever.

It's still not ideal sending people to the polls and asking them to kick out a load of Tory councillors as well as the Government, but at least in May there are more motivated Tories trying to help Sunak win an election.

Ah.

The Conservative on-the-ground election campaign is descending into “disarray” amid a chronic lack of volunteers and strategy and an increasing sense of panic in formerly ultra-safe seats, insiders and opponents have told the Guardian.

Some areas have struggled to muster people to knock on doors and deliver leaflets due to a combination of a shrinking and ageing membership, a calamitous fall in the number of Conservative councillors and disillusionment with the election campaign.

Instead the party has become heavily reliant on using paid-for delivery to send out large numbers of election leaflets that are often nationally focused and less relevant to local issues.

“In our seat, the local MP is a minister, and if he goes out door-knocking during the day he’s lucky to have three people with him,” said one Tory official in a seat the party currently holds. “Sometimes it’s just him and one other person. On weekends there are people who might deliver leaflets, but they don’t want to knock on doors.”

Tories now down to third in the latest yougov survey

A YouGov survey showed Nigel Farage’s party on 19 per cent, ahead of the Tories on 18 per cent. Labour remains in the lead on 37 per cent, a lead of 19 percentage points, while the Liberal Democrats placed fourth on 14 per cent.

Well done Rishi, might even end up 4th at this rate.

link

Edited by Genie

8 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

What does it say about our country that nearly a 5th of the voters are in support of a group that's openly fascist?

Honestly, I don't understand.

Some would argue that is no change from the people in control for the last 14 years  so what does that say about the state of the country

1 hour ago, phily85 said:

Some would argue that is no change from the people in control for the last 14 years  so what does that say about the state of the country

That the concept of hyperbole needs to be taught better in schools?

• Like 4

The Sky thing was a very daft thing to say and the memes are hilarious. But I have to admit when I was a kid I didn’t have sky or many things we take for granted these days such as holidays or eating in restaurants etc.

However I was surprised by many people who I knew back then that had all those things but I would have still considered my family to be financially better off than they were.

So while Rishi’s comment is ridiculous I think he was trying to say his parents sacrificed certain things such as Sky so it could be spent on other things such as his education.

Obviously he **** that one up though and got it horribly wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The Sky thing was a very daft thing to say and the memes are hilarious. But I have to admit when I was a kid I didn’t have sky or many things we take for granted these days such as holidays or eating in restaurants etc.

However I was surprised by many people who I knew back then that had all those things but I would have still considered my family to be financially better off than they were.

So while Rishi’s comment is ridiculous I think he was trying to say his parents sacrificed certain things such as Sky so it could be spent on other things such as his education.

Obviously he **** that one up though and got it horribly wrong. 

We grew up on a council estate, money was often tight… but we did have Sky TV. I guess different people have different priorities. I have 2 brothers both also into football, as was my dad so I guess they thought having Sky for the games was a worthwhile expenditure. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

We grew up on a council estate, money was often tight… but we did have Sky TV. I guess different people have different priorities. I have 2 brothers both also into football, as was my dad so I guess they thought having Sky for the games was a worthwhile expenditure. 

My dad could afford sky he was just tight. He meant well though. 

Going off topic I remember I used to get a mate to tape the Villa games for me and I would watch it afterwards not knowing the score. The once he recorded the wrong channel by mistake!! 2 hours of some bollocks from itv instead of the game.

Turns out It was the 4-3 defeat to Newcastle too !  I was gutted!  

back on topic. **** the tories !

• Haha 1

My Dad's excuse was he didn't want a satellite dish on the front of the house and I'd have to wait for cable to be installed on my road.

Finally ComTel/NTL installed cable access in our street and he duly got cable complete with Birmingham Live TV (ohhhhhhh yes).

Thena  year later we moved house and he got Sky as the dish could go on the back of the house.

2 hours ago, phily85 said:

I doubt actual fascists would allow about 700k net migration 

21 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I doubt actual fascists would allow about 700k net migration 

It depends if the particular set of fascists were othering migrants, as opposed to the poor, a different religion or anything else that drives a wedge into which they can pour their invective. Or "rally their base".

The US fascists are playing the abortion issue nearly as much as migration. The UK ones are as much religion based as migration.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ml1dch said:

That the concept of hyperbole needs to be taught better in schools?

I'd settle for schools just teaching kids how to pronounce hyperbole (I'm looking at you Natasha Bedingfield).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

I'd settle for schools just teaching kids how to pronounce hyperbole (I'm looking at you Natasha Bedingfield).

Just a more hyped-up version of the Superbowl, innit. 

• Haha 3

Sunak has done well to start from such a low base and in two weeks of campaigning to have actually gone backwards.  I think their best chance now is to leave him in a room and get out all of the throbbers and go full gammon to avoid a collapse of their support base to Reform. But it might be too late for  that. Sunak has managed to lose support from the 2019 labour voters they picked up, traditional one nation tories who may go to the lib dems, and the brexit bunch who will go full farage. It could be an utter annihilation. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sunak has done well to start from such a low base and in two weeks of campaigning to have actually gone backwards.  I think there best chance now is to leave him in a room and get out all of the throbbers and go full gammon to avoid a collapse of their support base to Reform. But it might be too late for  that. Sunak has managed to lose support from the 2019 labour voters they picked up, traditional one nation tories who may go to the lib dems, and the brexit bunch who will go full garage. It could be an utter annihilation. 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91jzff99vzrjwjjtjqtl

• Like 2

Sunak was appointed leader purely because they felt he was sensible enough to stop the rot and claw back some votes. The fact that from a very low base he managed several personal gaffs which have turned even more voters off the Conservatives is quite the achievement.

I have to say, even I didn’t think it would happen.

Â