The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah well, at least it didn't have any serious and long term damaging effects on the economy during the brief period they believed in it.

Indeed… 

What this has shown is either

a) they have absolutely no idea what they are doing; 

b) they have no idea what the country wants;

c) they are only in government for their backers to the extent that they will ruin the economy for everyone else; or

d) all 3.

Thankfully it doesn’t appear that they have got the support in their own party for the truly crazy stuff, but it will still mean some bonkers stuff will get passed through. Hopefully it‘ll be over by Christmas but I have my doubts.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Ah well, at least it didn't have any serious and long term damaging effects on the economy during the brief period they believed in it.

Exactly, I think the other measures are good. The reversal of the NI rise and the 1p cut to base rate tax from April next year. It will also mean whatever cuts they've planned for public expenditure will be less now they reversed the 45p rate cut

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Exactly, I think the other measures are good. The reversal of the NI rise and the 1p cut to base rate tax from April next year. It will also mean whatever cuts they've planned for public expenditure will be less now they reversed the 45p rate cut

Really? If you think the NI rise wasn't needed you've obviously been nowhere near the NHS lately. It's desperately desperately needed and scrapping that upsets me more than the 45p thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

No it doesn’t, public spending cuts are ideological not necessary 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Kwarteng says the abolition of the 45% take rate is a terrible distraction…

“Idea” I think he means, it’s a terrible idea.

He needs English and economics lessons.

No, he meant what he said. He will never admit it was a terrible idea. Again, it’s was ideological. They will revisit it at some point and that is exactly what he is signalling to his chums

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Really? If you think the NI rise wasn't needed you've obviously been nowhere near the NHS lately. It's desperately desperately needed and scrapping that upsets me more than the 45p thing.

I think the rise is needed yes, but not right now. We're heading into a recession with inflation at 10%. Raising taxes as you head into recession isn't the right time for this.

If we want to get into it further I think progressive sugar tax should also to help fund NHS

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

No, he meant what he said. He will never admit it was a terrible idea. Again, it’s was ideological. They will revisit it at some point and that is exactly what he is signalling to his chums

I can’t see him getting away with it between now and when they are booted out.

Just now, Genie said:

I can’t see him getting away with it between now and when they are booted out.

Won’t stop them trying it again. It’s again more ideologically driven than anything. They’ll move the thresholds north next and that will potentially cost the exchequer more in the long run.

52 minutes ago, choffer said:

When I saw the clip yesterday, he definitely looked like it was purposefully done and he was enjoying every minute if it.

I walked past there on Saturday with the family. Not when anyone significant was there but a there were some cameras there interviewing, I felt I had to say **** the Torys a few time to my wife just to avoid any embarrassment by association if I ended up being recorded in the background. There weren't many protesters at that point, just near the library so couldn't blend in with them.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Let's at least be happy the 45p cut has been scrapped. It also weakens this government. We need to be calm and wait but they will be gone soon

The general election is nearly 2 years away, a lot can happen. A year ago nobody cared about Ukraine and energy bills were normal. 

I would take all opinion polls with a pinch of salt as they tend to favour progressive parties. Look at the Brazilian presidential result last night, Lula's lead is less than half than what was predicted. 

58 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This was hammered by the opposition and most government detractors as raising the tax burden during a cost of living crisis when first implemented.  Not sure what your original opinion was but I can't in my right mind suddenly switch to  saying they shouldn't have scrapped it now.

The levy was put in place to plug the gaps of their own mispend and spaffing on private contracts.  I read that 3 years would recover around 40 billion, about what they wasted on track and trace.

Edited by Wainy316

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â