The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

He wasn’t actually running that campaign though. That was farage, wasn’t it? Regardless, I don’t think that’s a particularly fair stick to beat sunak with and it’s one he’d find pretty easy to squirm a way out of.

Theres plenty of other much more recent promises that would be really easy to go after him for

pretty much any of his 5 “pledges”

The complete abandonment of “levelling up”

Immigration down to “tens of thousands”

Every single public service on its arse

local councils going bust through lack of funding

Liz truss (nuff said)

massive covid fraud that’s gone completely uninvestigated

That’s just stuff off the top of my head.

3 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

He wasn’t actually running that campaign though. That was farage, wasn’t it?

Nope, Gisela Stuart, Matthew Elliot, Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings were the key people in charge of Vote Leave. 

39 minutes ago, sidcow said:

A proper journalist should ask for a list to be published.

Whilst we're at it where is the extra £350m a week being spent in the NHS? 

Total spending for the Department of Health and Social Care in 2023 was £181bn, in 2015 it was £147bn.

Weekly, that's an increase of around £653m.

14 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

massive covid fraud that’s gone completely uninvestigated

My brother in law is a tradesman, for some reason whenever I see him he goes on and on about all the people he knows that made a fortune from the covid loans. Small businesses self certifying that they had multimillion turn overs to get tens of thousands in cash before winding the company up and restarting a new one.

(he definitely has a slice of the action but claims he didn’t).

48 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Nope, Gisela Stuart, Matthew Elliot, Michael Gove and Dominic Cummings were the key people in charge of Vote Leave. 

Indeed. Nigel was very careful to keep his hands clean of that, I'll never forget the absolute disbelief of some talking heads interviewing him the morning after the result and him saying "well, I never said that...". He sure did make sure not to distance himself or question it before the vote, though.

It's one of the key failures of the Brexit referendum, it was never a single thing, it was "vote for change", with grifters offering the electorate a whole smorgasbord of reasons they should vote leave to achieve their own personal utopias, with no concern that many of their promises were mutually exclusive. 

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

He wasn’t actually running that campaign though. That was farage, wasn’t it?

I think Farage winding back on that promise the day the Brexit result was announced was probably peak British Politics. And not in a good way

1 hour ago, Genie said:

My brother in law is a tradesman, for some reason whenever I see him he goes on and on about all the people he knows that made a fortune from the covid loans. Small businesses self certifying that they had multimillion turn overs to get tens of thousands in cash before winding the company up and restarting a new one.

(he definitely has a slice of the action but claims he didn’t).

Company I work for furloughed pretty much everyone and when I became a manager of the company in the last 12 months I could see in the accounting that there were massive, and I mean massive dividend payouts while everyone was furloughed...what went on was absolutely disgusting.

• Like 1

More gold from the Tories today. James Cleverly saying they’ll impose a cap on the number of migrants, but won’t say what the cap is, but does say there will be plenty of exemptions from the cap. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

More gold from the Tories today. James Cleverly saying they’ll impose a cap on the number of migrants, but won’t say what the cap is, but does say there will be plenty of exemptions from the cap. 

Pretty much what Farage said as well, see Farage phrases it as Net Zero immigration which makes it sound like he's letting no-one in but in fact he's letting in an many as leave and he even added a caveat of the will of course be exemptions (I think he mentioned agricultural workers)

Farage's supporters won't see that but they'll hear what Cleverly says as they are letting in lots of immigrants, so will Farage but he just phrases it differently

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It’s pretty same as now then.

The people that come here are ones which are allowed / needed plus those that come on boats and other illegal means.

What will they do differently to today? Turn people away that we need? nope. If they could stop the boats they would have done. If they could deport them somewhere legally they would have done.

Maybe they will incentivise Brits to leave to help balance the numbers. 

Edited by Genie

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

Maybe they will incentivise Brits to leave to help balance the numbers. 

The throbbers can all relocate to Benidorm. 

Oh wait, Brexit... 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The throbbers can all relocate to Benidorm. 

Oh wait, Brexit... 

Yes, not only have they shown that they cannot control who comes to the UK, or remove them once they arrive they also made it much harder for people to leave the UK and relocate elsewhere in Europe.

So it’s no surprise the net migration number is going up and up and up.

Edited by Genie

Posted (edited)

It's not because more people aren't leaving, it's because non-EU immigration has more than trebled since 2019 and is far higher than EU immigration ever was.

Who'd have voted for that if it was on the side of a bus? :)

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's not because more people aren't leaving, it's because non-EU immigration has more than trebled since 2019 and is far higher than EU immigration ever was.

Who'd have voted for that if it was on the side of a bus? :)

Yeah, I get that, but they cannot reduce the number than come to the UK, if they could then they would have.

If they want a low “net” number they need to encourage people to leave somehow (but they won’t do that either).

A problem made entirely of the British politicians making.

They were told that leaving the EU meant we could no longer send the illegals back to the point at which they entered the EU. This would inevitably mean a huge backlog of those seeking to stay. It was there in full view, what the consequences would be. And still they believed the likes of Farage. The sheer stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, meregreen said:

They were told that leaving the EU meant we could no longer send the illegals back to the point at which they entered the EU. This would inevitably mean a huge backlog of those seeking to stay. It was there in full view, what the consequences would be. And still they believed the likes of Farage. The sheer stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. 

Combine with making it harder for people to retire to France and Spain, work in Germany, study in Italy etc etc 

All inevitable, and all created by the politicians now promising to fix it when they clearly can’t, otherwise they would’ve already.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â