The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Boris Johnson… could it happen?

Only if he decides to stand in the next 7 hours and manages to get elected (big if)

That's a no

Just now, bickster said:

Only if he decides to stand in the next 7 hours and manages to get elected (big if)

That's a no

I’d forgotten he isn’t standing again. Does the leader of the party HAVE to be an MP? I know they are sticklers for bending the rules.

Just now, Genie said:

I’d forgotten he isn’t standing again. Does the leader of the party HAVE to be an MP? I know they are sticklers for bending the rules.

Technically no, practically yes. It creates a rather difficult situation of the PM not being allowed in the commons and someone having to speak on his behalf

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Technically no, practically yes. It creates a rather difficult situation of the PM not being allowed in the commons and someone having to speak on his behalf

I bet that would suit Boris just fine 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

I bet that would suit Boris just fine 🙂 

There is of course another problem. He'd also need to be in the Lords and his party won't really be able to get him there :D 

• Haha 1

Just now, desensitized43 said:

That's not normal is it?

Could be a number of things

No, it most definitely isn't normal in a modern General Election campaign

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Tim Montgomerie, the man that started the Conservative Home website which is the Tory version of VT if you like

I'm trying to imagine a world where Jeremy Corbyn was PM and he'd left the D Day stuff early

I think he'd have been fired into the sun by now

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Could be a number of things

No, it most definitely isn't normal in a modern General Election campaign

Possibly due to the money having dried up?

39 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It's not a good look for sure. It's not "Prime Ministerial conduct".

I wouldn't get particularly angry about it. The dead don't care and in my view these events are always for the living and to make sure we don't forget the lessons of the past but I get what you say about the allied dead.

I've been very fortunate to have met some of the veterans who landed. I once spent a weekend with a para going around the sites where he and his colleagues jumped in, and he told me about the Nazi's turning telegraph poles into spikes for the paras to land on, and he saw his best friends hitting them. I've never been able to get past that. They all told me about their dead friends being the real heroes whilst they don't seek any glory, with many tears in their eyes.

I get angry about it because Rishi is treating their memory with utter contempt and ignorance. The feeling of remembrance is a very real feeling for me, and often brings me to tears for the fallen colleagues I lost in Iraq and Afghanistan. I empathize with those lost in our country's greatest moment completely. Rishi has dismissed all of those we've lost in conflict in the name of flagrant self promotion. He couldn't sink any lower.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

Could be a very short list of candidates the way this going :D 

Polling in a couple of days is going to be rather amusing I think

Seriously, it could be Liz Truss vs Pritti Patel the way its going

It would have been pretty unthinkable even a week ago, but Farage wouldn't be completely out of the question. Gets elected (pretty nailed on I reckon), immediately defects to the Tories and in the chaos emerges as one of the loudest voices. 

The biggest issue would be getting enough MPs to back him, but if it got anywhere near the membership he'd walk it Johnson-style. If not this time, I'd bet good money it would happen in time for the leader-after-next. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Possibly due to the money having dried up?

That's one of them, though I suspect it isn't that just yet

I don’t think Farage has the stomach for front line politics long term. He enjoys being the dog barking from the sidelines without being accountable for anything. I have a feeling if he gets elected he’ll quit again and go back on the private grift.

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

What on earth is going on there?

That's not normal is it?

That’s definitely not normal. 

digital advertising is now far more effective than traditional print and broadcast advertising. 

Stopping their social media advertising means either 3 things. They’re changing campaign direction, they have budget issues or they’re giving up. 

Â