The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

What I want to know is why the owner of BHS is hiding in Monte Carlo, sending her husband to answer questions on her behalf. 

I thought Qatar owned BHS now ?

I agree with Dave

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/oct/23/cant-we-agree-to-just-not-have-heathrow-at-all-third-runway-expansion

Is climate change still happening? You don’t hear so much about it, do you? It’s like the Doctor Who reboot – I presume it’s still going on, but it’s struggling to stay in the headlines. These days it’s all Bake Off, Trump, Isis and Poldark.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, darrenm said:

go back to your tree Swampy

Should have built it years ago , though personally I think Gatwick would have been the better choice

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, snowychap said:

As the government has just announced the approval of the third runway at Heathrow, I guess its working majority should be reduced to 15 by the end of the day.

I dunno how many of them have an actual conscience, though. Maybe 1 of them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

1 of them.

That's the reduction (i.e. Goldsmith).

I doubt Greening and Boris will be handing in resignations. Good job that cabinet collective responsibility has become a thing o the past. :D

Edited by snowychap

I wouldn't have expected it from Goldsmith. Well done to him.

At least future generations will know that we did what we needed to for our economy while they struggle for clean air and their homes disappear under the ocean. :) 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A no 10 spokeperson has confirmed it was a unanimous decision despite Boris striding out and confirming he'd continue to oppose it. What a turd of a human being.

From what Paul Waugh tweeted, it suggests just that there was no dissent from Boris in the cabinet meeting (though Greening and Boris have been 'allowed' to object to it) - not that he has anything to do with the decision (that's down to the Economic Affairs (Airports) Sub-cCommittee):

His other comments suggest that their dispensation to object doesn't allow for any dissent in cabinet or HOC. I suppose shouting at BBC reporters is all they're allowed to do. :)

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

Ah, that gives a different impression to the report I read, curious that there was no discussion in the cabinet and that the decision on such a maor issue has been taken solely by this sub committee. I can't find a list of who's actually on this committee.

Edit: Oh, here we go, May chairs it, the other members are:

Philip Hammond, (Chancellor),  Greg Clark, (Business and Energy Secretary), Andrea Leadsom, (Environment Secretary), David Mundell, (Scottish Secretary), and the chief whip Gavin Williamson

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Ah, that gives a different impression to the report I read, curious that there was no discussion in the cabinet and that the decision on such a maor issue has been taken solely by this sub committee. I can't find a list of who's actually on this committee.

Edit: Oh, here we go, May chairs it, the other members are:

Philip Hammond, (Chancellor),  Greg Clark, (Business and Energy Secretary), Andrea Leadsom, (Environment Secretary), David Mundell, (Scottish Secretary), and the chief whip Gavin Williamson

Ah, good job. I was having a look for the new lot and had no luck - all I could find were the members as the sub-committee was under Cameron before he ran away to do 'charidee'.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

Who was that man who promised "No ifs, no buts, no third runway" used to be leader of the tories, shiny ham-faced, lying incompetent nobwit type of chap? name slips me.....

Not sure but I think I thought I saw him hugging a chap in a hoodie in Aston the other day, or was that Stratford.... I forget....

• Like 1

May quite strongly believes we shouldn't leave the single market as she told American bankers before the referendum https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/25/exclusive-leaked-recording-shows-what-theresa-may-really-thinks-about-brexit

“I think being part of a 500-million trading bloc is significant for us. I think, as I was saying to you a little earlier, that one of the issues is that a lot of people will invest here in the UK because it is the UK in Europe.

“If we were not in Europe, I think there would be firms and companies who would be looking to say: do they need to develop a mainland presence rather than a UK presence? So I think there are definite benefits for us in economic terms.”

So why is she keeping quiet about it now?

She's obeying the will of the British people. By which she means the will of the British people, on one specific day, after being lied to continuously for months, and which had a 1.9% swing vote.

If that's not enough to stake the country's future on, I don't know what is.

Â