The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Conservatives have been sending out leaflets in Rushcliffe (designed to look very non-Tory).

I've only lived here for approx. 8 years so not a long time in the grand scheme, but I've never received any political leafleting from any party.  Ever.  Tory safe seat since God knows when - but the area is pro-Remain (rare for Notts) and had Ken Clarke as MP for 1,000 years before Ruth Edwards came in (who by all accounts is invisible, very much unlike Clarke), so I imagine there's a decent shift in the polling and they're worried.

On 08/09/2023 at 13:41, bobzy said:

Conservatives have been sending out leaflets in Rushcliffe (designed to look very non-Tory).

I've only lived here for approx. 8 years so not a long time in the grand scheme, but I've never received any political leafleting from any party.  Ever.  Tory safe seat since God knows when - but the area is pro-Remain (rare for Notts) and had Ken Clarke as MP for 1,000 years before Ruth Edwards came in (who by all accounts is invisible, very much unlike Clarke), so I imagine there's a decent shift in the polling and they're worried.

86% chance of a Labour gain according to the Electoral Calculus site.

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

86% chance of a Labour gain according to the Electoral Calculus site.

A lot of that safeness was down to Clarke and not Tories in general, he bucked trends in that seat a few times, his vote share went up in 2017 when it should have gone down on trend and with the new incumbent in 2019 the vote share fell went it should have risen.

Polling won’t reflect that because the Clarke vote was there for decades and it wasn’t just his and his constituents remain tendencies, in evidence a lot longer than that iirc

Labour victory

As good a thread as any for this I think. Report was released today and who knew, but turns out even the poiticians admit Voter ID's was a really stupid thing to do.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/sep/11/voter-id-in-england-led-to-racial-and-disability-discrimination-report-finds

MPs and peers on the all-party parliamentary group on democracy and the constitution will publish a report on Monday saying the rules caused more harm than they prevented when they came into force in May, and will call for changes, including the acceptance of a greater range of ID documents.

The report was co-authored by Sir Robert Buckland, who was the justice secretary in 2021 when the bill to introduce the rules was first launched in parliament, and who subsequently helped vote them through.

While there is no evidence this changed the outcome of the local elections, the APPG report warns that if repeated at a general election, it could help swing the results of up to 16 constituencies.

It also says the rules are too reliant on decisions made by polling clerks and returning agents, which can be arbitrary and are not open to appeal.

The report’s authors call for ministers to broaden the types of documents that can be accepted as identification, and to allow those who fail ID checks to sign a legally binding declaration instead confirming their identity

15 hours ago, Chindie said:

Voter ID laws are always voter suppression tactics and are never good for democracy, but sometimes good for parties.

But in this instance f***ed the party that introduced them :crylaugh: 

• Haha 2

More death rattle

Widespread tactical voting would see the Tories return their worst election result in more than a century, shock new statistics reveal.

As Rishi Sunak’s party lags Sir Keir Starmer’s Labour by 18 points in the polls, it is on course to win 159 seats, Electoral Calculus predicts – down from the 365 it captured in 2019.

But new figures by the leading forecaster reveal tactical voting would cost the Conservatives an extra 35 seats, leaving them with just 124 MPs.

Indie

43 minutes ago, bickster said:

More death rattle

Indie

Sorry to quote myself but the Indie were being rather shit at their research in that article as I suspected. They said "their worst election result in more than a century", whilst yes, that would be true, it rather understates the magnitude of that predicted result

The Representation of the People Act 1832 changed forever the way parliament was constituted, so comparisons before that are irrelevant (you thinks its currently undemocratic, you aint seen nuttin)

124 Tory MPs would represent their lowest number of MPs in parliament since parliament was constituted as we currently know it or 192 years if the election is next year

You really could claim it would be their worst election result under the current system

Tamworth bi-election set for 19th October. It’s a very interesting one as a special case. There’s a lot of Brexity, racist throbbers here but also many blaming Pincher and the Tories for the decline of facilities and roads in the town.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Tamworth bi-election set for 19th October. It’s a very interesting one as a special case. There’s a lot of Brexity, racist throbbers here but also many blaming Pincher and the Tories for the decline of facilities and roads in the town.

Some Tory councillor called Andrew Cooper selected as their candidate.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Same day as Mid Beds, might as well bury double bad news in a single blow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

And thus Reform will do pretty well I think.  Hopefully that can work in Labour's favour though.

2 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

And thus Reform will do pretty well I think

The only times any party of Brexit Wankpuffery have had a genuine effect in the Tamworth constituency, they affected Labours share of the vote more than the Tories. I'm also not sure Reform are capable of obtaining the 18% of the vote UKIP managed in 2015. Every other year the Brexit Wankpuffers have polled less than 5%

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â