The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I really want someone to quiz them about the Rwanda plan.

Q1: Is it safe in Rwanda and will those sent there have freedom to create a new life once they arrive? 

A: Of course

Q2: Currently international organised crime groups are bringing people from all over the world to France and putting them in boats to the UK, why do you think they’ll not just traffic the people sent to Rwanda back to the UK?

A: ???

There is an answer to that question though. The main issue is the lack of ability to return people somewhere other than the UK, be it their country of origin, France, or a third country. If someone is deemed suitable to be sent to have their claim processed in Rwanda, if they rock up again in the UK then they will once again be able to be returned to Rwanda because there will be a return agreement in place. 

It may not be an answer that satisfies people, but if one thinks that the Rwanda policy is a coherent one (which someone who is being asked that question presumably does) then answering the question that you pose isn't a problem.  

14 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

There is an answer to that question though. The main issue is the lack of ability to return people somewhere other than the UK, be it their country of origin, France, or a third country. If someone is deemed suitable to be sent to have their claim processed in Rwanda, if they rock up again in the UK then they will once again be able to be returned to Rwanda because there will be a return agreement in place. 

It may not be an answer that satisfies people, but if one thinks that the Rwanda policy is a coherent one (which someone who is being asked that question presumably does) then answering the question that you pose isn't a problem.  

It doesn’t stop the boats though does it? That’s the point of this, stopping the boats. 

The policy is flawed as people sent wherever (at great cost) will surely just return the same way they did the first time, and it’s another branch for the international people smugglers to get up and running.

Edited by Genie

Is the Nick Fletcher tory MP that’s calling for a Minister For Men the same Nick Fletcher tory MP that claimed having a female Dr Who would lead men and boys to commit more crime?

It’s like, all they’ve got left is culture war.

They can’t be arsed to stop the schools falling down, but bloody hell they can get their core vote angry about unisex toilets.

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’ll highlight the flaw in the plan sending migrants to Rwanda, or anywhere else. They’ll just come back, on a small boat.

It's a system riddled with flaws, this one isn't specific to Rwanda. 

That people might try again is going to be a potential consequence of literally any proposed solution, apart from granting asylum to everyone who applies or killing anyone unsuccessful in their application. 

Edited by ml1dch

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

It's a system riddled with flaws, this one isn't specific to Rwanda. 

That people might try again is going to be a potential consequence of literally any proposed solution, apart from granting asylum to everyone who applies or killing anyone unsuccessful in their application. 

It’s probably why we never really returned anyone with the powers we had as an EU member.

It’s a stupid idea.

Process the applications, if they are deemed safe then let them stay as the evidence suggest they are beneficial to the country overall.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

In a shocking turn of events, I think it's not a terrible idea.

There are legitimate issues affecting predominantly men that would benefit from attention - why are over 80% of homeless people men. Why are men so much likely to commit suicide, or be locked up, why do boys have considerable worse academic results.

The problem we have with our political discourse is that everything is versus someone. Pushing for a focus on some men's issues is taken as a claim that "men have it worse" or trivialising women's issues, which it shouldn't be; wanting to do more for men's mental health doesn't mean denying the relevance of the gender pay gap. 

It's by trivialising or pushing against legitimate/decent championing of men's issues that pushes people into the arms of the likes of Jordan Peterson et al. 

I don’t disagree that the existing Health Department should take men’s health seriously, or that the Ministry of Justice should look at male offending patterns, or the Ministry of Defence should explain ex army homelessness. A separate minister though? Why not one for young men, and one for middle aged men, they have different problems. Why not one specifically for black men with businesses that employ more than 5 people. It’s just a splintering of resource.

It doesn’t require a tsar or a minister to be pitching in for budget against others.

First thing they are going to be asked, does a man have to have a penis. With Jimmy and his DSO from the Falklands War waiting in the wings depending on the answer. 

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Former Tory whip Chris Pincher to resign as MP after suspension over groping allegations, prompting by-election. 

BBC

This should be interesting.

The Tories have already dropped in Eddie Hughes to try and regain the seat but I can’t see it happening.

My money would be on a local councillor called Richard Kingstone who is going to run as independent. He’s an ex-Tory who was suspended by them twice.

Very opinionated and critical of the Tories, Labour and the Council.

Edited by Genie

22 hours ago, Genie said:

It doesn’t stop the boats though does it? That’s the point of this, stopping the boats. 

That isn’t the point at all. The point is twofold. Firstly to look like “we’re doing something”, and secondly to perhaps be a bit of a deterrent if it ever actually happens. But to be a deterrent it would have to be more than the few hundred spaces in a single hotel in Rwanda, given the numbers arriving in the UK. 

Meanwhile, currently the cost of housing all these people in the UK comes from the aid budget, but if they are deemed “illegal immigrants”, the cost will not be able to be taken from aid budgets, but will have to come from the Home Office budget instead. The throbbers didn’t think that one through.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Genie said:

This should be interesting.

The Tories have already dropped in Eddie Hughes to try and regain the seat but I can’t see it happening.

My money would be on a local councillor called Richard Kingstone who is going to run as independent. He’s an ex-Tory who was suspended by them twice.

Hughes isn't doing the by-election. So the Tories will have to pick someone who will sit there for a year, not stand and then Hughes takes over as candidate for the General Election. Talk is that his wife might do it. 

And I'd be amazed if any independent took the seat. If you think that this councillor chap stands a chance, then absolutely put that money on it. You'll get very good odds, I reckon. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Genie said:

Nice chap too. He works at my son's school and whilst he was mayor is was very involved with the scouts. Met him a few times, he's very involved and aware of local issues.

We had the labour candidate knocking doors a couple of weeks ago canvassing for opinions on what's important locally.

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Hughes isn't doing the by-election. So the Tories will have to pick someone who will sit there for a year, not stand and then Hughes takes over as candidate for the General Election. Talk is that his wife might do it. 

The Tamworth seat is being merged with Walsall after the next general election too. No Tory who fancies a long career is going to go for this one.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

And I'd be amazed if any independent took the seat. If you think that this councillor chap stands a chance, then absolutely put that money on it. You'll get very good odds, I reckon. 

What makes you say that?

He’s very popular in the north side of the town and aside from him nobody seems to want the gig.

Kingstone was also instrumental in the tactical voting to get rid of the Conservative run council.

Edited by Genie

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

That isn’t the point at all. The point is twofold. Firstly to look like “we’re doing something”, and secondly to perhaps be a bit of a deterrent if it ever actually happens. But to be a deterrent it would have to be more than the few hundred spaces in a single hotel in Rwanda, given the numbers arriving in the UK. 

Meanwhile, currently the cost of housing all these people in the UK comes from the aid budget, but if they are deemed “illegal immigrants”, the cost will not be able to be taken from aid budgets, but will have to come from the Home Office budget instead. The throbbers didn’t think that one through.

If ever anybody ends up in that complex in Rwanda I’ve got 50p says they’ll be back out a week later when its discovered it was built using RAAC they salvaged out of the Bibby Stockholm.

• Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â