The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

They will get away with it as the public response has always been apathetic about this project and the potential transformation of the entire network and the benefits that it would deliver was never clearly promoted.

It is already the 2nd or 3rd news story today. It is a huge opportunity missed and yet again shows Britain's utter failure to invest in infrastructure since the Victorian days. Why would any big engineering firm ever put in competitive tenders for future big projects in Britain after this? It will destroy confidence for years, if not decades.

Levelling up was always a bit of a joke and really it should be dropped by now. Sunak clearly doesn't give two craps about this policy.

I don't think this is the case. The public want better connectivity and they're in favour of doing big infrastructure projects which generate jobs and pay back over decades once complete.

The reason for the negativity was because they didn't believe it was ever possible to come in at the budget they originally set out...and guess what, they were right. It's a good project but it's been mismanaged from day 1 because it's being led by incompetent halfwits who keep moving the goalposts and aren't willing to commit to it.

I have to confess I do have a dog in this fight as my brother works for HS2. He said a lot of the issues have been caused because the line is being subject to planning, environmental and legal challenges every which way because the people in Tory shires and the eco squad don't want it running through so they're having to do all kinds of mitigation work, building tunnels and other stuff. They should have reformed the planning laws first to get the thing built.

7 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

I have to confess I do have a dog in this fight as my brother works for HS2. He said a lot of the issues have been caused because the line is being subject to planning, environmental and legal challenges every which way because the people in Tory shires and the eco squad don't want it running through so they're having to do all kinds of mitigation work, building tunnels and other stuff. They should have reformed the planning laws first to get the thing built.

I guess in their defence (and that is something that I say very rarely), at the time such things were being legislated they were in a coalition with the Lib Dems, so the NIMBY wings of the governing parties were going to be even stronger than if it were just the Tories on their own.  

The rest of HS2 is hereby scrapped.

We will however finish the London end and build new infrastructure around Euston including a new station, a new business hub and housing developments.

It was never about getting people to London. Nope, never ever about London. 

(I’m genuinely not trying to be smug about claiming to have been right, I’m genuinely angry at the pathetic transparency of the lie from day 1)

I mean, he's currently talking about the massive opportunities this government offers to people coming over in small boats.

They could be prime minister in three generations apparently - and Suella, who hopes they drown instead, clapped like she meant it.

I've never been a smoker, hate the habit, but I'm very uncomfortable with the proposal for a gradually increasing age, such that people underage today will never be able to purchase cigarettes.

Raising the age in general, to 21 or whatever, fine, but the idea that someone who's underage now should still be getting IDed when they're 40 is just wrong, it's a horrible habit best eradicated, but if you're so committed to that, announce plans to ban it entirely, not "we can do this, but the next generations can get ****"

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

The rest of HS2 is hereby scrapped.

We will however finish the London end and build new infrastructure around Euston including a new station, a new business hub and housing developments.

It was never about getting people to London. Nope, never ever about London. 

(I’m genuinely not trying to be smug about claiming to have been right, I’m genuinely angry at the pathetic transparency of the lie from day 1)

I don’t think you were right back then. When it was first raised as an idea by Labour in 2010 it was about connecting places to each other and raising rail capacity and other shiny new laboury things.

Its morphed under the last 11 years since work started into something quite different. It’s morphed into a means for Tory pals to enrich themselves, with an incidental railway line added on. Now there’s less opportunity for further enrichment there’s not much point carrying on with it. Just finish the bits already half done and wrap it up and hope to gain a bit of kudos for saving money, rather than being responsible for humongous waste.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I've never been a smoker, hate the habit, but I'm very uncomfortable with the proposal for a gradually increasing age, such that people underage today will never be able to purchase cigarettes.

Raising the age in general, to 21 or whatever, fine, but the idea that someone who's underage now should still be getting IDed when they're 40 is just wrong, it's a horrible habit best eradicated, but if you're so committed to that, announce plans to ban it entirely, not "we can do this, but the next generations can get ****"

Another pointless talking point that can be thrown on a campaign leaflet.

The number of smokers is getting smaller each year. The number of people eating processed fast food crap is increasing, which leads directly to obesity and heart conditions.

How about they do something about it if they are serious about health? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Why would any big engineering firm ever put in competitive tenders for future big projects in Britain after this?

Judging by the bill for HS2 they gave that up some time ago.

15 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don’t think you were right back then. When it was first raised as an idea by Labour in 2010 it was about connecting places to each other and raising rail capacity and other shiny new laboury things.

It’s morphed under the last 11 years since work started into something quite different. It’s morphed into a means for Tory pals to enrich themselves, with an incidental railway line added on. Now there’s less opportunity for further enrichment there’s not much point carrying on with it. Just finish the bits already half done and wrap it up and hope to gain a bit of kudos for saving money, rather than being responsible for humongous waste.

Yep, I’ll hold my hands up and admit I was wrong to be so cynical.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â