The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

In theory that sounds fine, but you know that once you open that door, within a few years the Tories will have made it exactly like the USA where only the rich can afford treatment and treatment costs 10x what it should really cost.

I mean they're kind of doing that already, if you look at how much expenditure on private healthcare has increased over the last 12 years. It's really bad.

The key thing about the German model is that below a certain level of earnings (about €60k), it's a compulsory state-provided, non-profit insurance system. Then above that level you have the option to go private.

It's not a panacea, but it would take some of the sting out of the debate I think. You'd still have free-at-the-point-of-use healthcare in an emergency, and affordable healthcare for people who need it.

Problem with our current NHS model is that it keeps getting caught up in fiscal debates between Labour and Tories. So we alternate between well-funded NHS under Labour, and destroyed NHS under Tories. That won't end unless we change the model or keep the Tories out of power indefinitely.

Edited by KentVillan

Sam Freedman worked in Education under Gove, but is Labour-leaning himself. Generally has pretty good instincts on politics IMO and is well-informed.

I do think it would have to be a Labour Govt that introduced this kind of reform, though. The Tories (rightly) just don't have the trust among public or medical workers to implement something like this.

Edited by KentVillan

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Sam Freedman worked in Education under Gove, but is Labour-leaning himself. Generally has pretty good instincts on politics IMO and is well-informed.

I do think it would have to be a Labour Govt that introduced this kind of reform, though. The Tories (rightly) just don't have the trust among public or medical workers to implement something like this.

It'll never come in here. NHS is far too political to touch. Easier for Conservatives to just leave it. Labour wouldn't dream of doing anything but additional funding. 

We're too far down the road on the system it's not going to change

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Rightly or wrongly, Labour bringing that in could genuinely just end them as a credible political party.

The problem is the level of taxation required to properly fund the NHS will also cost them elections to the Tories in perpetuity.

If we want a quality health system the only options are more tax (like Sweden) or a social insurance model (like Germany).

If we can push towards something more like the Swedish model, then great, but to me that seems even less likely than introducing social insurance. It would require a totally different fiscal consensus.

Tbf, maybe Truss is going to **** the Tories and the low-tax model so hard, that the public will be more amenable to higher taxes. I just don't see it. Too many British people don't like paying tax even when it's used to fund things that make their life better.

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I hope the council delouses and  fully fumigates the city centre once they leave. 

I went for a walk round Centenary Square at lunch time. 

Surprisingly little going on. A fairly foaming at the mouth god botherer was the main entertainment. 

The Government have been saying we’ll be fine haven’t they?

The UK is facing "a significant risk" of gas shortages this winter, according to the industry regulator, which could impact electricity supplies.

Ofgem said due to Russia's war with Ukraine, there is a possibility the UK could enter a "gas supply emergency".

This would lead to supplies being cut to power stations which use gas to generate the country's electricity.

It places firms at risk of running out of money because of huge charges they pay if they cannot deliver electricity.

Gas-fired power stations generate between 40% and 60% of the UK's electricity.

Sometimes I wonder if they are not really all that trustworthy.

BBC

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This ‘new’ government is just going to unravel isn’t it? Can anyone see Truss serving the full remainder of her term? 

They have no idea what they’re doing.

Nope. I think there will be huge pressure for her to resign before Christmas.

None of them have it in them not to **** up something every few days.

6 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

This ‘new’ government is just going to unravel isn’t it? Can anyone see Truss serving the full remainder of her term? 

They have no idea what they’re doing.

I think it's a really unique situation.

• She has no real electoral mandate, because her party were voted in on a very different manifesto.
  • She only has minority support from her own MPs.
  • Public opinion is against her as evidenced by polls throughout the leadership campaign and since she took office.

If you look at other PMs in recent memory who took over mid-term (Major, Brown, May, Johnson) they were either a continuation of the previous govt (Major, Brown, arguably May) or had initial public support for their big policy shift (May via the Brexit referendum, Johnson because he had very high approval ratings).

And both May and Johnson called elections within a year of taking over.

If Truss thinks she can stick this out until late 2024, she's surely delusional. The public have already turned on her big time, and her MPs will know they won't be rewarded for loyalty. Surely they will move against her in short order?

14 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

If Truss thinks she can stick this out until late 2024, she's surely delusional. The public have already turned on her big time, and her MPs will know they won't be rewarded for loyalty. Surely they will move against her in short order?

While the whole thing feels hilariously unsustainable, I still don't really see the mechanism by which it happens.

She has no reason to resign. She's doing the exact thing that she said she was going to when she was elected. If you were her, why would you?

If MPs move against her (and in the current rules they can't for another eleven months), then they will just have the same problem in reverse. Parachute Gove / Sunak in without involving the members, and you'll just end up with the Truss half of the party blocking everything, but with the added bonus of having the membership furious at you. 

Involve the members, and it's another month or more long process, with the country wondering why it's happening all over again and you probably end up with Johnson back. There isn't anyone that they will unite behind, given the bloodletting of the summer.

Decide your agenda is being blocked, and call an election? They'd be wiped out.

I can't see how she gets anything (of note) through the Commons and I can't see how they get rid of her. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â