The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

5 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I've been very fortunate to have met some of the veterans who landed. I once spent a weekend with a para going around the sites where he and his colleagues jumped in, and he told me about the Nazi's turning telegraph poles into spikes for the paras to land on, and he saw his best friends hitting them. I've never been able to get past that. They all told me about their dead friends being the real heroes whilst they don't seek any glory, with many tears in their eyes.

I get angry about it because Rishi is treating their memory with utter contempt and ignorance. The feeling of remembrance is a very real feeling for me, and often brings me to tears for the fallen colleagues I lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. I empathize with those lost in our country's greatest moment completely. Rishi has dismissed all of those we've lost in conflict in the name of flagrant self promotion. He couldn't sink any lower.

Well I suppose if you're a veteran you have the right to feel slighted by it and expect better. If I was a veteran (I'm not) I'd be more upset by the lack of support you get after leaving the forces. Anyone should be able to go and attend for a day's commemoration and say some nice fluffy words but these cnuts have been actively hollowing out the forces and providing nothing to people after they've rejoined civilian life.

As usual with the Tories, everything is bluster and ultimately boils down to numbers on a spreadsheet and the assumption that money for others is less money for them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I don’t think Farage has the stomach for front line politics long term. He enjoys being the dog barking from the sidelines without being accountable for anything. I have a feeling if he gets elected he’ll quit again and go back on the private grift.

I think you're misreading his intentions. He's been saying for ages now that his aim is Canada '93 (the result of which people are referring to a lot at the moment, but not the context behind the reasons). The Progressive Conservative Party party went from 156 seats down to just 2, largely because of pressure from the right from Preston Manning's (basically the proto-Farage) Reform Party, who went from 1 seat to 52.

With the mainstream Tory party more or less wiped out, Reform then "merged" back with the remains of the PCP to create a new Conservative Party of Canada, with the Reform policies / people but the prestige and infrastructure of the older party. They're currently odds-on favourites to win the 2025 Canadian General Election.

Farage even took the Reform name from the Canadian version and has explicitly said that the above is his plan.

He probably doesn't have the stomach to be in politics without any power. Give him some sort of power and he'll be all over it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Stopping their social media advertising means either 3 things. They’re changing campaign direction, they have budget issues or they’re giving up. 

There are others, internal coup being one of them

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm trying to imagine a world where Jeremy Corbyn was PM and he'd left the D Day stuff early

I think he'd have been fired into the sun by now

You can't imagine this world, because if he was PM from 2019, it's cosmically dictated that a queue of centrist dads would have taken turns angrily firing at his head every second of every day until he was dead, and Mossad would be filling every item he touched with Semtex, and therefore it's a physical impossibility that he would be PM at the D-Day 80 events, as he'd be long dead.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are others, internal coup being one of them

true, yet I’d lump that in the “changing the campaign direction box”

Coup or not, the Tory’s really need a radical change in direction. As things stand now. They’ve lost the centre to labour and they’re losing the far right to Reform. 

it’s an utter disaster and I’m loving it 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91dpt2qil8xyf8c7txy0

Edited by CarryOnVilla

This is almost unbelievable.  Turning up for the D-day anniversary is something a leader of this country simply has to do. It's not a difficult choice, it isn't really even a choice, it's a no brainer. I'm trying to think of an equivalent,  but it was so stupid to leave it's hard without being utterly ridiculous.  It's like a football manager leaving at half time of a cup final, or the Arch Bishop of Canterbury sodding off before popping the crown on Charlie's head at the coronation. 

To leave half way through shows a complete and total lack of understanding of his job, the country and of the ceremony he disrespected. Rishi has obviously been out of touch and out of his depth,  but this is so head scratchingly awful it's hard to get my head round the decision making.

There is actually a team of people who looked at this bit of scheduling and didn't see a problem with it. These same people are running the country and are asking for us to vote for them so they can continue to do so.  If at this stage anyone can look at these people and not see a problem with voting for them... I don't even know anymore. They are colossaly pathetic and unworthy of the positions of responsibility they hold.

• Like 1

Is there anyway Sunak at this stage could stand down as PM now/before the election with an interim PM appointed? and is there any process that would allow the Tories to elect a new leader pretty much immediately?

17 minutes ago, Straggler said:

This is almost unbelievable.  Turning up for the D-day anniversary is something a leader of this country simply has to do. It's not a difficult choice, it isn't really even a choice, it's a no brainer. I'm trying to think of an equivalent,  but it was so stupid to leave it's hard without being utterly ridiculous.  It's like a football manager leaving at half time of a cup final, or the Arch Bishop of Canterbury sodding off before popping the crown on Charlie's head at the coronation. .

Prince Andrew cutting his holiday short 

18 minutes ago, Straggler said:

This is almost unbelievable.  Turning up for the D-day anniversary is something a leader of this country simply has to do. It's not a difficult choice, it isn't really even a choice, it's a no brainer. I'm trying to think of an equivalent,  but it was so stupid to leave it's hard without being utterly ridiculous.  It's like a football manager leaving at half time of a cup final, or the Arch Bishop of Canterbury sodding off before popping the crown on Charlie's head at the coronation. 

To leave half way through shows a complete and total lack of understanding of his job, the country and of the ceremony he disrespected. Rishi has obviously been out of touch and out of his depth,  but this is so head scratchingly awful it's hard to get my head round the decision making.

There is actually a team of people who looked at this bit of scheduling and didn't see a problem with it. These same people are running the country and are asking for us to vote for them so they can continue to do so.  If at this stage anyone can look at these people and not see a problem with voting for them... I don't even know anymore. They are colossaly pathetic and unworthy of the positions of responsibility they hold.

It's becoming more and more obvious every day that whatever PR team Rishi has behind him are absolutely **** useless

Skipping the 80th anniversary of D Day with world leaders present is not without precedent.

Don’t forget, Michael Foot once wore a donkey jacket whilst paying a wreath. Vote Labour and you’re back in to that sort of shit going on.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Is there anyway Sunak at this stage could stand down as PM now/before the election with an interim PM appointed? and is there any process that would allow the Tories to elect a new leader pretty much immediately?

Probably not,

but he could stand down and have someone come in as an “election leader”does all the campaigning that Rishi should, but isn’t officially the party leader as such 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Why not go the whole hog and pick Farage and rename hemselves the Conservative Reform and Unionist party?

That is there only option from utter annihilation. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

Tories play politics on easy mode. He'll get a kicking for a couple of days and then the next thing will come up. You've got to be a real threat to the money for anyone to care.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If Rishi resigns, what the f happens then? 

Edit - Looking more likely after the pool interview he's just given - his excuse is that his schedule was predetermined weeks ago before the general election was announced. It just doesn't make logical sense at all - he is floundering at a very serious level now - he surely can't get even to next week. 

Edited by Jareth

Â