The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 hours ago, bickster said:

Why on earth would anyone think this?

When has any Government stopped doing anything similar science / health  because of the outcry on Social Media?

ULEZ? - nope

COVID vaccine rollout? - Nope

COVID Lockdown? - nope

None of those were stopped because of SM all that happened was that some whoppers turned into bigger whoppers

They weren’t stopped but there were relentless misinformation opposition campaigns. 

34 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It'd be funny if he were just some bloke getting ready to open the set for his dinner with Jim Davidson, but Jesus Christ. He's the actual deputy Chairman of the actual Conservative party, not just a jester they wheel out at parties. People voted for this man. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Surely you cant argue conspiracy theorists hasnt escalated since the introduction of social media and the Internet?

What’s that got to do with what you said?

Of course they have

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

They weren’t stopped but there were relentless misinformation opposition campaigns. 

So they wouldn’t have banned smoking in public places because people would talk shite on SM? That’s what Dem was saying 

I reckon not

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

So they wouldn’t have banned smoking in public places because people would talk shite on SM? That’s what Dem was saying 

I reckon not

Potentially crossed wires, I don’t think for a second it would have stopped the ban but I think it would have been surrounded with more social media opposition.

2 hours ago, bickster said:

What’s that got to do with what you said?

Of course they have

Erm did you not read genies post that i responded to??

Not sure what your talking about

Edited by Demitri_C

18 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

How can they ban smoking at home? Or why even would they?

I’m a smoker and despite that, I agree with the smoking ban now in public enclosed spaces. Though you cannot argue that in a busy bar / club now all you can smell is BO and farts.

The government have banned marijuana smoking at home. It would be conceivable to ban tobacco smoking as well. 

On 28/07/2023 at 03:59, LondonLax said:

You get a chance to remove them at the next election. 

The job would be unworkable if you were faced with being voted out by factions of your political opponents on a weekly basis. 

Being voted out by factions is not the same as literally downing tools and not doing your job. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

warmer weather might be good

Um, it’s been pissing down all month. Ridiculous levels of rainfall. Completely unseasonal and unexpected.

so warmer weather, yeah, bring on climate change….

Oh. is it? Feck. But I wanted nice climate change, not soggy climate change.

• Like 2

On 29/07/2023 at 16:55, Genie said:

Potentially crossed wires, I don’t think for a second it would have stopped the ban but I think it would have been surrounded with more social media opposition.

Compulsory seatbelt wearing. Can you imagine the online backlash? 😂😂

Twatter would be awash with Russian bots urging revolution. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

On 28/07/2023 at 17:36, delboy54 said:

Interesting program on radio 4 yesterday (sorry no link) about the pollution caused by micro particles from tyres in the form of dust that we breath in. Larger particles are washed by rain into rivers and the sea and then into the food chain.

Acceleration and breaking causes more dust to be generated and there is a direct correlation between the heavier the vehicle the more particles generated. Therefore ironically, electric vehicles being in general heavier than their IC equivalent, generate more polluting tyre dust

On 28/07/2023 at 17:44, Davkaus said:

It's an interesting point, and as VED is reformed from being emissions based, and fuel tax is replaced by something else, I'd not be surprised to see the size/weight of the vehicle come into it.

I've not heard the exact argument you're citing but everything I've read suggests that due to regenerative braking, this is far less of a factor for EVs than ICE cars when it comes to brake dust though, itd be interesting to see just how greatly the weight of batteries affects the tyre pollution

I've seen this break dust argument. I suspect rather like the fact that all car parks are going to fall down because of the extra weight it's probably something pushed by the oil and gas lobby to rubbish EV'S. 

As @Davkaus says most people use one pedal driving rather than actually using brakes so the overall braking action of EV's should be much gentler.

But this whole weight thing with EV's is such a temporary thing.  Batteries are developing at break neck speed. Getting more and more energy dense. It will only be a couple of years before there is weight parity with ICE vehicles and they'll then get lighter and lighter. 

The reason I suspect its an Oil and Gas Lobby pushed angle is because with the race to SUV's cars have been getting progressively bigger and heavier for decades. Have you ever heard the same story touted about that change? 

No, because no one has been paying people to run such stories. 

If EV's create much more tyre dust then so do SUV's compared to the typical family car that used to rule the roost. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Well the Professor "whatshername" on the program didnt appear to be in cahoots with either side tbh.

She stated facts that irrespective of method of vehicle propulsion it's the acceleration and deceleration of a vehicle that creates the rubbing and wearing of the tyres in contact with the road surface due to differential speeds, wheel spin skidding etc and the heavier the vehicle the more the dust is generated. After all, tyres wear, in what form is this wear and what does it do to the environment was the topic in the program.

Not mentioned in the program was what difference road surfaces made to this pollutant

I wish I could link the program, but as an engineer I am interested at both sides of the IC and EV argument. I agree though that EV batteries will get smaller and lighter, but where are the materials to create the batteries coming from, disposal, and battery life are still issues that need addressing. The death of the IC engine is coming but i think for some countries it will be decades before this happens.

7 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

but where are the materials to create the batteries coming from, disposal, and battery life are still issues that need addressing. The death of the IC engine is coming but i think for some countries it will be decades before this happens.

If you are interested I really suggest you subscribe to The Fully Charged show and Everything Electric.  They deal with so many of these issues. 

1. There are many different types of battery chemistries coming on board each uses different materials

2. new batteries use far less material than old batteries so from eg a 10 year old Tesla battery you could probably now make 3 or 4 new ones

3. There are new sources of materials being found all the time. For example underneath Cornwall they're just starting to drill for Lithium to give us a UK source. There are a few other areas they are exploring around the UK as well. 

4. Most things described as rare earth metals are not usually actually all that rare. 

5. The biggest user of Cobalt by absolutely miles is the oil industry which uses it to refine oil into petrol. It's. Then burnt once and can never be used again. Every gram of cobalt that us used in a batter can be recycled over and over again. 

Did you know for example Apple reckon they will never again need to use any mined lithium? They've invented this robot that can take apart and strip every Apple battey they've ever manufactured and strip it down to it's component parts. And as said new batteries use much less than old ones.  A totally circular process. 

No reason similar robots can't be build for every type of car battery too. 

Below is a good starter video for Everything Electric.  I know they've done an episode where they went to see the Apple machine in action. 

• Thanks 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â