The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

6 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Its Johnson, he’ll have tried to look clever: try Thanatos, Greek god of death, a minor god, rarely seen in person.

“It’s one of my kids names. The phone will erase after 5 incorrect guesses and you’ve got 45 possible answers. Farewell”

13 hours ago, desensitized43 said:

I suppose from a technical point of view they could be at the recipient end as well. It matters because it shows the utter contempt the man and the party he used to belong to have to the inquiry into the deaths of more than 100,000 Britons.

He should have been more than happy to cooperate fully but instead they all have to drag this thing out for reasons I think we can all gather.

Fine, but the only issue people have is one of belligerence then, not because they are expecting anything from the phone that isn't going to be known to the enquiry anyway? 

44 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Tories thinking of scrapping inheritance tax as a pledge on their Manifesto 

Oh it’s a manifesto pledge? I thought it was something they were going to do before the election as a cynical bribe. That’s even worse. Anyone who believes they will actually do that is **** stupid.

I think its only right in these challenging times that those with wealth have it protected.

It’s the right thing to do. If we can’t feed schoolchildren then at the very least we have to protect the property millionaires.

It’s about decency at the end of the day.

Edited by chrisp65

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I think its only right in these challenging times that those with wealth have it protected.

It’s the right thing to do. If we can’t feed schoolchildren then at the very least we have to protect the property millionaires.

Those with wealth already have it protected, they use trusts and stuff to avoid taxes. People with little wealth don’t pay it either. So that just leaves the middle folk, not poor, not rich who pay it. Like with income tax I suppose. Oh and when Mrs Queen died, I don’t think Charles King or William Prince or any of them had to pay tax on the shiny hats and big Castles and Palaces n’that.

So it seems like a tax on people not rich enough to engage the services of an accountant, but rich enough to own a house.

There’s probably a better way to do it. Sweden got rid of it and replaced it with a different system didn’t they?

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, blandy said:

Those with wealth already have it protected, they use trusts and stuff to avoid taxes. People with little wealth don’t pay it either. So that just leaves the middle folk, not poor, not rich who pay it. Like with income tax I suppose. Oh and when Mrs Queen died, I don’t think Charles King or William Prince or any of them had to pay tax on the shiny hats and big Castles and Palaces n’that.

So it seems like a tax on people not rich enough to engage the services of an accountant, but rich enough to own a house.

There’s probably a better way to do it. Sweden got rid of it and replaced it with a different system didn’t they?

If you inherit a million pound house, you can sell it, move to a perfectly decent place, buy a new car, have a little holiday as a reward and have £700,000 in the bank.

If this government were talking about wholesale tax reform that would be very different. They’re discussing how many votes they would get by not taxing the inheritance of a million pound house.

Not taxing that because we don’t tax hereditary monarchs or private schools feels a bit the wrong way around.

But yeah, as I say, better we preserve that than feed the kids, or de shit the sea, or recruit some care workers.

This country wants a low tax economy AND someone to wipe grandad’s arse whilst cashing in grandad’s house. 

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Im not wealthy but because house prices are ridiculously high but whoever it was left to would be left be a massive bill.

Chris where do you live and what is the value of your property? Im assuming this doesnt effect you as you seem opposed to it?

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I agree the middle class get **** on this not just the rich.

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not wealthy but because house prices are ridiculously high but whoever it was left to would be left be a massive bill.

How much do you think the bill would be?

Inheritance tax affects such a tiny amount of people there's arguments that can be made either way - either it needs to be heavily firmed up to actually be an effective as it's too easy to avoid for a large portion of the small overall percentage it effects, or you ditch it because its so small and ineffective there's little point keeping it.

• Like 1

I agree with @chrisp65. It is like with a lot of taxes some people want low taxes and high quality public services. You aren't getting both though.

The trouble under the Tories has been that we have high taxes and public services being decimated as they have pissed money up the wall with many of their family/friends/donors being beneficiaries and have at the same time failed to grow the economy. People should be absolutely livid with the bastards that they are paying high taxes and getting crap public services. 

The answer isn't to start to cut taxes though for those of us who can afford them. The answer is to ensure you have a government who will spend those taxes most wisely and for the benefit of all of us. 

I have ever since I can remember thought anyone with a reasonable income should be more than happy to pay a decent percentage of your income in tax to put into the collective pot for good public services for all and a decent welfare safety net (especially for those most in need amongst us). I am more than happy for that to include taking a chunk from whatever assets I leave behind. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Of course it effects me, if the government are going to take in less tax, then services get cut.

There appears to be a disconnect, people don’t want to be taxed, but they do want services and they do want teachers, nurses and prison officers to be paid and they want to hand grandad over to social services so someone else can wipe his arse.

If you have a million pound house and leave it to your kids, they still get £800,000.

If they get the full million that’s fine. What services are you cutting?

How do they pay the tax amount on that value chris? Or lets just say its one sibling who works 9-5 job at mcdonalds how does he pay that bill? Has to sell the house most likely

Or lets say there is 4 kids divide that you dont get much for you money. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â