The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Meanwhile JRM has filmed a fly on the wall documentary about his election year in including scenes at home involving wife and kids to be called Meet The Moggs. 

No really. 

• Haha 3

My initial suspicion is that Badenoch was the one that leaked it.

Trying to make herself look tough, telling it how it is, and of course, a very harsh criticism of a rival for the leadership hidden behind the plausibility of a "private conversation"

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

My initial suspicion is that Badenoch was the one that leaked it.

Trying to make herself look tough, telling it how it is, and of course, a very harsh criticism of a rival for the leadership hidden behind the plausibility of a "private conversation"

Well yes, I think most observers thought the same which makes it all the funnier tbh.

Braverman does appear to be way down the list of people to take over right now. If I was to speculate at this time, the final two are likely to be Badenoch and Tugendhat, with Badenoch being the winner in the membership vote but it seems we have a long time between now and then for the rats in the sack to take further lumps out of each other

All jolly good sport :D 

23 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well yes, I think most observers thought the same which makes it all the funnier tbh.

Braverman does appear to be way down the list of people to take over right now. If I was to speculate at this time, the final two are likely to be Badenoch and Tugendhat, with Badenoch being the winner in the membership vote but it seems we have a long time between now and then for the rats in the sack to take further lumps out of each other

All jolly good sport :D 

Apart from Braverman's crazy star waning slightly, nothing's changed that makes me think this nine-month old take isn't still the right one. 

On 06/10/2023 at 13:49, ml1dch said:

James Cleverley is the closest they have. Clearly doing his best to keep all of the lunatic fringes on his side, popular with the members etc. I reckon if the final two were him and Badenoch he'd lose, him and Braverman he'd win. 

Unless something strange happens, I'd expect those three to be the people in the conversation though.

Yeah, I just don’t see Tugendhat being a front-runner in this leadership contest. Feels like the Tories will be more like Labour and first go more extreme (right/left respectively) and then tack center after that fails and the current government has started to drift.

Edited by Panto_Villan

12 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Apart from Braverman's crazy star waning slightly, nothing's changed that makes me think this nine-month old take isn't still the right one. 

Yes Cleverly could overtake Tugendhat in the left right split. Badenoch will still win with the members though

When this topic was named, it was meant to be satirical in name, but yesterday I heard that Braverman had said that the Tories were responsible for “mutilating children”.

She’s got as much chance of being their leaderine as I have.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yes Cleverly could overtake Tugendhat in the left right split. Badenoch will still win with the members though

Well, yes. Just as I said nine months ago.

34 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Well, yes. Just as I said nine months ago.

I think the only place we disagree is Cleverly / Tugendhat. I see Tugendhat ahead at this stage. I also think there's a chance Cleverly might sit it our eventually as the first owner of the job is certainly on a poisoned chalice and Cleverly more so than Tugendhat

47 minutes ago, blandy said:

When this topic was named, it was meant to be satirical in name, but yesterday I heard that Braverman had said that the Tories were responsible for “mutilating children”.

She’s got as much chance of being their leaderine as I have.

I listened to a few (admittedly selected) clips of her recent talk at some right wing institute. It was a little scary because any sane person would presume it was an AI parody of right wing conspiracy theory garbled rubbish like some drugs come down.

In fairness to Badenoch, it would be fair to describe it as a breakdown.

19 minutes ago, bickster said:

I think the only place we disagree is Cleverly / Tugendhat. I see Tugendhat ahead at this stage. I also think there's a chance Cleverly might sit it our eventually as the first owner of the job is certainly on a poisoned chalice and Cleverly more so than Tugendhat

To my eye, Tugendhat hasn't done enough to keep the right close. Cleverley (maybe more by luck than judgement just by being Home Secretary) has been out every week banging on about how great Rwanda is and talking up all the stuff that the right of the party love.

And I think the left of the party (being the less stupid side of the party) would probably rally behind the person who could actually win - and the members would definitely pick Cleverley over Tugendhat. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

and the members would definitely pick Cleverley over Tugendha

Fairly sure I saw membership polling (YouGov maybe) that said the exact opposite of that but both were a good way down the polling with Badenoch the clear favourite amongst members

The other thing with Braverman's speech is she was blaming liberalism (small L)... does she realise which party she's actually in? I'm not even sure she understands the L word and what the party she's in has stood for since forever.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Fairly sure I saw membership polling (YouGov maybe) that said the exact opposite of that but both were a good way down the polling with Badenoch the clear favourite amongst members

You could well be right - it's definitely not something I'd be putting money on. 

Cleverley just feels like the sort of character that they coalesce around. And Tugendhat feels like a bit like the perennial "always stands and always gets knocked out in about round three" role that Liam Fox had for a while. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â