The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Shell do set the price, within the limits of what the market dictates and their budgets. They are more than welcome to take a hit on their bottom line and sell their product cheaper and shout from the rooftops about petrol stations and individual franchises ripping us off by putting a premium on a Shell made product. 

Instead of doing that, it seems like massive corporations are now trying to suck up to the left wingers across the world to show how humanitarian they are. They can f off in my opinion. If you want to help the poorest, demand for your franchises to sell petrol cheaper. I am not a left winger, but I am amazed how money grabbing corporations now seem to set out they PR to please the idealists while in fact they bend them over on daily basis. But yeah, Shell looks soooo good by saying 'tax us, tax us!'. 

I don’t think that’s correct tbh. It goes against the entire reason why the world has the problems we do.

The supply and demand calculator determines the global price. At no point has anyone in any government or organisations like the EU suggested they just lower the price. It breaks the fundamentals the market is built on. 

9 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

One thing that strikes me, is that as a politician she is actually really experienced. Videos of her being politically engaged as youth at the Lib Dem conference are well known but she’s been an MP for 12 years, 10 of which she has been a part of the government in one way or another. She should know how to do things properly and have picked up some of the tactics of her predecessors.

What this (and every action to date) shows,  is actually she is completely and utterly inept at the job. She either hasn’t paid attention, can’t be bothered or is actually really, really stupid.

Just give me more of the Tory infighting, the only way it would be better if they weren’t actually in power and screwing over the country.

Exactly my thoughts too. She should be like a duck to water, rolling off any old drivel to move the conversation on. 

She does the opposite, creates negative stories about herself and her government by not being able to think and talk at the same time.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

I don’t think that’s correct tbh. It goes against the entire reason why the world has the problems we do.

The supply and demand calculator determines the global price. At no point has anyone in any government or organisations like the EU suggested they just lower the price. It breaks the fundamentals the market is built on. 

Don't get me wrong - it's not like Shell will sell their product for a 50% discount. Just like farmers don't, just like other manufacturers don't. They work in market constraints, they have their budgets and have their investors pushing for more profits. 

The price is set by the market as you rightly point out, but there is no reason why Shell can't go slightly below market value to compete against others. The truth is, they don't have to. Shell, BP, and other corporations (regardless of industry) are there to squeeze every penny out of their customers. They are not a charity, and they don't give a shit about a single mother having to spend £100 to fill up her car instead of £80. 

What I don't like is massive corporations, who all work together and their CEO's drink whisky together to carve the world just a bit thinner to squeeze more money out trying to be appear humanitarian. F them. 

And it's not like the world governments don't have a long history of f****** with the markets. 

If the left wing, humanitarian and caring side of this world is supported by massive capitalist corporations who talk about injustices while reaping record breaking profits, you know something is wrong.

16 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

The price is set by the market as you rightly point out, but there is no reason why Shell can't go slightly below market value to compete against others.

I think this is entirely the point of a central market price, to stop them competing against each other. They can’t even if they wanted to.

Anyway, off track as I don’t think this relates to the circus running our country right now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We're heading for a recession like no other next year. 

I think the Tories are literally betting everything with the mini budget to stave off recession this year in the hope that the rest of the world recovers more quickly than us so we can ride their coat tails.

1 minute ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I think the Tories are literally betting everything with the mini budget to stave off recession this year in the hope that the rest of the world recovers more quickly than us so we can ride their coat tails.

But the mini budget won't / can't work. It's like betting that you can stem the bleeding of a bullet wound by stabbing yourself. Everything they do makes us bleed out faster. The best thing they can do to save the country is call a GE and get out of the way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Straggler said:

But the mini budget won't / can't work. It's like betting that you can stem the bleeding of a bullet wound by stabbing yourself. Everything they do makes us bleed out faster. The best thing they can do to save the country is call a GE and get out of the way.

But they’ll be able to say they didn’t die from the bullet wound, and claim it as some kind of success.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Straggler said:

This x1000.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If anyone wants a laugh, Truss’ speech is due to start in 30 mins. Apparently she’s going to take the stage to the backdrop of a 90’s hit song - what are the chance’s it’s D-ream; Things can only get better?

Fingers crossed it's "Creep" by Radiohead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Don't get me wrong - it's not like Shell will sell their product for a 50% discount. Just like farmers don't, just like other manufacturers don't. They work in market constraints, they have their budgets and have their investors pushing for more profits. 

The price is set by the market as you rightly point out, but there is no reason why Shell can't go slightly below market value to compete against others. The truth is, they don't have to. Shell, BP, and other corporations (regardless of industry) are there to squeeze every penny out of their customers. They are not a charity, and they don't give a shit about a single mother having to spend £100 to fill up her car instead of £80. 

What I don't like is massive corporations, who all work together and their CEO's drink whisky together to carve the world just a bit thinner to squeeze more money out trying to be appear humanitarian. F them. 

And it's not like the world governments don't have a long history of f****** with the markets. 

If the left wing, humanitarian and caring side of this world is supported by massive capitalist corporations who talk about injustices while reaping record breaking profits, you know something is wrong.

You are confusing petrol forecourts with extraction of resources. Petrol forecourts are an irrelevance here, it isn't where the money is being made. Firstly most forecourts are franchises (EG being the biggest owner) but anyway, that is a distraction

The extractors sell in fuel exchanges like the European Energy Exchange, the market here dictates the price of fuel to the energy generators at power stations etc

Extraction companies like Shell can't sell at anything other than the market rate for two main reasons, the market is there to regulate the prices and secondly the boards of directors have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders and selling off exchange below the market rate would absolutely leave them open to being sued by the shareholders (that's likely to be you and I if you have a pension) for not looking after the shareholders interests. That is why recovering their excess profits must be done by a statutory instrument like a windfall tax as that absolves the Boards of Directors from their responsibilities.

If journalists were being responsible, they'd explain all that but no, they put a picture of a shell forecourt in the image because its easy

• Like 2

15 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Since furlough Martin Lewis has been more and more vocal in terms of government policy. A lot of Tories have been trying to make this benefits inflation increase a divisive issue and he is once again showing them for what they are. He is proving a very important voice in the fight against the Tories as people who may be anti Labour, and won't take in what they say, will listen to him.

He's excellent. He's got himself such a reputation on money saving ideas over the years that it's almost like he's the definitive voice when it comes to these issues. Politicians just can't argue against what he says because people will believe Lewis

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If anyone wants a laugh, Truss’ speech is due to start in 30 mins. Apparently she’s going to take the stage to the backdrop of a 90’s hit song - what are the chance’s it’s D-ream; Things can only get better?

BBC just suggested it is Movin’ On Up. I can just imagine Bobby Gillespie’s reaction if it is. 

4 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

They set the prices at their forecourts and haven't been dropping those to protect poor people and help them save money. 

How does that help people who can't afford a car or petrol?

Edited by fightoffyour

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â