The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

Welcome to the resurgence of the LibDems (who are much closer politically to traditional Tory voters than the current party)

I agree with your assessment of Labour but by the third term the LibDems will be the official opposition. Tory Party once they've lost will get more toxic and their current voter demographics are completely against them.

You could be right (and I hope you are) however this depends on how bi-partisan the country will become. Give it a couple more years of Americanisation of the public - which is something I think Tories will depend on - and all of a sudden a lot of voters might only see the two options.

3rd term is more than 10 years away. And that's a loooong time in politics, and a lot of influence on TickTock or Facebook. 

I hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me! 

Is this a decent move internally from Sunak in trying to further isolate the nutcase element and strengthen his ties with what might be considered "normal" Conservatives - y'know, persuade us he wasn't part of the madness and is instead a return to something nicer?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is this a decent move internally from Sunak in trying to further isolate the nutcase element and strengthen his ties with what might be considered "normal" Conservatives - y'know, persuade us he wasn't part of the madness and is instead a return to something nicer?

It's probably not a bad move. Don't really see it changing things massively though. 

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This is surely just Sunak realising, probably too late, that he needs to be in the centre ground come the next election. 

That's definitely what it is. If he's smart he'll announce the election ASAP as well and give the nutters on the right of the party no time to start lobbing grenades.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Being unable to attend to face questions from your shadow minister and the house should immediately disqualify someone from being a cabinet minister.

Couldn’t they get the King to sign a waiver to that rule too?

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

This is surely just Sunak realising, probably too late, that he needs to be in the centre ground come the next election. 

Its mostly just getting him out of a hole. He needed to bin his home secretary and didn't have enough faith/trust in anyone else to bring in a new face, made worse because he's in a feeble position, so he's shuffled around the figures he had in place already until the least concerning 'big seat', foreign secretary, was open and has then parachuted in a 'neutral' figure to fill it.

It probably does play well with some elements of the party, but that's not really enough or what has driven the decision, it's just a nice bonus. Which might also harm him more than it benefits - there's a lot of Tories that would view Cameron being brought in as a bad thing. He's not of the rabid culture war populist arm that's festered in his wake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mic09 said:

You could be right (and I hope you are) however this depends on how bi-partisan the country will become. Give it a couple more years of Americanisation of the public - which is something I think Tories will depend on - and all of a sudden a lot of voters might only see the two options.

3rd term is more than 10 years away. And that's a loooong time in politics, and a lot of influence on TickTock or Facebook. 

I hope it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't surprise me! 

2nd Term is 5 maybe 6 years away. That’s another 5 or 6 years of dead Tory voters and (IMO) those looking for an alternative to Labour will not have forgotten or forgiven The Tories, especially as there will only be a rump of them left and again (IMO) a majority of nutters.

That will be when the LibDems have their opportunity to become a credible force again but obviously won’t win but may get to be the opposition

Demographics are completely against the Tories. The saying you’ve used about a week being a long time in politics is a micro thing. Election cycles are more Macro.

The defeat that the Tories are heading for will be worse than 1997. It took 3 election cycles, 13 years and a global financial meltdown for The Tories to recover and even then they just about managed to get a coalition together. Their staring point after the next election will be much much worse

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â