The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

20 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

A council made up of actual leading experts in the various sub-fields of government that rotates in personnel regularly? 

Would probably make it tougher to get things done but at least it would remove the need for career politicians.

The end of Democracy then. They might be a bunch of words removed, but they are ultimately answerable to us. Your alternative is too open to abuse. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, meregreen said:

The end of Democracy then. They might be a bunch of words removed, but they are ultimately answerable to us. Your alternative is too open to abuse. 

Maybe, although the ‘council’ members would still have to be elected in through some means or another, I dunno, I haven’t really fleshed it out to be honest. 

Can’t be any worse than a system which ends up with leaders such as Trump, Johnson or Truss though can it?

She is utterly terrible isn't she?! So utterly wooden and dull. She is going to be destroyed in PMQs/interviews/debates and will simply say the thing that she thinks she needs to in order to get more votes. Zero integrity, zero morals, zero prinicples. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Maybe, although the ‘council’ members would still have to be elected in through some means or another, I dunno, I haven’t really fleshed it out to be honest. 

Can’t be any worse than a system which ends up with leaders such as Trump, Johnson or Truss though can it?

If they are “elected” through the electorate, then they are by definition, politicians. Many current MPs have other occupations now, something I have never approved of. As Churchill once said, Democracy is the worst form of Government, apart from all the others. I once attended a talk given by the late Tony Benn, a man much vilified by the Tory press, but someone I personally always admired. He said that he would always think of a politician “ What power have you got, where did you get it from, in whose interests do you wield it, to whom are you accountable, and how can we get rid of you”. That last one struck me as being most important. Flawed though many of the individuals we elect may be. The system of the people choosing their representatives, is the most precious right we have.

I don't know what we are worried about, she seems to know everything about everything. I thought Zahawi was smart, secretary of state for education, to chancellor?

Liz Truss knows it all though:

Secretary of state for childcare and education

Secretary of state for food and rural affairs

Secretary of state for Justice Lord Chancellor

Chief secretary to the treasury

Secretary of state for international trade President of the board of trade

Minister for women and equalities

Secretary for foreign commonwealth and development affairs

Prime Minister.

How the hell are they even qualified to get all these jobs????

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I had my stag do there. Accidentally ended up in a gay nightclub (i'm straight btw), and none of our party twigged it was such until about 2 weeks after we got back. In retrospect the looped playlist of Madonna songs should have tipped us off, but we were long gone mentally by that point. Interesting place!!

200.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, cyrusr said:

She is utterly terrible isn't she?! So utterly wooden and dull. She is going to be destroyed in PMQs/interviews/debates and will simply say the thing that she thinks she needs to in order to get more votes. Zero integrity, zero morals, zero prinicples. 

Really a continuation of a tradition perfected by Boris -- she's largely a simulation of integrity rather than integrity itself -- a simulation of principles rather than principles themselves -- a simulation of "character" and personality rather than real character and personality. That's what I see.

So far, the reaction over here in the USA has been that she's a bit of a lightweight and so obvious in her dated Thatcherism stylings. It's embarrassing, and says it all about Post-Brexit Britain in 2022. I feel sorry for the UK, but at least you're not in the toilet of violence and insanity that is the USA at the moment. I'd rather than Truss than Trump, any day.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â