The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

They do like to stuff the pockets for people that don’t want to do something so I’m expecting an incentive scheme to land soon.

On a related topic, if I were a group of Reform-leaning, northern Tory MPs and I were pretty sure that I lose my seat I'd be getting into a little group and at 3.55pm on Friday, all announce that we were leaving the Tory party, submit papers to stand for ReFUK and leave myself in a straight fight with the Labour challenger, with no time for the Tories to select an alternative.

Would look massively underhand, but nothing to lose surely? 

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

Has Richard Holden (Tory Party Chairman for those that don't know) got a seat yet, last I heard he stormed out of a selection meeting when it wasn't going his way due to local members objecting to parachuted potential candidates on the short list :D 

In other news, I noticed that Liz Truss has opposition in her seat from a former party member who resigned as Deputy Lord Lieutenant (?) of the county in January specifically because he was going to campaign against her. Supposedly well liked in the community and his faction that left the party because of dislike over Truss' extra-marital affair were known as the Turnip Taliban. Doubt it'll affect her much but those disaffected with her in the seat do have another Toryish option through which to express their dissatisfaction with her.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Has Richard Holden (Tory Party Chairman for those that don't know) got a seat yet, last I heard he stormed out of a selection meeting when it wasn't going his way due to local members objecting to parachuted potential candidates on the short list :D 

Basildon & Billericay have their selection meeting tonight, and they are holding off from announcing any candidates until 4pm today. Because under party rules (agreed 22nd May) if it's within 48 hours of the nomination deadline they only need to provide one candidate rather than multiple choices.

I've got a pretty good guess as to whom the single candidate might be.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Update (as Michael Crick has added a load more this morning)

That's still an awful lot of candidate specific literature they'll have to produce in a very short timeframe. Meanwhile Labour almost completed their slate a good while back and fully completed it last week.

Also, the Tories have literally sent out begging letters to members for donations with the threat they may not be able to produce election material in their seat if they don't get the money and also at a time when a number of large donors have refused funding because they consider they would be throwing money at an obvious defeat

6 hours ago, bickster said:

That's still an awful lot of candidate specific literature they'll have to produce in a very short timeframe. Meanwhile Labour almost completed their slate a good while back and fully completed it last week.

Also, the Tories have literally sent out begging letters to members for donations with the threat they may not be able to produce election material in their seat if they don't get the money and also at a time when a number of large donors have refused funding because they consider they would be throwing money at an obvious defeat

I would have thought  that not having crap leaflets shoved through your door would be a great incentive not to donate

• Haha 1

My local tory scum has clearly saved some printing costs by not using the word conservative on his literature.

Almost suggests they are becoming self aware.

38 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Jeremy Hunt now saying elections have to be won from the middle ground... if only they had thought of the middle ground 14 years ago

Even a couple of years ago they’d have given themselves a chance

• Like 1

15 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Jeremy Hunt now saying elections have to be won from the middle ground... if only they had thought of the middle ground 14 years ago

Also saying EVERYONE wants changes to the ECHR and that this election is about immigration

I'm not sure he knows what he's saying from one minute to the next.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

Also saying EVERYONE wants changes to the ECHR and that this election is about immigration

I'm not sure he knows what he's saying from one minute to the next.

The "immigration election" is stolen straight from Farage. Confused opportunism,  and I hope  they get absolutely spanked for it on 4th July

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

The question at the end of this interview with Holden is a classic.

Is 20,000 still considered safe? 

• Like 4

Â